Looking for suggestions from fellow hypothyroid MFP members.

Options
I know that we aren't really supposed to have soy products, but what else should I avoid, and what should I have more of? Is there anything special that you focus on in you day to day fitness routine. I am open to all suggestions, and would be very thankful for any tips, tools, recipes, or anything that you might have that might be helpful. Thanks! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• aweightogo
    aweightogo Posts: 24
    Options
    OOPS! I didn't know about the soy thing. I am interested to see what else folks say.
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I'm interested as well.
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    :grumble:
  • tucker131
    tucker131 Posts: 13
    Options
    I know that diabetes is a concern for us. Almost 2 years ago I tested borderline insuline resistant and then when I got pregnant I had gestational diabetes. I strongly suggest you east as healthy as possible and exercise to avoid diabetes. I am doing tons better now. I eat a lot of fresh, low fat foods and I exercise almost daily (I take Sunday off). I am down 20 pounds after having the baby, but I am at the same weight I was when I was diagnosed before I got pregnant. I feel better though because I eat better and I exercise. Good luck!
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    I too am interested in this topic as well.:flowerforyou: Yes,.. stay away from soy foods...
  • philenam
    philenam Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I read that anyone with hypothyroidism should not regularly consume amounts of brocolli or cauliflower, occasionally is okay, but not too often. I like both so I was disappointed when I read this.
  • allylang1
    allylang1 Posts: 2
    Options
    I never knew about the soy either.... Why can't we eat soy?
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Soy has a component in it that disrupts your hormones. If you do shakes and what not, whey is the better option.

I second the taking care of your body because of risks of diabetes. I was also borderline IR, and may still be IR, because I've found the only way I can lose weight is to cut sugar and refined carbs.
    That would be my suggestion. Try a low GI diet and see if it works for you. It should. Just the diet and heavy exercise (burn 4-500 cals 5-6 times/week) actually brought my TSH down about .2 in 3 months.
    Still waiting on longer-term results.
  • tucker131
    tucker131 Posts: 13
    Options
    I wonder if I should have my TSH retested after I hit my target weight.
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Your doctor should be re-testing your TSH every 6 months to 1 year anyway, so you would automatically have it re-tested correct?
  • Sarandipity
    Sarandipity Posts: 1,560
    Options
    Yes you should. The amount of medication you are dosed with is weight dependant. The less you weigh, the less you should need to maintain your levels. I ensured my Dr retested me when I had lost 60lbs to make sure I wasn't severely over medicated and he is now back to testing me every 3 months to make sure I am at safe levels. I haven't had my dose change drastically yet, but it has changed a couple times over the course of my weightloss.
  • jeweljade
    jeweljade Posts: 93
    Options
    I didn't know about the risk of diabetes. That's not a good thing for me because it already runs in the family. I heard that brazil nuts are loaded with selenium which is something we are supposed to have. And I heard we are supposed to have iodine and I like to eat wakame (sea kelp) for that. I appreciate all of the suggestions thus far. Please keep them coming.
    ~Julie