How much do you burn doing Zumba?

Options
Hey all!
I just got the Zumba Exhilerate dvd workout and I'm looking for a ballpark on how many calories it burns. If it helps, I'm 5'2", 235 pounds. I know it depends a lot on different factors, but the hrm I have now (mio drive) is way off! I figured if someone here is about the same height/weight as me, it might help.

Also, any recommendations on a new hrm? I know you get what you spend, but if anyone is having great luck with one that is not crazy expensive, I would love recommendations!

Keep kicking pals!
Cassie

Replies

• rmtuesley
    rmtuesley Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    When I am working hard ( really sweating) my heart rate monitor says about 580 for an hour. I am 5'3 and 150 pounds. I burned more when I weighed more, so you may burn more than that. I use one of the polar monitors with the chest strap. Totally with the money.
  • Ivey05131980
    Ivey05131980 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I THOUGHT I was burning like 800-1000 cals in an hour, but sadly, I only burn close to 400 if my Polar fit HRM is correct and i'm pretty sure it is. Still happy with 400, though.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    So many factors. Height/weight/gender/how hard you are working. I teach Bodycombat and you can sorta kick and punch and maybe burn 400 calories....or you can go HARD and burn 700...depends on how deep you wanna dig. :-)

I hated Zumba because I only burned like 350 or so calories in an hour....but that was just me.
  • redhot8779
    redhot8779 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It depends on different things, but you can burn 750-1000 calories an hours. I have lost all my weight so far through Zumba and became an instructor because of it. I haven't done any other work outs. Zumba all the way for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • run2jeepn
    run2jeepn Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    lift.jpg?w=529&h=369