Insanity

Options
Hello Everyone, I am writing about insanity results when I am looking at the reviews and peoples transformations i am seeing lots of people who are lean in the first place and aren't large like myself. Has anyone done it who has a large amount of weight to lose? Or is it best to wait until you have lost the weight and are toning? Thanks xxx

Replies

• SusanUW83
    SusanUW83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I tried Insanity for about a month; I added in Biking and Running for so the first month's schedule took about 3 weeks longer. I had trouble with all the up - down parts (getting up and down from doing pushups) and I'm only about 40 lbs overweight. They say that if you can't do the fit test, then do one of their other programs before you start Insanity.... it was also very hard on knees, ankles, feet because of the plyometrics. (Jumping up and down) If you can borrow a disk from someone suggest you try before buying...
  • Healthytobex2
    Options
    Thank you for info I have 42 pounds that I want to lose so will do some of my Jillian Michaels DVDs first
  • Kreider86
    Kreider86 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have a lot to lose and am on day 5, lvl 1 of Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. So far so good. It hurt at first but now I feel good! maybe try someone a little less intense first. I haven't tried insanity but my co-worker did it.. she runs, she's healthy and she said she was laying on the floor in her own sweat! lol. Scared me so I will wait on that one :P
  • karenckuhn
    karenckuhn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have 60 pounds to lose and didn't start losing any of it until I started insanity. Just do what you can and do modified versions until your body starts to strengthen. When he is doing 8 push ups, I'm doing 2, but at least now I can do a push up! He reminds you thorughout the video that form is most important, the rest will come.

Also, if you used to be an athlete in high school or college, this will just be like a walk down memory lane and training camp.
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I started it at 173. I think I have a lot to lose. I'm almost done and have hardly lost any weight :/ But I have lost a lot of inches. I think it would be beneficial for you. Just keep in mind it is VERY intense!
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I made a post very similar to this one about a month ago. My original start weight was 240, I am 5'7". I lost about 33lbs before starting Insanity but i still have a long way to go and I'm still in the obese category according to BMI. I started Insanity on April 9th and I have been loving it. I can't do EVERY move but I try my hardest, pour my sweat into it, move as fast as possible when Shaun tells me too to get my HR up and burn calories. I end up burning about 400-500 cals per each 40 minute workout, so I know I'm not slacking or just going through the motions. It is a very intense workout but it isn't impossible. I noticed the same thing, the before pics on the infomercial are of slim people then they're just more toned after, none of them look like me! I have lost 6 lbs in the past 2 weeks doing Insanity and my size 16 jeans get a little looser each week :) Good luck to you, you can do whatever you put your mind to!
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Thank you for info I have 42 pounds that I want to lose so will do some of my Jillian Michaels DVDs first

I also did Jillian Michaels 30 day shred in March before doing Insanity. I believe this was a very good foundation before starting Insanity. I lost 11lbs and lots of inches doing the 30 day shred, it works!
  • 4bidndonut
    4bidndonut Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just finished Insanity right after P90X - was in terrible shape at the start, made good progress in 3mos of P90X, but the 1st month was a cardio shock for me, but the 2nd was really no joke.
    I set my caloric net target at 1.5 lb/wk and stayed conservative (using a HRM to estimate calorie burn and tried to undershoot by a bit to compensate for any optimism in the device). I ended up losing about 2 lb/wk - 19.6lb over the 9 weeks - which has been my consistent target over the last 5 mos.
    Just go as hard as you can, take plenty of breaks and enjoy your success!
  • donna1432
    donna1432 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have completed Insanity, in fact I have a support group /challeng group on facebook if you are on there Id be happy to put you in it just friend req me for more information.. it is a kick butt workout and YES you can do it !!
  • abbotini
    abbotini Posts: 7
    Options
    Started insanity at 248lb, I'm down 8lb and I've just finished week 4. However, I was eating too little for the first 2 weeks, so didnt lose any weight at all. But, this may be down to increasing muscle mass while burning fat.

A note about eating too little... Insanity guidelines work! Insanity suggests for me to eat 3000 calories, but I was only eating 2000 because I thought I would shift fat faster. Doesn't work that way (for me at least). Since I have upped my calories closer to what insanity suggests, my results have improved a lot!

Also, the more important figures (body measurements) have fallen. Have lost 2 inches off my belly and boobs in the first 4 weeks. Also, my fitness and flexibility is so much better now than at the start.
  • goalss4nika
    goalss4nika Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I have ALOT of weight to lose. I could stand to lose 100 pounds, but my goal is 80 right now. I did the fit test sunday and nearly died BUT i think it's a great challenge. I say DONT LIMIT yourself. I am currently 276lbs. Is it difficult? SURE it is but I believe it's well worth it. Good Luck :-)
  • donna1432
    Options
    Many of the results photos you see are real people like yourselves and they just modify they push they stick with it and they have the accountability to help them get thru it.. the results are def worth it :)
  • sarahi2009
    sarahi2009 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I say go for it, keep in mind that it is really HARD on your knees...so if you have problems with your knees (like I do) you should modify it a little, you will get the same burn just not the knee pain to go with it..good luck!
  • donna1432
    Options
    Its a lot harder suffering the pain of obesity then kicking your butt with Insanity.. the pain and soreness will go away from working out!! Are you in a challeng group setting?
  • donna1432
    Options
    great job keep up the great work!
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I have ALOT of weight to lose. I could stand to lose 100 pounds, but my goal is 80 right now. I did the fit test sunday and nearly died BUT i think it's a great challenge. I say DONT LIMIT yourself. I am currently 276lbs. Is it difficult? SURE it is but I believe it's well worth it. Good Luck :-)

I did the fit test with almost no weight to lose and almost died the first time. It's hard and it's a shock to anyone. If you can stick to doing Insanity without quitting, then do it.
  • bogden78
    bogden78 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I started MFP back in Oct at 240lbs. No way I could have done Insanity then, I was so out of shape. I did 30DS, RI30 and BFBM first. It definitely helped me work up to the ability to do Insanity now. I started month 2 yesterday. I'm not saying that you couldn't do it now, many people do, but I needed to start off a little slower and work my way into it, to get a bit fitter and more confident in my abilities.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!