33lbs lost in 5 months - MFP works!

Options
WaimanaloMan
WaimanaloMan Posts: 165 Member
I wanted to share my humble success with the forums in the hope that maybe some people who are starting out can get something helpful from it. I started MFP in April 2012 weighing about 210lbs. A family member suggested I check it out, and I downloaded the app not expecting much from it. I had never dieted before, and had been pretty active, but had very little knowledge of how to eat in a healthy, balanced way.

The first two weeks or so were difficult! I had to learn which foods were balanced and not too high in calories, fat or sugar. I laugh when I look at my diary from when I began this, such funny food choices but I was a beginner! My wonderfully supportive Wife and I started our MFP diaries together, we logged all our food, and became proactive about exercising even a little every day.

After 5 months I had learned so much, how to eat a balanced meal, how to exercise in a smart way, and most importantly how to lose weight in a safe way without starving myself or using any tricks to get ahead. I have become a much better cook, I have made some fantastic friends on here and I feel so much better for all the effort we put into this. The only exercises we do are high-paced walks and kettle bell cardio and strength routines (KettleWorx).

33lbs is tiny compared to what some people have lost, but for me I am at my goal weight. I just really wanted to say that weight loss and healthier living are completely achievable if you just put the effort into it. Our success was based solely off eating balanced meals and working out, and *always* prioritizing safety. I am grateful for my progress, my goal now is to maintain my weight, and to achieve some modest muscular tone so I can make my better half blush :D

I also wanted to add that an accurate kitchen scale, and a heart rate monitor with a chest strap are two of the most useful things we have found to help us out, when we first began logging without these two things. MFP estimated our calorie burns as way too high, and we were eating back calories that we didn't actually burn off! The kitchen scale is awesome for getting an accurate weight on portions sizes too.

So thanks MFP and my friends for your support, I've learned a lot and I'm still learning!

Replies

• Daysednconfused
    Daysednconfused Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • NHoughton13
    NHoughton13 Posts: 303
    Options
    That's awesome that you and your wife did it together. While my husband is supportive, he's not yet on board himself. I agree completely about the scale and HRM.

Congrats on your success!!
  • Mbrowne55
    Mbrowne55 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your post. I completely agree with your HRM point, I too find the MFP calorie counter for exercise way too high. And a HRM is just a great tool anyway.

I like the fact that your wife and you did it together. I've gotten my husband on board too. He doesn't log but he is eating much better now and has lost more weight than me ????

Well done!
  • SimplyDenyse
    SimplyDenyse Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    awesome!
  • AnnieWoodLong
    Options
    That is very encouraging to hear! Way to go!
  • Cappie356
    Cappie356 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Your post is inspiring.:happy:
  • sunshinesquared
    sunshinesquared Posts: 2,733 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! I couldn't agree more with everything that you stated, even down to the kitchen scale and heart rate monitor with chest strap. Although I have been a MFP member since January, 2012, I didn't get really serious until January of this year. Down 20 lbs. and haven't felt this great in a long time. Congrats again on a job well done!! :)
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Congrats :) That is awesome!
  • WaimanaloMan
    WaimanaloMan Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks for all the kind words, I posted this, then went out for a walk and when I came back what a nice surprise! :D
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!