So, I've been at this for a while now and...

Options
I've been at this whole calorie counting and weight loss thing for a while now. Thought I'd finally post and share my story.

I'm 24 years old, and I have been heavy most of my life, starting from when I was about 11.
When I graduated highschool in 2004, I weighed 200lbs
When I got married in March 2007, I was 235lbs.
When I started my weight loss life change in January of this year, I was 275lbs. :noway:

So yeah, as you can tell, I gained a LOT of weight VERY fast! I was comfortable with myself as a person, so I just let my physical self go. No one ever taught me what was healthy to eat or anything about nutrition because both of my parents are thin. (My mother is a size 5/6) Unfortunately, I take after the women in my Dad's family - they're all extremely overweight, 300+lbs at least, one Aunt being almost 600lbs.

In March of 2009, I went off birth control for the first time since I was 14 years old.
My period never came.
I went to an OBGYN who told ran several tests on me to make sure I didn't have ovarian cysts.
As it turns out, I'm just "too fat to have a baby" as she put it.
I wasn't looking to get pregnant - and still don't want to have a child anytime soon - but I was crushed! :cry:
She explained to me that fat cells produce estrogen, and that the bigger the cells are, the more estrogen they produce.
Basically, my body is tricking itself into thinking it's already pregnant, therefore it doesn't feel the need to ovulate.

In January, I decided after seeing pictures of myself at a Christmas party, I was going to change who I was on the outside to fit who I feel like I am on the inside - and that girl - she certainly wasn't it.

I started out with a gym buddy and downloaded the MFP app to my iPhone.
I was religious about it.
I lost 25lbs in one month, and I was ecstatic about it.
Unfortuntely, my gym buddy quit on me - citing school and too much stress/not enough time as the reasoning.
In mid Feburary, I quit all together because I couldn't find the motivation to go alone.
I even drove to Tampa and tried out for The Biggest Loser in March.
I ended up gaining 5lbs back. :frown:

In June, a friend of mine (RachelTNeudecker is her username) moved here from Orlando,
and her and I made a commitment to each other to meet at the gym every single night for at least 6 days a week.
So far, we've kept our promise!
We both are under care of physicians and nutritionists currently, and taking Adipex as a hunger control tool.
She has lost 30lbs since June 6th, 2010 and I have lost a total of 46lbs!
I WEIGH LESS THAN I DID WHEN I GOT MARRIED! (228lbs!)

Now that our weight loss has slowed (mine is about 8-10lbs a month currently), it's getting frusterating.
We're holding each other up, never going to give up, and the compliments we have both been recieving have been beyond amazing.

So that's about it.
I'm in the current struggle, and it's really been hard.
But with almost 50lbs gone, and another 68lbs to go until my goal weight (160lbs),
I feel like this is going to be so POSSIBLE for once!

BEFORE: (275lbs - Decemeber 2009)

Fattest-2Dec2009.jpg

xmasparty22.jpg

AFTER: (233lbs - actually 5lbs heavier than I am right now)

5072ef8b.jpg

2297-18-10.jpg

Replies

• pepino
    pepino Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    wow! you should be very proud of yourself. The Mission is not over for you but so far it looks like your winning the war.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Great job! And 8-10 lbs a month is not slow!! That's optimal.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Wow, you're looking really good! And I love the striped top. :happy: Honestly, 75 lbs in 6 years is NOT bad. I gained 30 in 3 months. And just remember that it will take time to take off the weight...you've already done so well and once you get closer to halfway or to the last bit of weight, your loss will slow down even more. 8-10 lbs/month is great!!! Keep up the good work, it's great to have you on the website!!
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    You look great, congratulations!!! And don't get too frustrated with 8-10 lbs a month loss, that's phenomenal! I only had 28 lbs I wanted to lose and mine came off much slower at 1 lb a week (4 lbs a month). And just to let you know, the closer you get to your goal weight, it will get harder be to lose weight, so just know it's normal and not anything you're doing wrong.

Keep up the awesome work!!!
  • WeightingForSara
    WeightingForSara Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Great job! And 8-10 lbs a month is not slow!! That's optimal.

Oh it's definitely okay with me! I don't know if you've ever been extremely overweight before but the first few months the weight drops liek CRAZY, so when it finally goes to 8-10lbs a month, it seems much slower than usual, but it's perfect for me because that put me at my goal weight by my 25th birthday!
  • 1kikie
    1kikie Posts: 1
    Options
    Hang in there! I believe we all are working at it. Definitely not easy.
  • greerv72
    greerv72 Posts: 15
    Options
    I know it's so hard to get out of those slumps, but you are looking AMAZING!!! Keep your eye on the prize :) You're doing great sweetie!
  • futureredheadhottie
    Options
    great job you look great.
  • fitmomto2
    fitmomto2 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your journey! You've made AWESOME progress!
  • LadyNay191
    LadyNay191 Posts: 38
    Options
    When you have less to lose, it's harder to lose it! Don't give up!
  • hamster123
    hamster123 Posts: 37
    Options
    Well done you. Keep up the good work!
  • tn2010
    tn2010 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Incredible! I am so impressed with your perseverance. Don't give up...you are a rock star!
  • ❤B☩❤
    ❤B☩❤ Posts: 634
    Options
    Oh, my GOSH! You are incredibly beautiful, and I am so proud of the journey you have decided to take! You have the determination to stick with this, and I know you will! Good job, and keep up the EXCELLENT work that you are doing for YOU!

*hugs!*
    Donna
  • tissyazd
    tissyazd Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    You look incredible and are a very pretty girl! Congrats!!!
  • fallenexoh
    fallenexoh Posts: 20
    Options
    You look amazing so far, Sara! You and Rachel both are doing amazing!!
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    It's great to hear all the reasons people want to lose weight that aren't necessarily about vanity. Keep up the great work!
  • upsidedowngirl
    Options
    So I am totally new to this, and haven't really given it my all yet. I'm not too over weight right now, but I do not feel healthy. I know that if I don't start now I am going to wish later. Can you give me some tips? While you've been loosing weight are you eating special and exercising a lot or mostly exercising? I'm not really sure how to go about this. I feel like I am always hungry... Your story is awesome! Thanks for posting!
  • beautyqueen1979
    beautyqueen1979 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    You have done so well - congrats :-D:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
    You have definately hit a nerve with me - one thing I have become more conscious of is when I decide to start a family and how my weight will affect that. Although we dont plan on one yet (me and BF are both doing postgrad studies) within 5 years I would like to be trying at the very least for a baby. More and more I have felt this dread of getting to that day at this size (or heavier, 've been bigger than this) and finding out I can't due to weight. So I'm starting now, to be ready and healthy for when that day comes.
    That, and I want to wear dresses and not feel like I can only wear them in the house!
  • WeightingForSara
    Options
    You have definately hit a nerve with me - one thing I have become more conscious of is when I decide to start a family and how my weight will affect that. Although we dont plan on one yet (me and BF are both doing postgrad studies) within 5 years I would like to be trying at the very least for a baby. More and more I have felt this dread of getting to that day at this size (or heavier, 've been bigger than this) and finding out I can't due to weight. So I'm starting now, to be ready and healthy for when that day comes.
    That, and I want to wear dresses and not feel like I can only wear them in the house!

I know exactly what you mean. I was really pretty shocked about my situation. I know my husband I both want to have a family in the next few years, so to find that out was pretty devastating. I wish you all the best!!
  • WeightingForSara
    Options

I know exactly what you mean. I was really pretty shocked about my situation. I know my husband I both want to have a family in the next few years, so to find that out was pretty devastating. I wish you all the best!!