5,2 230lb

Options
blondy2013
blondy2013 Posts: 31 Member
Hello everyone how many calories do you think I need to lose weight is 1200 to low is there any 1 who started same weight as me x

Replies

• dianamatienzo
    Options
    I didn't start at that weight, but could you tell me a bit more about your lifestyle? Are you on your feet all day? Or sitting most of the time? Do you exercise regularly? If so, how often? Those things are important to estimate a caloric intake for you :)
  • blondy2013
    Options
    I do no exercise at the moment I am not in my feet that much x
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing your age but the calculators seem to suggest your BMR is around 1800, you should be eating above that. Go to http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ and enter your details choosing "Lose fat - 20% calorie reduction" Be honest with your activity level :flowerforyou:
  • blondy2013
    Options
    Ok thanks and am 27 x
  • chelseasunrise
    Options
    Have you logged a day of your usual eating before? It might be a good idea to do that and then start by taking calories away a few days at a time. You don't want too much of a huge change as you might have trouble sticking with it. If you don't think you would have any trouble though 1200-1400 should be okay.

Edit: oh yep I just saw the post above about your BMR and it does look like your BMR is a lot higher than mine so I would start higher if I were you! Sorry about that! There are a number of good BMR calculators available just through google. But I calculated 1820 for your current BMR.

Good luck :)
  • PrinnyBomb
    PrinnyBomb Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I'm 28, 5'3 and currently 232lbs (started at 328). I'm currently on 1400-1500 and eat back any exercise calories. Working pretty good so far. I started on about 1800. find what works for you and try not to lose too quick
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Ok, Your BMR is 1814 if the number it gives you is below your BMR move up to "Lose fat - 15% calorie reduction" and so on :drinker:

ETA: If you use this method you DO NOT need to eat back exercise calories
  • dianamatienzo
    Options
    I would say to start around 1,400 calories. The calories MFP gives are too low, in my opinion, because it assumes people will eat their exercise calories back. I think that's silly. I use the custom setting for my goals and set my carbs to 40%, protein to 35%, and fat to 25%.

I would maybe recommend 45/30/25 (carbs/protein/fat) for you, but we are all different, so experimenting is the only way to ever know what your body needs for sure. I would really recommend trying to hit those macros, but as long as you're at a caloric deficit, the macros don't matter. I just recommend hitting your macros so that you mostly lose fat, keep a good amount of muscle, and have plenty of energy :) Also, don't get hung up on losing "a pound a week" or something like that. Give it time and don't get discouraged :D It takes slow, permanent changes to have permanent change. Changes that are too quick are, in most cases, too good to be true and won't last. That's just some advice :] I hope I was helpful!
  • blondy2013
    Options
    Thanks every1 very helpfull but what are macros x
  • Hleaver
    Hleaver Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I started January 10th this year at 300 pounds and I am 6'4" I kept to 1200 calories and I am down as of today 51 pounds. I don't think 1200 is too much it is just hard to get used to such a small amount of food. But you do get used to it I promise
  • Brenda4105
    Brenda4105 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I started at 232. I have my calories set for 1600. This was a compromise from what the doctor wanted me to eat. They wanted 1800-2000 a day. I have lost 42lbs since the first of this year. I haven't started any regular exercise program yet. I know I will have to if I want to keep losing.
    What you talked to your doctor about losing weight? They will estimate calories high but you can always adjust. The one thing they did tell me that made sense was never eat under 1200. If you do and hit a plateau you won't be able to eliminate any calories to break the plateau.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I strive for about 1450 or so. That seems comfortable for me. But I don't own a scale or have access to one, so I'm going by measurements. Overall, in two weeks of eating well and swimming every day, I'm down a could of inches, that's preadolescent out, a quarter inch here, half inch there...

I'm heavier than you. But I'm weightless in the water. :smile:
  • dianamatienzo
    Options
    Macros are macronutrients; carbohydrates, protein, and fat :) They are essential to have a healthy, balanced body and all serve in conjunction. Having too much or too little of one can make someone feel sluggish, sick, and not get good results.

For example, eating too little carbs can take away from someone's strength and overall energy. Fat is essential to balance hormones, and protein is needed to maintain muscle during weight loss. Those are really vague explanations though.
    I just googled macros and got this better explanation if you're interested:

http://www.mckinley.illinois.edu/handouts/macronutrients.htm
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!