Honey or sugar

Options
just wondering your thoughts on honey. I made the switch to honey in my coffee and tea... love it ..but wondering if its just as bad as having sugar? Hearing different opinions and wondering..it is natural and unpasteurized..
new to this whole thing.. and want to stay away from artificial sweeteners..tried stevia and didn't like it.. :happy:

Replies

• herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Honey and sugar both affect my blood sugar levels the same. Honey tends to be less processed and I've been told that eating local honey might help with allergies.
  • fluffychicken7
    fluffychicken7 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    If you were to ask a Vegan they would say it's animal cruelty. If you ask an omnivore, they will probably tell you sugar is sugar. Try some raw sugar like Turbinado.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Agave nectar is awesome, it's a lot like honey but it mixes well in cold drinks.

Not that I consume a lot of it because it messes with my blood sugar.
  • OneEyeUp
    OneEyeUp Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Honey has a ridiculous amount of micro-nutrients that far outstrip any calorie considerations. You should be eating honey for life in general. Raw honey that is.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    Honey has a ridiculous amount of micro-nutrients that far outstrip any calorie considerations. You should be eating honey for life in general. Raw honey that is.

This
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Neither is better. Or rather neither one is better nutritionally at least not by much. But, I am one of those sugar is evil people. Yet, I haven't cut it out completely, I have just cut way back in favor of eating more fresh fruit.
  • _rozamu
    _rozamu Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    From everything I have researched raw honey actually has a lower glycemic index than regular sugar, by quite a bit. O use honey because its natural, hardly processed (raw) and better for you.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    There's also granulated honey. It works well, is convenient, and it's good for you.
  • skinnytayy
    skinnytayy Posts: 459
    Options

THIS.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Honey is essentially no different to sugar.
    If you like it, use it, but use it sparingly.
    As to the purported health benefits - I would question whether there is hard evidence to support claims that mainly appear to come from grower associations.
    It will be worthwhile consulting your doctor regarding honey intake if you are suffering or at risk of suffering from diabetes.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • babycakes1970
    babycakes1970 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I made the switch from white sugar to raw local honey a year and a half ago. My husband recently became a vegan and made the switch too. We both agree that raw,local honey is by far superior to sugar. I have noticed a big difference in my health. I have not had a cold or sore throat since I started consuming raw honey.My husband has noticed the same thing.In fact I no longer even consider raw honey as part of our grocery bill. I go to a local farmers market and spend roughly $60 a month just for good local honey. We consider that money spent on wellness.
  • fluffychicken7
    fluffychicken7 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I made the switch from white sugar to raw local honey a year and a half ago. My husband recently became a vegan and made the switch too. We both agree that raw,local honey is by far superior to sugar. I have noticed a big difference in my health. I have not had a cold or sore throat since I started consuming raw honey.My husband has noticed the same thing.In fact I no longer even consider raw honey as part of our grocery bill. I go to a local farmers market and spend roughly $60 a month just for good local honey. We consider that money spent on wellness.

You are aware that eating honey isn't vegan right? I wasn't being facetious when I said it. Outside of killing bees at harvest (for ethical eaters) honey is an animal product that contains animal proteins and animal ferments from regurgitation. If you're eating honey then you're not a true vegan.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    unless you are consuming mass amounts of either of these you are majoring in the minors.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    unless you are consuming mass amounts of either of these you are majoring in the minors.

right here.

I enjoy the taste of honey the most.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options

right here.

I enjoy the taste of honey the most.

I use a tspoon of raw local honey in my yogurt or one cup of tea a day. It tastes good and i dont seem as bothered by allergies.
  • mlcantwell
    mlcantwell Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Honey is yummy!
    I only use sugar for baking, honey or maple syrup is my go to. I would only use a small amount, like 5 grams, to keep the calories down.
  • TX_Aggie_Dad
    TX_Aggie_Dad Posts: 173
    Options
    Did a search for "coffee and honey" and saw this discussion from the other day. Count me into the camp of noticeable improvement in allergies. One tablespoon of raw local honey in my coffee each morning. I've gone from pretty rough seasonal allergies to almost no allergy symptoms at all for the last year plus. My wife concurs that she has experienced a similar result.