Thinking of going to a body pump class...

Options
So, as I said, I'm thinking of going to a body pump class. It looks like exactly "my thing" but I'm not a big fan of going to new things on my own - I know it's always ok after the first couple of times but you know how it is....

Anyway, do you go to body pump, and if so what do you think?

Thanks for your help. Oh, and try to be nice. :D:bigsmile:

Replies

• SarahLou1111
    Options
    I am in exactly the same position! Joined the gym three weeks ago and loving RPM...did Vive for the first time last week and loved that too. Have tried Bodystep but a bit beyond my fitness level at the moment. Want to do Pump as I want to start doing some strength stuff as well as cardio but the people who do it at my gym are all really lean fit looking types who seem to be in pairs and threes before they go in...and it's one of those where you need to get a lot of stuff together before you start isn't it...

So I feel your indecision...may go to the one they are running on Bank Holiday Monday morning tho as hoping it might be quiet...
  • MrsSausage58
    MrsSausage58 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    We're good aren't we.......can't make a decision between us! Haha. I'm with you on the people thing though. I have visions of lots of super fit people there and little (or big) old me turning up with not a clue where to be or what to do. Gah!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Just suck it up and go.

It will be fine.
  • thisgirlhere
    thisgirlhere Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    We're good aren't we.......can't make a decision between us! Haha. I'm with you on the people thing though. I have visions of lots of super fit people there and little (or big) old me turning up with not a clue where to be or what to do. Gah!

Turn up early and speak to the instructor so that they have some time to show you correct posture. Body pump is my favourite class and I'm very much a beginner.
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    Pump is awesome. Your instructor should be able to help you with technique to avoid injury.

I miss it since I cancelled my gym membership last year. Splurging out on boot camp instead though.
  • toxoplasmagondi
    toxoplasmagondi Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Les Mills classes for almost two years. If you're first starting out with pump use the same weight for warm up throughout the entire class until you can learn the moves with good form. After that keep adding weight until you can no longer make it through the track. If you have any questions feel free to message me!
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Body Pump is good. The first few seconds as you're kind of meandering around trying to copy what equipment everybody else is getting together is a little weird, but just ask the instructor and it'll be great.
  • ashleymcn01
    ashleymcn01 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    My mom is 63 years old and has taught body pump classes for as long as I can remember. They are a blast, get up and go to one!!!
  • KtotheD78
    KtotheD78 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    This has been on my heart too!!! I REEEEALLY want to go! I think I will just show up early and hope an instructor doesn't mind helping me figure out which equipment I need. I like the idea of just starting out with the same weights until form and feel is achieved :)
  • uncbluci
    uncbluci Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I was the same way, chickened out a few times before I actually went into the class. It'll be fine, there are lots of 'veterans' in there who seem intimidating because they know what they're doing but they are always willing to help newbies, and there are always a few of those too. Pick a class at a time that won't be slammed, they tend to get packed out. Show up early so you can tell the instructor you're new and have plenty of time to set up your equipment. I had someone show me what I needed my first time. You can also go to the les mills website and watch videos to familiarize yourself with the moves you'll be doing.
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Just go.

And go to the front of the class to make sure you have a good view of their form and not the person infront of you that may be doing it incorrectly.
  • ladybird1771
    ladybird1771 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Do it! They're fun! :)
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I started going as a way to do something different and I love it! Like everyone said, make sure to get some instruction on form and then go for it! It is fun and they change the routine/music every few months, so you don't plateau or get bored of the same music. Enjoy!
  • nightdragon70
    nightdragon70 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I love body pump class... My favorite is body combat, but the pump is nice too. You will get a great workout in. Just don't worry about the weights.. Do what you can and make sure your form is right, then you can add more weight as you go. Relax, have fun, and you'll be back again
  • HopeDaleen930
    Options
    Took my first class today and loved it. Do light weights and only do what you can. If you can't keep up stop and pick up when you can. I loved it! Can't wait to go back.
  • mrsburghart
    mrsburghart Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Bodypump is amazing :) Definitely go! You won't regret it. Pick a spot in the back of the room and just go for it. There's nothing to lose. I agree that you need to show up a bit early so that you can get help setting up. Make sure you tell them you are new, and listen for their tips as they through the routine. They will show you how to do the moves properly. You're gonna love it!
  • ChristiSykes
    ChristiSykes Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    LOVE Body Pump!!!!! I was nervous at first as well, but found out that everyone is very supportive and helpful to new comers. Just go :)
  • mollycob27
    mollycob27 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Body Pump is great ! another one to try also is body combat ! a real get fit feeling

As for the classes - i used HATE going on my own , the first time i went i could have cried if im honest , but thats all down to confidence

but take it from me , its very hard, BUT go to the class, go to the back ( then you can watch everyone else hehe)
    Also yes there will be fighting fit people in there , but also there will be people just like you and me who want to ge to that point

so , the second time i went ( yes i had to push myself due to lack of confidnece ) but i stood at the back and saw the fit and slim rolling in , then as the class started i watched them and realised , that i too want to be like them - it since then has become a target for me ! it makes me go, it makes me keep going thrugh the class.
    so the motto -
    be stong and get amongst it and be greatful for these slim fitness freaks - as they actually can give you the motivation to keep going

try it - you might like it :-)
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Just remember that all those slim fit people you feel intimidated by you probably started out in the same place you are and were nervous about joining the class.

Just suck it up and go. In a few months you'll be one of the slim fit people and newbies will be feeling intimidated by you.
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I've been wanting to try this class too. Looks like it's time to suck it up and just go!