Still an insecure 17 year old girl inside I guess...

Options
Over the 4th of July weekend we went camping along a river a few hours away from where we live. A place where I felt comfortable wearing shorts and a tank top etc. In the late afternoon after the families had left for the day I was sitting alone on the beach by the river in my lawn chair while Ron went to go get me a choice beverage. (Yes I was being a woman of leisure). When along came a boat full of teen age to 20-something young men in cut offs, no shirts and about 2% body fat. They felt the need to slow the boat down, point and laugh at me. I wanted to crawl under a rock and die.
Wishing I could say that motivated me, but it did not. Actually the opposite. I left for the trip feeling good about the last years weight loss but then realized that I have so far to go before I am not a freak show. Ey ey ey ey. Why do I even care? Why is this even still bothering me? I am possibly old enough to be their mothers and am happily married. Next year will be different. Hopefully those boys will have grown up and I will be a few sizes smaller.

Shannon

Replies

• rero
    rero Posts: 24
    Options
    umm you do realize a lot of males this age do not have a brain right?

just ignore them and continue pushing on because in a couple of years those same boys could be sporting beer bellies and receding hairlines
  • mooz
    mooz Posts: 101
    Options
    I've had that happen to me a few times. Normally I just flip the bird and I'm on my way. One guy actually got really pissed at me for doing that and started arguing with me - he had his kids with him. I calmly told him that HE was the one who insulted ME first and it set such a great example for his children. He didn't have too much to say after that.
  • Robin66
    Robin66 Posts: 103
    Options
    I'm so sorry that happened to you, people young and old need to look at themselves inside and out and realize that we all have flaws. I think that these young men have a lot of growing up to do and have more issues themselves than carrying around some extra weight. Stay strong!
  • Robin66
    Robin66 Posts: 103
    Options
    Oh and by the way you are a beautiful women.
  • rcatr
    rcatr Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Oof. To sound like a fellow insecure 17 year old...boys, like, totally suck, right?

Luckily you're with a man. :) Who loves you and appreciates you and who you want to be healthy with/for the rest of your life.
    I know it's easy to say that we're going to be confident and find confidence in so much more than our looks but man, it's tough. I say..one day at a time. Who knows if the 17-year old ever leaves....but I think we have to let the grown woman give the teenager a good talking to and tell her to focus on the more important compliments we get from the people who matter :flowerforyou:

Big hugs.
  • HeatherCanDoIt
    HeatherCanDoIt Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I am sorry to hear that you had to deal with that. You are going to do great things and reach your goal and you will have the last laugh!
    Good Luck!
  • MrsRLD
    MrsRLD Posts: 25
    Options
    Thank you everyone. Last year I lost about 60lbs before a I hit a stall. Time to move forward!
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    They may have had 2% body fat, but 98% fat between the ears. :angry:

Just do what you need to do for yourself and forget about those creeps! :flowerforyou:
  • Melanie1967
    Melanie1967 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Remember you are doing this for you, not them. I was always that way also. And I always tried to loose weight, because of what everyone else thought. I didn't want my kids embarassed of me. Well, guess what, SCREW them! This is about me, me, ME! I am tired of feeling this way, looking this way, and having health issues from being obese. Did you hear that? OBESE! A word that was never in my vocabulary. Until I did it for me, it didn't work. Until I realized I was obese, I thought dark clothes hid it. THEN, as my kid's would say, "the ****'s on"! Now, I don't care what people think about the way I look. I was a 195 lb pole dancer last Friday. Didn't care what people thought. (hope my hubby wasn't embarassed)! THIS IS FOR US! You know, I have 8 kids, 5 mine, 3 his. He has a daughter that has always been a burden to us since teenage years. One day she called me a "fat *****". I said you know what, that's right, but I can change that. You will always be a "stupid *****"! Can't wait to look her in the eye and say TOLD YA SO!
  • nikki_zav
    nikki_zav Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't it be nice of all of those boys insecurities showed on the outside? What would most of their mothers do if they witnessed their sons laughing at a woman like they did to you? (I guarantee not every one of their mom's is in perfect shape either). There is probably a group of girls out there right now all gossiping about how small or terrible those boys are in bed....thinking about that gives me a good laugh. :)

Great job on your weight loss so far. I know some days its hard and you want to do this for you, but use it as fuel to help you keep working hard towards you goal. Something similar happened to me when I was walking around NY city a few months ago. As someone else said, I flipped em the bird, and kept on my way.
  • MrsRLD
    MrsRLD Posts: 25
    Options
    Ah, you ladies have some intestinal fortitude that I could really learn from. Yes those guys are nit wits. Hopefully they will grow up to be patient husbands like Ron. But that is really not my problem. My problem is losing 10lbs by the end of the summer and this will not be solved by dwelling on the past.