Exercise Help

Hello All, I am new to Myfitnesspal, I am working on my third week. I have a question about the exercise I am doing although I am down a few pounds I have seemed to put 2-3 back on the last week or so. I exercise 5 days a week. 45-60 min. a day on an elliptical machine. Why in the world am I gaining again and not losing? Should I be working out for a longer period of time?
I have really gotten discouraged that I am not seeing any real results. UGH

Replies

• ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Bump

Ladylove5683, it might be helpful to know a bit more about you (age, weight), your fitness goals, and your nutrition (make the diary viewable by others). Maybe some people who have experienced similarly, can provide some advice or suggestions?
  • Still pretty discouraged :cry: :mad: UGH
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    2-3lbs is well within normal daily/weekly body fluctuations. Give it more time and worry more about longer term trends in weight rather than short term fluctuations.
  • _kannnd
    _kannnd Posts: 247 Member
    Three weeks may not be enough time to gauge it. Weight fluctuates. Are you taking measurements? That's more dependable than the scale. Also, what are your calorie goals?

You seem to be working out a lot, so you need to be making sure you are fueling your body with good nutritious foods. I looked back at your diary, and the days that you do log, you are logging less than 1000 calories. You definitely need to eat more.
  • Well it has now been more than only three weeks and there really is not much change. The only real difference I can see or feel is that my incline and speed on a treadmill has increased a lot. So at least I feel like I have slightly more stamina than before.
    No, I have not taken measurements but I think that is something that I am going to start doing cause the scale is just bringing me down. I do notice that I eat less than the recommend 1200 but sometimes it is really hard to get there. I never in a million years would have realized it would be so hard to eat 1200 Healthy Calories. When I do eat that much I feel so blah the next day.
    I just have felt so stuck the last week or so :mad:
  • carolyn0613
    carolyn0613 Posts: 162 Member
    You are losing weight - 10lb in 3 weeks? That's a LOT! I think most people here will agree that you are in it for the long haul and patience is the key. Remember how long it took you to gain the weight you are trying to lose. MFP recommends that you lose 1lb a week, and 1/2lb once you get close to goal. You have got 45lb to lose according to your ticker, so that's nearly a year. So you can't let yourself get disheartened already!

One of the things I like about this site is all the motivational stories. I recommend you have a look at some of those. The ones that talk about NSVs are great - NSV is non-scale victories and are little incidents that boost people, like fitting into a pair of jeans, or having someone compliment you. I love those stories. Keep a note of your own ones and read over them when you feel like nothing has change. People also say that taking photos is good because you can see what has changed. I have seen ones where someone is wearing the same clothes - those are great. You could do that too

Good luck and please add me as a friend if you want
  • Thank you all for the kind words and the motivation to keep going... I just have bad days sometimes where I feel that I am trying so hard and still feel as tho I am getting nowhere.... Slow and Steady is going to have to do it... The longer I stay at it, hopefully by this time next year I will be pleased with the last year :happy: