Portion Sizes

wmphimu
wmphimu Posts: 77 Member
As I'm working harder at getting healthy, one of the things I realized is that while I generally eat healthy foods, I eat WAY too much of them. My portion sizes are way too big. For example, once I weighed the chicken breasts, I realized that one chicken breast is actually 2-3 portions! So, my question - for those of you who have come to the same realization - how long did it take before you got used to eating "real" portions of food? I know it's not going to be overnight - was hoping for some advice from those who have BTDT. THANKS!

Replies

• I actually order chicken that is in single portions. I found some weight watchers already in single portions chicken. Makes it a lot easier.. :) I do the same with my Fish. I get the Gorden's fillets. They are great. :D
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    With things like chicken, as long as it fits within my limits 'real' portions don't matter to me. It took me a good few months to get used to the portion size of rice and pasta! Now it's just the norm'
  • nekoface
    nekoface Posts: 149 Member
    I realised my portion sizes were too large - pretty much when I started weighing my food to log onto myfitnesspal and looked at the side of the box. I've been putting my rice into little rice bowls and that helps limit the portion a lot. I now try to bulk up my meal with vegetables so I will be less hungry despite eating smaller portions. I pile a lot of salad onto a bowl of pasta so I have to trudge through a heap of salad to get to my pasta, it does help.

I think the craziest portion size though is for cereal - 30g what!? That's a few spoonfuls for real. I'm still not sure if that's a child serving or a regular adult serving.
  • richh963
    richh963 Posts: 78 Member
    I weight everything with a food scale, to the amount of one serving, I have a scale that gives me all the marcos for that amount of food. the scale is called perfect portions, bought it at bed bath & beyound
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    I began immediately reading labels. Now it is second nature. I pick something up and look at the nutrition label before I purchase it. I was also surprised (and disappointed) to find out the added sodium content for frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Now I only buy fresh ones. Portion size is way smaller than I knew on everything.
    It is definitely an eye opener.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,032 Member
    I eat the size portion that I'm hungry for, as long as it fits my calories!
  • jbruced
    jbruced Posts: 210 Member
    I have wondered who exactly determined what a real portion or serving size is for any given food. What criteria was used?
  • I bought a food scale a couple months ago and it's made all the difference for me in getting to my goal weight. I highly recommend one!
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    I weight everything with a food scale, to the amount of one serving, I have a scale that gives me all the marcos for that amount of food. the scale is called perfect portions, bought it at bed bath & beyound
    I weigh everything out as well. My boyfriend and I both cook a lot at home so it's easy to do with the right scale. Once it's weighed, it's relatively easy to judge the calories. It takes a LONG time to realize what a proper proportion/serving is! hang in there, and weigh everything. If going out to eat, take along a cheat sheet chart or make sure you go to places that have their nutrition on a website that's easily obtainable. Just remember that restaurants take just the main dish into consideration and you have to add in the sides and appetizers and drinks!