Another open diary up for review please!

Options
I know weight fluctuates and all, but I have not lost a pound in over a week and I have been exercising and eating my calories. I can't figure out if I should be eating lower or not. I feel like I have cleaned up my diet a lot compared to what I used to do so I am just looking for suggestions from others who have been successful with this weight loss journey...I am still fairly new to it (I just started in March)! Thank you !

Christine

Replies

• majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Diary is not open.
  • mickeyullrich
    mickeyullrich Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Sorry...I just changed the setting...I thought it was :embarassed: !
  • SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    change you food and exercise up

doing eat the same foods day after day / wek after week

change up you excerise

diff time, diff speed, diff activity

not sure how much you are training, you may have built muscle as you have lost the fat, so it willnot show on the scales

start using a tape measure

anyone can add me
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Yeah, scales can be so frustrating. If you're retaining water, had a big meal or lots of sodium the day before, if it's that TOM, it can really be deceiving. If not already doing so, factor in body measurements, pictures, and how you're clothes are feeling into your weight loss mind set. Perfect example, according to the scale I gained 2.4lbs one week but the jeans that were a tad too tight the week before fit perfectly that morning.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I agree that the scale can be deceiving--not showing a loss for a week or two is not uncommon, especially for women. However, I looked at a week of your diary, and see that although your goal is around 1400, you usually net less than 1200--almost certainly below your BMR. If you've been doing this for a while, you could have slowed your metabolism a bit. You might double-check that your numbers are where they should be (see link below), or at least try eating up to your goal every day and seeing if that makes a difference. You definitely should NOT be lowering your calories, since you're not even netting 1200 now.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    more protein, more patience, eat your exercise calories, and keep at it!
  • danelledawnc
    danelledawnc Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I know weight fluctuates and all, but I have not lost a pound in over a week and I have been exercising and eating my calories. I can't figure out if I should be eating lower or not. I feel like I have cleaned up my diet a lot compared to what I used to do so I am just looking for suggestions from others who have been successful with this weight loss journey...I am still fairly new to it (I just started in March)! Thank you !

Christine

I gave up with the scale... I have been working out 4-6 days a week, (mixing it up with bike riding, running, weight lifting, hi-intensity sprinting, etc. - after all variety is the spice of life) and stay well within my calorie limits. Technically speaking from the scale, after 3 months I have lost 3 pounds (my weight fluctuates so much). The first 6 weeks was so frustrating for me (I kept thinking, why in the heck am I not losing!?!?). BUT, in the course of those 3 months, I measure with a tape measure 1x per month. In total I have lost 4 inches around my waist and 3 around my hips, so I must be doing something right :) I also notice that on the weeks that I have more weight lifting, I, overall feel "thinner and leaner." Good luck!!!!
  • taylorxpaige
    taylorxpaige Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You have a varied diet, which is good, but I would recommend more protein and less added sugar. I only went back a few days, but from those few days I noticed that you drank sugary coffee drinks (International Delight Iced Mocha; Starbucks). While those drinks are certainly very delicious, and should be enjoyed from time to time, they are empty calories. In consuming a grande iced skinny carm. macchiato you had nearly 31 grams of sugar. That's almost as much as a slice of cake. If you reduce the amount of added sugar in your diet, I am almost positive that you will be seeing results. I forgot to check but do you eat your exercise calories? If so, this could also be why you are not experiencing weight loss as you might be overestimating how many calories you have burned.
  • mickeyullrich
    mickeyullrich Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone...all the input is very appreciated! I have been trying not to eat all of my exercise calories because I am afraid of not losing and I have been adding my exercise over at fitbit because they seem to give me less calories burned for my exercise. I did ask for a Polar heart rate monitor for mother's day that gives calorie burn so hopefully I will be getting that :0)!

I have been on a gradual detox from Starbucks...it has been a huge downfall for me since having kids, so I definitely need to work on cutting all of that sugar out for sure! As for the protein, I was wondering if you had any input into other sources that I could add in. I really do appreciate the input :smile: !
    Christine
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I'm learning to increase my protein, as well. I don't know why, but it's something I really have to think about (maybe because for so many years, all I really thought about was rice, potatoes, and pasta!).

I'm finding protein in meats, eggs, garbanzo beans, black beans, cereals (some are high protein, but watch those carbs!), nuts, avocados, tuna, milk, greek yogurt, cheese, peanut butter, lentil soup, broccoli, spinach, and peas.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    A week is not sufficient time to identify a problem with weight gain or loss. There may be many weeks you do not lose a pound and many weeks you lose or gain more than one. Two or three pounds variance from day to day is not unusual due to changes in salt consumption, excretion amounts and the like. Weight loss also tends to slow down as you get closer to your goal. You have lost 20% of the 64 pounds you want to lose according to your ticker so you must be doing something right! Patience.