Low Carb - Ketosis

Options
I just started a low carb diet yesterday. I only had 11g of carbs yesterday. Today I had the most horrible stomach cramps and the runs. What does this mean. Am I in ketosis, is it a major shock to my body. Help. Thanks

Replies

• valligal
    valligal Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Maybe the better question is what did you eat? Was it too much of something? Did you use any supplements to prevent carb absorption?
  • lclemur
    lclemur Posts: 11
    Options
    Low Carb is not for the weak hearted, that is for sure. If this goes on for more than 48 hours, call your doctor or nutritionist.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I have to do low carb because I have diabetes....but I could never do 11g a day. You can do low carb without going that low.
  • fluffychicken7
    fluffychicken7 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    It's highly unlikely that you have ketosis after one day. Just saying.
  • thevegankelly
    thevegankelly Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    If you start a new diet and are immediately concerned it's making you ill, then it's probably not a good way to eat. Eat more carbs. Carbs are nice.
  • d4ggl3s
    d4ggl3s Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm also on Keto and I stick to under 30g a day; you don't have to go as low as 11 to be in ketosis.

Your body may just be adjusting, commonly called Keto Flu. It manifests as basically any symptoms of a regular flu, but should go away within a week. Drink plenty of water.
  • RyanOnInsanity
    RyanOnInsanity Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm with valligal - sounds like a better question would be what exactly did you eat?

And no after one day of low carb it is not ketosis. in my experience the transition is marked by a couple of days of sluggishness but most report a week of 'keto-flu' like d4ggl3s mentioned.

as a side note, if ketosis is the goal here are two good resources to help get it right:

guide to ketosis - (especially check out section 3N to calculate carb requirements, there is likely room for a lot more than 11g)
    http://josepharcita.blogspot.com/2011/03/guide-to-ketosis.html

and of course keto on reddit!
    http://www.reddit.com/r/keto