Does anyone here fast for any period of time? Like a day?

Options
I'm asking for your experience and tips. I'd like to try a one day fast, then maybe work up to two or more, very slowly of course. How do you prepare for a fast? What do you consume during the fast? And what do you eat when you come out of the fast?

P.S. I'm not looking for discouragement or negative opinions on the topic of fasting. Thanks!

Replies

• harribeau2012
    harribeau2012 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    unfortunatly the only time I fast is between 00.00 and 07.00! :flowerforyou: but I know some people do it regularly with success, hope you find your answers !
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    A little over half a day daily. But that's just me.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    20 hours every day
  • Sunnyjb
    Sunnyjb Posts: 220
    Options
    Whenever I know I'm going to change something in my diet I will do a liquid fast, not straight-up fasting, I do a smoothie thing. I cut just to what I know my body tolerates for about three days, no grains, no meat, no dairy. What are you looking to accomplish?
  • mgreen10
    mgreen10 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I'm extremely close to my goal weight and trying to lose the last 5 lbs. But also, some days I just have less appetite than others. I'd like to use those days to fast. If I don't feel hungry, then why eat? I just want to do it the right way.
    Whenever I know I'm going to change something in my diet I will do a liquid fast, not straight-up fasting, I do a smoothie thing. I cut just to what I know my body tolerates for about three days, no grains, no meat, no dairy. What are you looking to accomplish?
  • mammakisses
    mammakisses Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Every night :wink:
  • witchieboo
    witchieboo Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    By fasting your body goes in to starvation mode and stores fat . You better off to spread out the calories more during the day.
  • chaser1977
    chaser1977 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    By fasting your body goes in to starvation mode and stores fat . You better off to spread out the calories more during the day.

Nope. Disproven a hundred times over.

Once a week I fast 16+ hrs. Typically it's after a big meal day where i ate back exercise calories. I also try to do it ona day I know I will be very busy, keeps me from sitting around thinking about it.
  • IFlover90
    IFlover90 Posts: 62
    Options

Oh no! Really?
  • Sunnyjb
    Options

that's not true
  • mgreen10
    Options
    Hi Wichiboo,

While I appreciate your input, I asked for no discouraging post regarding fasting.

Thanks!

• TheresaTester
    TheresaTester Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    20 hours every day

How do you keep yourself from becoming ravenous and wanting to eat everything in sight? Is there a reason you follow this plan? I'm interested in knowing more about how this works. :o)
  • Sunnyjb
    Options
    I'm extremely close to my goal weight and trying to lose the last 5 lbs. But also, some days I just have less appetite than others. I'd like to use those days to fast. If I don't feel hungry, then why eat? I just want to do it the right way.

smoothies! Friend me, and I'll send you some info....
  • SGSmallman
    SGSmallman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Intermittent Fasting following lean gains 8 hour feeding window 16 hour fast.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I do intermittent fasting (Leangains style, 16 hours per day). I typically eat my first meal around 11 AM, train at 4 PM, have a protein shake around 5:30, and a pretty large dinner (roughly 70% of my daily calories) at 6:30. I'm done eating by 7 PM. I don't eat grains. I occasionally (like once a week) have a sweet potato with dinner, but otherwise, my carbs come from fruit, vegetables, dark chocolate, and peanut butter. I eat a ton of meat, and I probably get 150 to 200 g of protein per day, depending on whether or not I'm training.

I would only recommend fasting as a lifestyle, not as a temporary means of losing weight. You should still be eating the same total amount of calories each day, whether you are fasting or not, so it is not meant to give you a caloric deficit. There are hormonal benefits to fasting, especially for people who are already pretty lean.

Also, fasting is just that ... going without food (or drinks, other than calorie free drinks like water, tea, diet soda, etc.). Most fasting protocols allow for coffee with a very minimal amount of creamer (< 50 calories TOTAL, not per cup). Liquid diets are not fasting, and you will not get the same hormonal benefits from them as you will from actually fasting.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Hi Wichiboo,

While I appreciate your input, I asked for no discouraging post regarding fasting.

Thanks!

So you just want people to tell you that you should go ahead and do it? Why ask then?
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    20 hours every day

How do you keep yourself from becoming ravenous and wanting to eat everything in sight? Is there a reason you follow this plan? I'm interested in knowing more about how this works. :o)
    After a week or two your hormones adjust. The "hunger signal" hormone ghrelin spikes when your body expects food. If you don't eat breakfast or lunch for a period of time your ghrelin stops spiking at those times. Eating in the morning lowers your insulin lime growth factor (IGF) which is one of the anabolic hormones in your body. I've managed to have solid muscle gains and fat loss while following 20/4, IIFYM, and lifting.
  • mgreen10
    Options
    I'm asking how, not if. I want tips and people to share experiences.
    Hi Wichiboo,

Thanks!

So you just want people to tell you that you should go ahead and do it? Why ask then?
  • autumnrunning
    Options
    You can fast on water/juices or drink water, tea, broth. Just no solids.

It's said you should eat veggies and fruits only one day before fasting and after the fast period ends, slowly come out of it with fruits, veggies, soups and foods that are easier to digest so it is not a shock treatment for your body.

They've said fasting one day each week could make you lose more weight overall.

A short fast could be 24 hours or 3 days, medium one 5 days and longer ones 7+.

In my experiences it increases energy and makes mind clearer but that's only on short periods, other than that you may experience headaches from caffeine withdrawal and light-headedness.

It cleans your system of toxins and it's good imo to give your system a rest day once in a while.

The longest i've fasted was about 4 days.