Gained 12 lbs in 2 months.....

Options
I just put in my updated weight, I'm afraid it is not a joke, I did in fact gain 12 lbs in 2 months.   

In Feb I had a steroid shot for allergies which made me hungry, I figured it would last a few days and I'd be okay.  I wasn't.  The steroid shot messed up my cycle.  In had a normal AF then the next cycle had AF for 16 days.  I was hungry, crazy hungry.  It was very frustrating because I've been keeping track of my food for 3 years and I know what I can normally eat and not be hungry and that food was no longer enough. I can't let myself be hungry, I have a history of eating disorders and when I was anorexic I liked being hungry and I'm terrified I will start that again.  I also has crazy sweet cravings and aversion to meat and cheese.  

After having AF for 16 days I went to my primary dr who gave me progesterone pills and it stopped. Next cycle I was then 14 days late and I went to a different dr, my OB is retiring so I figured this was a good time to find a few one.  I needed help ASAP! I had trouble sleeping at night because of the weight I gained and my plantar fasciitis was back after not bothering me in years.  I got in right away with the nurse practitioner who did bloodwork and everything was fine.  She gave me an rx for birth control pills.  The nurse told me to start them the Sunday after AF started.  I asked her to clarify with the nurse practitioner because I thought she wanted me to start taking them right away, and she did want me to take them right away.  

I went to get the pills and when I came up I started spitting.  I decided to wait on the pills.  AF has now stated full force.  

I'm not exaggerating that today is the first day in 2 months I haven't been starving.  So what do I do now? Should I see what happens or take the pills? 

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Take a deep breath. I gained when on steroids too, but I lost the weight without even trying. Personally I don't like the pill, but if you think it would help, take it.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    The steroids definitely will cause you to gain weight and stay in your system for a crazy long time. Once it's gone, I bet you'll start losing again.

As for the other issue I'd take the pills. A lot of people use pills to regulate their monthly. Pretty common.
  • emandbri
    emandbri Posts: 45
    Options
    Thanks both! I'm doing so much better! For the last two months I have been hungrey within two hours no matter how much I ate but food is keeping me full longer now.

Still torn about the pills. I wish I had a magic 8 ball that woukd tell me if this AF would be normal or not. I'm thinking it might not be normal because I didn't have cramps and no heavy flow like I normally do. When I had it for 16 days it was medium flow the whole time. So I'm thinking taking them is the best course of action. The nurse said to start sun after AF so today is when I should start them.
  • emandbri
    Options
    I am feeling so much better! I've still been a little hungrier than normal but not nearly as bad as the last two months! Lost 1.2 lbs since AF started and I feel much less bloated.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    i can beat that i put on 12 in 1 month! wait.....
  • emandbri
    Options
    Aw Katy_trail that bites! Hugs!
  • emandbri
    Options
    I'm so very frustrated! My planter fasciitis is now so bad I can barely walk. I bought new tennis shoes and arch supports and last week got cortisone shots last Tuesday but them went to the zoo Wed which apparently was a horrible idea. It wasn't too bad at the zoo but has been really bad ever since. In desperation I started low carbs on Mon hoping losing weight fast would stop the pain. I have done low carbs in the past and always had great success, this time I've GAINED! I'm eating the same stuff I ate the previous times. I'm so very frustrated! It is also hard to do my job, I have kids I watch and I can't sit all day. I also have babies I would normally wear but I'm scared to put any extra weight on my feet.

Any ideas why low carbs isn't working this time?