How hard should you push yourself?

Options
Today while running (interval training), I switched to a fast walk for the last running interval because I felt tired. Was that a mistake, if I want to see results?

How hard do *you* push yourself?

Replies

• cschiff
    cschiff Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    bump, i'd like to see what others say too...

i usually try to do 1 minute more than when I think I really can't do any more! I usually get through that minute hah

curious what others say!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I typically push myself till I get injured. Repeatedly. But I'm not very bright.

Personally, my philosophy is that if I'm not pushing myself as hard as possible, what's the point?
  • Proyecto_AN
    Proyecto_AN Posts: 387
    Options
    My HRM dictates my intervals. I don't want a heart attack.
  • artickb22
    artickb22 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I love interval running, I usually will go until I feel like I just can't go one more second then push myself a min more, or one more interval, then one more...for me when I feel lightheaded or puke it's time to stop. Needless to say I only do that hardcore stuff 3 times a week, the other 4 days I workout I do lighter cross training keeping my heart rate in a prefered range via my heart rate monitor.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    My HRM dictates my intervals. I don't want a heart attack.

Throw away your HRM if you're letting it dictate your workout. You won't have a heart attack from working out too hard unless you've got some sort of heart condition, in which case you should be under the supervision of a doctor. Hell, especially at 26, you can pretty much do anything you want.
  • dnish53
    dnish53 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I push myself a little harder at the end, but only if I think my body can do it. The best answer I can give is listen to your body. There is nothing wrong with doing a fast walk if that is all you had to give.
  • LoveDreamSmile
    Options
    If I need to stop for less than 5 seconds then I do it..but I get right back at it and make sure I feel the burn good. So yeah I may stop for a very short time here and there but keep going..even if I feel like I'm going to die. Ha ha I can't afford to not push myself.
  • bonnykate
    bonnykate Posts: 123
    Options
    To those of you advocating to push until you can't push any more, is it just so that you feel like you maxed out your workout? Or do you see better results?
  • SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options

"I workout, because I can. When I get tired, or I am short on time, or I want to quit...I think about how lucky I am to be healthy enough to workout daily. Be grateful for your health and your ability to become STRONGER. Don't ever take it for granted!"

I'm a Black Belt, My Sensei/teacher says the reason a black belt is a black belt is because they don't give up ever

he also says " it is easy to and easy not too"
    easy to give are and easy not to give up......

"It comes down to a simple question: what do you want out of life, and what are you willing to do to get it?"

"eat clean and train mean and look lean"
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/borg-scale/

Tired is not very descriptive so it is hard to give a precise answer. If your breathing is under control and your heart rate is within healthy limits, its fine to push yourself until you reach your goal (time/distance). Its also fine to stop because you feel tired. You have to listen to your body. You want to push yourself, but if you feel your form slipping at the end of a long workout, backing off to regain good form is always preferable.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Your body (to a point) adapts to how much it is challenged, so that it's capable of meeting that challenge the next time. If you don't challenge it, it won't improve. Stopping because you're 'tired' is kind of missing the point, IMO. Unless by 'tired' you mean you're seeing spots or losing your balance or something.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    What Serpwidgets said.

If I'm feeling tired...I try to remember to push myself.

If I feel dizzy or sick or start to feel increasingly overheated or stomach sick or have joint related or things are ripping pains...I pushed to hard.
  • muayqis
    muayqis Posts: 72
    Options
    I typically push myself till I get injured. Repeatedly. But I'm not very bright.

Personally, my philosophy is that if I'm not pushing myself as hard as possible, what's the point?
    Likewise, which is why i have spent the last 6 months hobbling from injury to injury unable to train.

Depending on the kind of intervals you're doing probably has an impact.
    for example, Tabatas *pet peeve*
    cut from http://www.tabataprotocol.com/

<i>If you research the Tabata Protocol online, the original study conducted at the National Institute of Fitness and Sports in Tokyo, Japan used highly-trained endurance athletes in peak physical condition. They would do 8 (or more) intervals, keeping the RPMs on the bike over 85 RPMs <u>until they couldn't maintain that level of intensity</u>. </i>

So those are top level athletes performing until they can't maintain a crazy-high level of intensity

<i>Your Maximum Heart Rate is normally calculated as 220 Minus Your Age (e.g. if you are 30 yrs. old, your Max. HR would be 190 BPM - Beats Per Minute). If you do the Tabata Protocol like they did it in the above study, you may see your heart rate shoot up over 200 BPM!</i>
  • iammisscarlee
    iammisscarlee Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I push myself until I feel like I'm either going to injure myself by continuing or until I'm breathing so fast that I absolutely need to stop to catch my breath. I have a heart condition though called arrhythmia, which in my case isn't very serious but I am very aware of not over doing it because of this.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    If it's intervals, you should be gasping (note I didn't say just breathing hard) at the end of each one. Recover and repeat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body.

I got to the point at the end of 2012 where I was pushing myself way too hard. I wasn't eating enough to make up for the stress I put on my body. I was starting to feel tired all the time and was falling asleep in my favourite classes. I left the gym once so pale my roommate said she was worried.

Yes, you see change outside of your comfort zone, but if your body is telling you to walk for a bit, then walk.