my first day of college today

Options
I start my first college course today. I take 22 courses total. I am out of the loop on the studying bit as I am starting college at almost 38 years old of age. I graduated from high school in 1994. any study tip advice would be appreciated. advice on note taking, organizing a schedule for homework etc. one of the things is memorization of scriptures. I am going to college to pursue my calling . I like the online classes much better they have to do with my actual major and not unnecessary things. anyone college age would love to talk with you.

Replies

• NakedLunchTime
    Options
    I start my first college course today. I take 22 courses total. I am out of the loop on the studying bit as I am starting college at almost 38 years old of age. I graduated from high school in 1994. any study tip advice would be appreciated. advice on note taking, organizing a schedule for homework etc. one of the things is memorization of scriptures. I am going to college to pursue my calling . I like the online classes much better they have to do with my actual major and not unnecessary things. anyone college age would love to talk with you.

I am not sure I understand how you are taking 22 courses at once.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options

I am not sure I understand how you are taking 22 courses at once.
    Maybe she means 22 credits...?
  • flowergirl45
    flowergirl45 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Way to go on starting college! College was way too long ago, I don't remember LOL! My advice is don't eat M&Ms while studying. I did that and cavities set in :-(
  • make_it_so
    make_it_so Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    22 credits is a lot! Just stay on task, but not so much that you get burnt out! I am in school for nursing, you can ask me for advice anytime and I will be glad to help! What is your major?
  • GracefulDancer4Christ
    GracefulDancer4Christ Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    22 courses but I take one at a time. my major is Evangelism.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Ahh okay, that makes more sense. 22 credits or 22 courses at once is way too much.

Just take notes, stay organized, used index cards to study, highlight pages in lectures or in your book, keep all course information separate so it doesn't get bundled together because it can get confusing, ask questions if you don't understand something and don't feel "stupid" if you don't understand something...instructors/professors get paid to make sure a student fully understands everything. Good luck in your courses!
  • BuffyEat2Live
    BuffyEat2Live Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Great job going back to school! I went back after several years in "the real world", too. :flowerforyou:

FLASHCARDS are a must for me. I use them for every class, and I especially love flashcard websites, such as proprofs.com

STUDY SCHEDULE is another must for me. I use a daily calendar with the times listed, and put in exactly what I need to do at exactly what time each day. Be sure to leave plenty of "me time" spaces, just so that you won't go crazy!

EXERCISE helps me to stay energized and focused. Getting in some cardio most days, or whatever exercise YOU like, will really help you to stick with your hectic life. Even if you don't think you have time for exercise, make some time a few days a week, you won't regret it.
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I had a few years away from school before I went back. For me organization and time management is key. I recommend mapping out your tasks for the week at the beginning of the week and breaking it down for each day by class, so that you don't get overwelmed. Also, I workout in the AM so that I have the exercising out of the way before the day gets busy. Good luck!
  • NakedLunchTime
    Options
    Ahh okay, that makes more sense. 22 credits or 22 courses at once is way too much.

Just take notes, stay organized, used index cards to study, highlight pages in lectures or in your book, keep all course information separate so it doesn't get bundled together because it can get confusing, ask questions if you don't understand something and don't feel "stupid" if you don't understand something...instructors/professors get paid to make sure a student fully understands everything. Good luck in your courses!

Oh good lord, thank goodness. I was going to tell you to drop some HAHA!!. But yes I agree with everything the above post states!! And congrats on going back to school!
  • knitwit0704
    knitwit0704 Posts: 376
    Options
    Wow! Great for you!
  • soniabogonia
    soniabogonia Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Organization..... Use monthly calendars to visualize the month of work. Write in all major assignments and events. That way you can dedicate adequate study time and still do family events.

Research papers.... If you have a research project break it up into chucks. These are the type of assignments that require TIME, time to read, time to reflect, time to write, and time to rewrite.

Study time.... figure out how and where you want to study. At the library, at home, or at a coffee shop.

Study materials.... my favorite things to buy were post-it notes and highlighters.

Number one tip... enjoy! Enjoy your readings. Enjoy your class discussions. Enjoy growing as a student. =)

You'll love the feeling of accomplishment after finishing each course! :flowerforyou: