I think I am doing something wrong...

Options

Replies

• selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're starving your body. Eat 1600 calories a day and don't eat back your 'exercise' calories.
    She's currently eating 1200 + 300-500 in exercise calories. That's not really that much different from what you're suggesting.

yes, but im sure she isn't exercising 7 days a week.
    Her weekly roundup of calories is most likely still very low therefore her average is definitely lower.
  • smanning1982
    smanning1982 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Im about the same size as you. 5"5 and now I am down to 153 (started my diet once again at 162.5 three weeks ago)

If I do any type of excersise routine I don't lose weight. I don't know why! I just doesn't happen. However, if I do not exercise and just stick to 1200-1300 calories a day I usually lose 2 lbs a week. I have 4 kids so I am still pretty active, I just don't exercise on a regular basis. I'll do a 5K like once every 2 months and I usually won't lose anything the week I do!
  • selina884
    Options
    Sounds like you're starving your body. Eat 1600 calories a day and don't eat back your 'exercise' calories. Make sure you get around 130g of protein a day.

This is what she's already doing in a sense if she eats 1200 cals and eats back her 300-500 exercise cals a day -_- which ends up being between 1500-1700 cals or so in a day.

Just repeating:

yes, but im sure she isn't exercising 7 days a week.
    Her weekly roundup of calories is most likely still very low therefore her average is definitely lower.
  • CrystalDreams
    CrystalDreams Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    measure yourself.... Its probably muscle and water.
  • smb0701
    smb0701 Posts: 234
    Options
    are u breastfeeding?
  • ShimmerKitten
    ShimmerKitten Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    You sound to be burning a lot, and i think theres a bit of a limit to how much you should eat back.
    Try eating half of what you work off back, and see if that helps?
  • selina884
    Options
    If your clothes are fitting better - it probably is an increase in muscle mass.
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're starving your body. Eat 1600 calories a day and don't eat back your 'exercise' calories. Make sure you get around 130g of protein a day.

^^ THIS
  • tubzzy77
    tubzzy77 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    She's currently eating 1200 + 300-500 in exercise calories. That's not really that much different from what you're suggesting.

My apologies but to me in her first post it sounded like she ate 1200 calories total which included the exercise calories.
    I net 1200 cals/day (I eat back my exercise calories)
  • arains89
    arains89 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Maybe I need to up the protein and cosistantly stay at 1600 accross the board. I generally eat about 90g of protein. Gah this is too hard can't I just keep eating healthy and working out daily and gradually lose the weight and tone up??? So annoying when you are working so hard. And for the record, I don't let myself go hungry. I eat like every 2 hours and I stay full... Very frustrating.
  • selina884
    Options
    Maybe I need to up the protein and cosistantly stay at 1600 accross the board. I generally eat about 90g of protein. Gah this is too hard can't I just keep eating healthy and working out daily and gradually lose the weight and tone up??? So annoying when you are working so hard. And for the record, I don't let myself go hungry. I eat like every 2 hours and I stay full... Very frustrating.

It will be an ideal starting point.
    How much protein are you consuming at the moment?
  • arains89
    Options
    And in addition it is very discouraging because I have this voice in the back of my head that says "no matter how hard I work I will never be smaller than this." I haven't been under 155 since highschool and that was still slightly over weight. I feel like perhaps this is just where my body will stay and is meant to be and I will never be the trim and slim version of myself that I am working so hard to become. I guess everyone feels like that sometimes...
  • smvarnam08
    smvarnam08 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I gained weight when I first started. I was very discouraged. People told me I was gaining muscle. WHATEVER I knew it wasn't muscle. After about a month of sticking with it, the pounds started to come off slowly and then eventually saw a bigger loss. Just stick with it and you will see results. I have to remind myself that I didn't gain weight overnight and therefore it isn't going to come off overnight either.

I gained weight at first too. That weight gain has come off (almost 10 lbs), but I am basically stuck at my original weight. However I keep losing inches! I was just reading about actually eating more calories so you don't put yourself in starvation mode, so I am trying to add 100 calories to my daily goal each week until I get up to about 1600 calories per day.
  • jakeabhau
    jakeabhau Posts: 30
    Options
    How long have you been stuck at this "plateau?" For me, I went from 223 to 195 in a few short months. Then, for 6 or 7 weeks, I hung around 193-196. It didn't make any sense. I would get down to 190 and then catapult back to 197. It was frustrating. 7 pounds is a lot and doesn't help wit the motivation. But, I stuck with it. And now, it's been nearly 2 months and I am down to 187.

I had to keep at it for TWO WHOLE MONTHS! I kept telling myself, "It's basic math. Calories in vs. calories out." And guess what? I was right. It just required an awful lot of patience.

Hope that helps.
  • arains89
    Options
    It been 6 weeks or so. I have been between 156-160 fluctuating... That is forever... And I started at 172 and got down to 156 and now am up and down from there
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    How about you just eat the 2300 cal a day you should be eating, and not worry about the exercise calories. You are active enough to be eating at TDEE, and don't have that much weight to lose. Your body is probably just pissed at you for trying to kill it. That much exercise will create the deficit on it's own, and you will get to your goal in a couple months and your hormone levels will me a lot more normal.
  • lovelyladyJ21
    lovelyladyJ21 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    It could be a number of things.

It could be your body holding onto water. How much water do you drink on a daily basis? It could be your muscles holding in that water to help repair them.

It could also be that your not getting enough calories, I was working out almost every day and I wasn't seeing any weight loss I was actually seeing weight gain. I have since upped my calories and have started seeing those lbs I did loose start to come off quite easily actually!!

You could also be loosing inches, I know that I wasn't loosing weight but I did loose about 6 inches!
  • arains89
    Options
    How about you just eat the 2300 cal a day you should be eating, and not worry about the exercise calories. You are active enough to be eating at TDEE, and don't have that much weight to lose. Your body is probably just pissed at you for trying to kill it. That much exercise will create the deficit on it's own, and you will get to your goal in a couple months and your hormone levels will me a lot more normal.

Maybe I dont understand TDEE but when calculating if you are trying to create a deficit with your exercise wouldn't I calculate it without adding in my activity? Which would put me at 1850 cal/day. And then exercising off calories on top of that sould be a deficit correct? Where are you getting your 2300 from?
  • SGSmallman
    SGSmallman Posts: 193 Member
    Options

Maybe I dont understand TDEE but when calculating if you are trying to create a deficit with your exercise wouldn't I calculate it without adding in my activity? Which would put me at 1850 cal/day. And then exercising off calories on top of that sould be a deficit correct? Where are you getting your 2300 from?

REad this it all made sense to me and is amazing http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet
  • FATJAKE5
    FATJAKE5 Posts: 162
    Options
    I'd say first start with opening your diary - it's a bit hard to offer advice even with the context you've provided.

But offhand it sounds like water retention from an intense workout regimen. Muscles retain water to heal and repair, so anything especially difficult can lead to temporary gains. Try a rest week, where you do Turbo only 4 days a week with 3 active rest days. It should help your body recover and let go of some of the water weight.

^^^
    This is right on the spot. Just stay with it. Open your diary. My problem was sodium. When I got that under control by replacing canned, packaged and other processed foods with fresh veggies, all things good began to happen for me. People will tell you what worked for them. Salt retains water.

The Bull Terrier is right on also.