IPOARM- Stupid to follow?

Options
2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    It's just two different methods. Essentially TDEE method vs NEAT method. They're both valid and in my experience come out about 6 of 1.

When I was doing MFP and eating most of my exercise calories back I was averaging around 200 - 2100 calories gross; when I switched to TDEE - 20% I was around 2,050 calories but didn't have to worry about fueling my exercise because it was already in the calculation.

I think NEAT is a good method for people new to exercise or those that may otherwise be inconsistent because they don't have to worry about if they missed their routine for a few days or whatever...as long as they meet their goals, they will lose. TDEE is not forgiving when you skip workouts because the formula assumes you are doing everything routinely and consistently.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Here's ipoarm in a nutshell:

eat as many calories as you can to maintain as much lean mass as you can while cutting fat.
    You'll notice most of my people don't have huge drops in weight but report big drops in inches.
    That's natural fat loss.

Exactly this.
    When someone who sees me at the gym day in and day out commented that I had lost a load of weight (when really it was half a lb here, half there) it was an amazing validation. It's not about the number for me anymore - it's all about the proportions!
  • casy84
    casy84 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I had no idea about this method because when I joined MFP I just used the phone app and never read the forums. Because of this I stayed at 1200cal for months. I did lose the weight slowly(avg 1lb/week), but when I was done I just looked skinny fat. Now I've upped my cals, slowly started to work out and things are improving. I think that using the MFP estimation is not good enough. I loved what the scale showed, but the mirror... not so much. Now I've gained ~2lbs, but my measurements got smaller.
  • loranch
    loranch Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    I adore IPOARM. I've lost more the last month that I did in the 6 months before that. I happened to join a DietBet that directly coincided with starting IPOARM, here are pics to show what just one month did:

march2013-apr2013.png?w=292&h=300
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I always wonder why people sign up for one system then have to go looking for a way to change it. MFP works as it is and you only eat more if you exercise more - surely a great added incentive!!
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    I always wonder why people sign up for one system then have to go looking for a way to change it. MFP works as it is and you only eat more if you exercise more - surely a great added incentive!!

Actually, MFP doesn't work for everyone. When I followed MFP's guided versus IPOARM, I started losing, finally, after following IPOARM v.3 and it's been awesome. MFP has guided options, but also allows you to set your own goals - which means I can use MFP and IPOARM together.
  • Tendlr
    Tendlr Posts: 17
    Options
    bump
  • oldbooh
    oldbooh Posts: 15
    Options
    bump