Are a lot of us miscalculating our TDEE?

Options
2»

Replies

• marshallexi
    marshallexi Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I like this calculator, it's very simple.

It's got my BMR at 1318 and my TDEE (desk job) as 1581.

I walk for my commute to and from work every day (6.5 - 8 km) so I set my calories at around 1850 to cover that.

If I do a run during the week I try to eat back those calories, but rarely eat them all.

I'd say my numbers are pretty bang on right now.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    I work on a ward but do long days (8am-8:30pm or 8pm-8:30am) so on average 3 days/nights a week. I am on my feet most of the time on days, if I'm not specially someone or monitoring someone, but on nights I'm sat down most of the time.

I am currently doing TDEE-20% using the scobby workshop calculator. With that my TDEE is around 100 calories more than the OPs calculator, the same with my BMR. I use light activity, is this correct for me?
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I work on a ward but do long days (8am-8:30pm or 8pm-8:30am) so on average 3 days/nights a week. I am on my feet most of the time on days, if I'm not specially someone or monitoring someone, but on nights I'm sat down most of the time.

I am currently doing TDEE-20% using the scobby workshop calculator. With that my TDEE is around 100 calories more than the OPs calculator, the same with my BMR. I use light activity, is this correct for me?

The calculators are only starting points.

If you do one plan for a month or so and are losing weight at a pace that fits with your goals, then it's correct for you!
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people are. Even people who exercise, if they have a desk job and they don't do anything around the house at home except watch TV or play on the computer.

I've got a desk job, and I've got a small house that doesn't take much effort to move around in. When I got my pedometer working again, I found that unless I make a concerted effort, I'm not moving my step count from the sedentary range to the lightly active range. And adding an exercise class a few evenings a week? Wouldn't be enough either!

Its even very possible to engage in formal exercise several times a week and still be, realistically, sedentary.
  • xprplstardust
    xprplstardust Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I use the TDEE method, I work out a minimum of 1 hour a day 5 or 6 days a week. I'm currently doing insanity, plus I walk 4 miles daily (weather permitting) & use my elliptical for about 10 or 15 min in the morning before leaving for work. I have a (dreaded) desk job, but because I work out so much, I have my activity level set to Moderate Activity (3-5 hrs a week of moderate exercise) altho I'm sure it could be higher but I don't want to overcompensate. I manually overrided the MFP calculations & I log my time spent exercising but I change the calories burnt to 1 & I don't eat back anything since the TDEE method already accounts for my exercise. I am currently eating 1700 calories, 5'6, 125 pounds, I am looking to wittle my waist & hips down while gaining muscle mass & am not worried about the number on the scale. I want to look better in my bikini with a flat stomach & abs, muscles, etc.
  • dulinh
    dulinh Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have always wondered about that... thanks for posting.
  • drewshottgirl
    drewshottgirl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My TDEE -20% is 2,194, high activity. I do Insanity 6 days/week along with other activities. I manually set MFP cal goal to 1500. I can log my exercise, eat it back. That usually totals 2100 calories, net of 1,500. I still feel I have enough energy for all I need to do.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    That website has my TDEE at 1530, but my BodyMedia says it's more like 2000-2200. I think I'll just keep eating my 1800 or so. :flowerforyou:
  • bigdgeek
    bigdgeek Posts: 88
    Options
    I put my activity level at 'sedentary' because I have a desk job, but the amount it has for me at sedentary is 1340. My RMR, which I had tested at the Cooper Institute in Dallas, is 1340! I know I'm burning more calories than just my RMR and my workouts, right? I thought RMR was the bare minimum for what you needed to stay alive if you were lying in bed all day.

I've looked at various calculators and they put my TDEE anywhere from 1890 to 2250 plugging in the same activities for a 126 lb 37 year-old female.

Confused...