Strength + Agility Building recommendations

Options
This summer I am going to be apart of a sports tournament that includes running long distances, tackling, and being able to pivot quickly. I am an experienced runner and can go for long distances but need to work on the other two as well as aiming throws.

I have done free-weight training in the past, but am not sure if that's really the way I need to go to get the strength and agility I need here. Thoughts? Recommendations from other sports players? Sharing workout routines would be appreciated.

Replies

• DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Look into plyometric training. It will help your explosive strength and power that all games players require. Lots of jumping, leaping etc. Maybe incorporate some circuit training and intervals into your workout.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    in for the advice as i'd like to improve this

when I used to play ice hockey I found stair running really good for agility, i.e. up and down two at a time, especially down... I still do this now lol)

plus on ice and off ice activities where you have to change direction frequently and watch where you put your feet.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Yeah, plyometrics. I was actually chatting to a PTer about this a while ago. He got his clients to stand at 90 degrees to a box (box jumping one, not just a cardboard box :bigsmile: ) then jump up, rotating round to land on the box (and then stand with the box on the other side). So, if you need to be able to pivot and throw then just practice pivoting and throwing. You could also try powerlifting - cleans, snatches, push press - as these train your body to move as a single unit.

Also stuff like circuits with kettlebells, Bulgarian bags and Indian clubs can help.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I'd don't know much about agility training, but their suggestions sound good. you might also throw in some suicides, turning quickly at the line and sprinting back.

For strength, the best way is challenging weights for you, and low reps. 2 sets 6-10 reps, plus your warm ups with lighter weight beforehand. Focus mainly on your compound lifts. The link for my routine is below, but any program that goes with that criteria,
    with progressive overload will work. Try to find the one that works best for you.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147447933

lots of good info from lyle these are a few to get started.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/training-frequency-for-mass-gains.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/categories-of-weight-training-part-1.html
    follow the links for part 2 and 3

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/category/muscle-gain/eating-for-muscle-gain
  • n3ver3nder
    n3ver3nder Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    PEDANTRY ALERT!
    . You could also try powerlifting - cleans, snatches, push press - as these train your body to move as a single unit.

Powerlifting is the sport of Squat, Bench and Deadlift. Snatch, Clean and Jerk and their related assistance are weightlifting techniques.

However, training the fast lifts will help.

For agility do agility drills, agility ladders, box jumps, length jumps, dashs etc

I'd maybe program it something like this:

Monday:
    Snatch - building up to a 'heavy' triple/double/single, whatever you're comfortable with
    Squat - volume 5x5/3x8 or whatever rep scheme you want
    Bench - volume
    Some light pulling eg dumbbell rows, face pulls etc, just for shoulder health

Tuesday: LISS, throwing (for accuracy, not distance), band pull aparts, rotator cuff exercises etc to negate any shoulder issues from throwing.

Wednesday:
    OHP or push press volume. I'd do 5x5 for OHP and 8x3 for push press
    Agility drills
    Sprints
    Pull-ups
    Technique practice on the fast lifts

Thursday: same as Tuesday

Friday
    Squat Intensity - a new 5RM/3RM/1RM whichever floats your boat
    Bench Intensity - a new 5RM/3RM/1RM
    Cleans (not too heavy, as warmup for deads)
    Deadlift - new 5RM or 3RM

Saturday same as Wednesday

Sunday off
  • darrensurrey
    Options
    PEDANTRY ALERT!
    . You could also try powerlifting - cleans, snatches, push press - as these train your body to move as a single unit.

Powerlifting is the sport of Squat, Bench and Deadlift. Snatch, Clean and Jerk and their related assistance are weightlifting techniques.

However, training the fast lifts will help.

Ok, maybe I've misunderstood the terms. Mind you, wasn't this all invented in the Crossfit box? :bigsmile:

In any case, I do find stuff like power snatch, push press and hang cleans useful and more enjoyable than deads, squats and bench (although these three I do weekly irrespective of what other lifts I perform).
  • n3ver3nder
    n3ver3nder Posts: 155 Member
    Options

Ok, maybe I've misunderstood the terms. Mind you, wasn't this all invented in the Crossfit box? :bigsmile:
    I find I don't like the cut of your jib, sir.

I enjoy the fast lifts more sometimes, they can be more fun, but I've found the slow lifts more useful, they've had a greater impact on my health, size and sporting ability. And there's nothing like making eye contact with a slack jawed curlbro as you're locking out a nice heavy deadlift.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I'd do a full body workout a few times per week. And do agility drills/running on my off days.

The main lifts, squat, bench press, deadlift, etc will help with strength.

While the olympic lifts CAN be useful, they take a lot of time to learn to do properly, so using them to develop speed in a short amount of time isn't the way to go.

Squat more, run more, look up agility drills, box jump.
  • darrensurrey
    Options

I find I don't like the cut of your jib, sir.

I enjoy the fast lifts more sometimes, they can be more fun, but I've found the slow lifts more useful, they've had a greater impact on my health, size and sporting ability. And there's nothing like making eye contact with a slack jawed curlbro as you're locking out a nice heavy deadlift.

I've noticed a few Pins on Pinterest which seem to suggest that things like snatch jokes are only things Crossfitters get.

Yeah, I know what you mean about the slow lifts. I do them because they're useful for developing strength but I like fast lifts, too, because they're fun.
  • Dgold13
    Dgold13 Posts: 14
    Options
    This summer I am going to be apart of a sports tournament that includes running long distances, tackling, and being able to pivot quickly. I am an experienced runner and can go for long distances but need to work on the other two as well as aiming throws.

I would lift weights and pratice what you will be doing, you could set up cones to pivit around, make a course and time yourself. Find some targets, a tree, stopsign, a tire and throw whatever you will be throwing at them.
    A sports tournament sounds fun.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Run, Lift Weights, and Practice.

Measure your progress in those three, and work to improve consistently.

The high school by me leaves their football tackling dummies out, and don't mind if I use them on the weekends.

When I played football and rugby we used to do a lot of box drill variations to develop our agility.

There's really no magic to it.
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    As far as agility, definitely look into plyometrics, but you can also do cone drills:
    1) Set up a triangle of cones and run to one, stop, turn, run back, then to the other...
    2) Side shuffles between cones and touching each cone--try to do it quickly
    3) Look up agility ladder exercises as well--they are harder to describe but good youtube videos and if you don't have a ladder, you can still get the idea of the movements
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Basic barbell core lifts are the best way to improve overall body strength and coordination in a way that translates to athletic activity. Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Press, and Overhead Press. Were I you, I'd do two days of heavy training each on Squats and Deads, and one day each on BP and OHP, and a third day to work on explosive movement with the same lifts (ie-speed work, concentrating on lower weight, but moving the bar as quickly as you can with proper control).