I want to try to get into running

Options
Any tips for beginners? Nervous to start, don't want people staring at me lol, If you were nervous when you first started, how did you overcome it?

Replies

• drop_it_like_a_squat
    drop_it_like_a_squat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    No reason to be nervous! :)

There's actually not much to care about; running is the most naturally work out. Just make sure you have the proper running shoes for your feet, e. g. the right cushioning.
  • abideedum
    abideedum Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I started C25K (google it) Its great and following a program makes me feel like im in training so if anyone criticizes me im like 'sorry im in training' Also i go fairly early in the morning when the only people around are runners who literally dont care that your there :D
  • White_n_Nerdy
    White_n_Nerdy Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have really bad asthma, so running on the treadmill was always something I avoided. I was worried that I would start wheezing and everyone would stare at me. But one day I got on the treadmill. I didn't go very fast, and I eased into it. Just take it slow, and don't worry about what other people think of you. Do what you want to do!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    i started a year ago and i love it now,,, when i first started, oh i was panting like crazy, i am real good at it now, YOU CAN DO IT!
  • mariagabriella
    mariagabriella Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I think you need to change your attitude into - I'm going to get into running. (Everytime I said I want to try in regards to running.. I never did it).

Alternate walk/run. have fun :)
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I decided to start running too. I'm going to start next week & use C25K (Couch to 5K) since so many people seem to have enjoyed it, & I looked it up & it seems really feasible to me.
    Although I was always very active, I haven't been able to run since Jr High because asthma I got then. I wish to defy odds. :smile:
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    C25K

Just f what other people think! Who cares? All you are doing is concerning yourself about others, they aren't concerned with you. If you saw someone running would you judge them negatively? No, you'd be thinking "Man, I wish I was doing that right now".
  • SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    3 weeks ago, i started at a gym, I was worried too, didn't last long, I go to the gym all the time now
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Shoes on, one foot in front of the other, head up and away you go. Start off slowly and in time your pace will increase, as for being nervous don't. Whether you can run 100yards or 10miles you're still running and if you're concerned about what people might think when they see you, again don't as you're getting out there and making it happen. People can only have respect for you.

Get on out there and most of all enjoy it, alone time with the road is one of the best feelings there is. Tunes on and you're off :)
  • RickNeedzToGetShreaded
    Options
    A decent pair of trainers, Try to run further each day, really isn't much else to say :) I can run 3 miles in 17mins now, when I started a year ago a couple hundred yards and I was dieing, it depends if you're going jogging or high Intensity, I prefer running quickly as jogging is boring.
  • grizzlymaze
    grizzlymaze Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Running is an awesome thing, however, it can be scary when first starting out. We all look at ourselves in the mirror with a different view point. I like my wife is sexy and hot where as she thinks she is ugly and fat. We all see differently that that messes with our emotions. Running is no different! I'm not skinny by any means but love to run, so when I go running I sometimes think people see a huge whale coming down the street. But the secret is i don't care! I'm out there doing it where other people that judge are sitting on there rear end. I"M DOING IT! Enough said, right? Not always...

For a beginner, I suggest running with a friend. A true friend will never judge you and will always encourage you. Download the C25K program on your phone and any up-beat music to make you move. I love the Rocky theme song! Take it slow, you don't want to get injured right away. That will discourage you from trying again! But most importantly, DO YOUR BEST AND FORGET THE REST!!!!!!

Have fun out there and enjoy the fresh air.

Cheers!
  • grizzlymaze
    grizzlymaze Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Get on out there and most of all enjoy it, alone time with the road is one of the best feelings there is.

I have to totally agree with this! Running outside is not only refreshing, but its my favorite time for prayer. Its my "alone" time with God. Thats a daily for me!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Any tips for beginners? Nervous to start, don't want people staring at me lol, If you were nervous when you first started, how did you overcome it?

people might stare, but who cares....
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    C25K, good shoes and patience. That's literally all it takes. A good pair of headphones and a thousand yard stare helps with the embarrassment too. Do it for you, do it because it's a challenge. Every week when you "level up" in c25k, high five yourself and attack the next week. Learning to run is its own reward.
  • GrabacrPD
    GrabacrPD Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Take it slowly so you dont develop shin splints (speaking from experience) C25K is a very good system but I advice using High Intensity Interval Training.

Run for a minute, walk for a minute and build yourself up that way.
  • mum2candd
    mum2candd Posts: 37
    Options
    I just started running a month ago with a friend. Booked ourselves in for a 5k run at the end of May so that was the motiviation to do it. Alternate between walking and running at first and try to increase the running time gradually.

Go for it - its such a great feeling after you have been for a run
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Just run. It's what we do as kids & it comes naturally. Just move your legs & run. Simple as that. I only started running Sept 2nd last year, but by Oct I was running 10km a day.... still am. I could not run to the end of my street before that. Just run.

Oh and get the Zombies Run! app. Don't bother with a C25K app cause basically they teach you not a damn thing IMO. Just run till you can't. Then run more till you can't the next time. You are going to feel like your lungs will burst, but they wont. Don't stop when your mind tells you to.... you are not going to die, you are NOT going to give in.
  • happystars82
    happystars82 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I'm 246lb and I don't give a poop if people stares at me belly and bits flapping about, at the end of the day i'm trying to do something about it......good luck
  • adairbrum
    adairbrum Posts: 68
    Options
    Start today with 10 min walk and run for 2or3 mins walk again for another10mins fast
    Tomorrow add 1 more running min and so on
    Or
    Don't count running mins walk for 10 so you can worm up and see a distance like the next corner or light post and run to it not fast just paced walk a bit and run again the same distance Tomorrow add a few steps to that distance
    Remember to always worm up and stretch before any exercise
  • adairbrum
    adairbrum Posts: 68
    Options
    Run a bit more every day worm up and stretch before and always use a very good bra