Hello! (newb!)

Options
Hello!

I'm Sarah :)

Been lurking reading these forums for a while now, so thought it was time to sign up! I have been using the MFP app for a few weeks now and I'm finding it really helpful!

I've always struggled with my weight, since I was fairly young but I'm in my mid 20's now and I've had enough of been overweight and just generally unhappy with myself.

I've put on a lot of weight recently for two reasons, last year I had a back operation (slipped disc) and that left me out of action for a long time (couldn't walk without excruciating for a fair few weeks!) and the pain medication I was on made me put on weight (!!!) Prior to the problems with my back I had been fairly active and went to the gym regularly. So the weight piled on as my activity level dropped (...also took to eating more as I was feeling sorry for myself!)

Also, my mum died very recently (it was very sudden) and I took to comfort eating as a way of coping (I have always done this in highly stressful situations) which has also added to my weight gain.

Anyway, I've been following a healthy diet now for the past few weeks and I've also signed back up to the gym (which I'm actually really enjoying! It is also improving my overall mood) I go 2 / 3 times a week. Throw in some outdoor walking as well at the weekends.

I am going to Thailand on holiday in September and I would love to feel more confident in summer clothes / swimsuit (eeek!!) so my main aim at the moment is to lose weight / get a bit fitter for then!

So any advice people can offer would be a great help! Also, if anyone has suffered from lower back pain / slipped discs, it would be great to hear what exercises you find the most effective - I'm trying to avoid running at the moment because the impact seems to flair up my back pain (mainly stick to cross trainers) so any tips would be useful!

Anyway....hello!

Sarah x

Replies

• teshiburu
    teshiburu Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Hey, welcome!

You have made the very important first steps in making some of the biggest changes in life my hat is off to you.

If you need any help or advise just drop me a line xx
  • kgillis87
    kgillis87 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hey! Nice to meet you :)

I would maybe suggest looking into a pool in your area if you can find one. Minimal to no weight bearing in the water could be relieving for your back. See if there are aquafit classes or if you're into it, maybe just swimming laps. Also, strengthened your core in general will help take some of the strain off your disc, as the muscles in that area improve and can start handling more of the load vs your spinal column. Don't be and afraid to start really slow, like quadruped exercises, or easy supine movements to start. Cycling may be a good option as well, since it's more low impact. also, doing exactly what you're doing (I. E. Weight loss) will help significantly.

Hope that was helpful! Feel free to add me - I'm on here often, and I am a great cheerleader if you need one :)

Best of luck!
  • bella19741974
    Options
    hello
  • VisionAttained
    Options
    Thailand? Lucky you! I've always wanted to go! I have a few friends that already went and have all said they've enjoyed their stay and want to go back. One of my reasons for losing the final 20 (lost 70 so far), is so I can travel comfortably in hot & humid climates.

If you'd like any advice, feel free to send me a msg or friend request. I'd be happy to help! :flowerforyou: