Five Day Booze Cruise...Makes Me Nervous!

Options
So, I've all but cut out alcohol, save the occasional glass of wine. I used to be a big drinker, but once I cut out alcohol and started exercising, I've lost almost 30 pounds. I'm dreadfully afraid of gaining it back, and I've read numerous studies talking about how negatively alcohol and high-sugared beverages (which are SO tasty) will affect my body.

Keeping that in mind, I'm going on a Carnival cruise in a couple weeks. My fiance wants to buy the expensive all you can drink card, but he can only buy it if I do, too (ship policy). I've been pushing myself extra hard in preparation for the week of drinking, especially since it will be great for my emotional health to just let loose for a few days.

How badly will my progress be reversed when I come home? Any thoughts? I'm on my last 10 pounds of loss...

Stats:
21/female, 5'7", CW: 140.2 lbs. GW: 130

I eat 1300 cal/day and eat back most of (save 60-70 some days) my exercise calories. I eat mainly lean proteins, veggies, yogurt, whole grain, and fruit. Only 3-4 glasses of wine/week, no more than 1/day.

Thanks! :)

Replies

• mcdebbie
    mcdebbie Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Has your fiance done the math for the drink card? We drink a lot on cruises but not enough to equal the drink card.

If you drink a bunch of fruity drinks and eat all three meals and deserts you'll probably do some damage; but you might be running around all day and up and down stairs and work it all off. Some cruises I have actually lost weight but one I put on 7 pounds - yikes!

Sounds like you are looking forward to just cutting loose for a few days so I would go and not worry about it. Have a great time!
  • tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Just because you buy the all you can drink card doesn't mean you have to go hog wild. Have a drink or 2, enjoy it and get some exercise in while there. My boss actually lost weigh on the his cruise from so much walking around that he did on the ship.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It's five days...maybe you gain 1 or 2 Lbs if you really go to town. Easy enough to take off when you get home and resume normal habits. If it were me, I wouldn't be concerning myself and would be looking forward to all the booze.
  • junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine.... just have a game plan for when you get back and use the ship's workout facilities while you are there....

just HAVE FUN!!! We are only human!!
  • stetienne
    stetienne Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Just don't go in with the intention of getting your money's worth and you'll be fine.
  • sunshinesquared
    sunshinesquared Posts: 2,733 Member
    Options
    I've been on five Carnival cruises and the only "All you can drink card" that can be purchased is for soft drinks and not alcohol. The bar bill is totally separate....and believe me, the prices alone may help curb your need!! :-)
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I would first make sure it is worth the price. Even if you drink, it doesn't sounds like you are going to be drinking a whole lot seeings you quit drinking for a while. Which to me doesn't sound like you guys would save a whole lot from getting the drinking cards. But, enjoy yourself! Eat, drink, add some excersize into your day and soak up the sun! I wouldn't worry to much about it. Just be careful- you might not be able to handle your alcohol like you used to. Have fun!!!! You can kick it back into gear when you come back from vacation!!
  • eatyourselffitter
    eatyourselffitter Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I don't know how much the card costs but assume you'd have to drink around 6-8 drinks each a day to "break even" (totally guessing there). If you don't think you're going to drink that much booze or even want to, if probably not worth it. May not not be cost effective, weight-wise or health-wise, money-wise. I can see people going out of there way to drink waaaay more just to try and get your moneys worth. Have a few drinks or do the card and enjoy! Whatever floats your boat.
  • HawtSauce09
    HawtSauce09 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your vacation but certainly do not go BANANAS over it. Be active when you can, hop in the pool and burn some calories, choose lower calorie less sugary drinks. its vacation time its important to live and and enjoy and be balanced! Moderation NOT deprivation!
  • neacail
    neacail Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I've been on five Carnival cruises and the only "All you can drink card" that can be purchased is for soft drinks and not alcohol. The bar bill is totally separate....and believe me, the prices alone may help curb your need!! :-)

Carnival has implemented new plans. Your data is not current.
  • Seraphemz
    Seraphemz Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I had stopped drinking for a while as well. This weekend I decided to have some fun, watch the UFC fights, have some drinks. When the weekend was over...i weighed 8lbs more..lol. Im not worried though.. i know they will come off easy. I have done it before. Dont get scared of the scale, go out and have fun!
  • jukyu
    jukyu Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    A vacation should not make you nervous! Taking a hiatus from an aggressive 1300 calorie a day diet may actually do your metabolism--and progress--some good. It would take a pretty considerable caloric surplus to do any damage, so enjoy yourself and relax.
  • sunshinesquared
    sunshinesquared Posts: 2,733 Member
    Options

Carnival has implemented new plans. Your data is not current.

I guess I stand corrected....must be something new since December, then!
  • Absonthebrain
    Absonthebrain Posts: 587 Member
    Options

^^^ Ive been on one carnival cruise and this is too true, we paid at the end thru our card for anything we went over in drinks so yeah it really curbed my need to drink excessive! :)
  • red8424
    red8424 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    You may experience some water weight issues after your cruise but nothing a little sweat and exercise can't fix. The last cruise I went on, I had been on a very strict diet right before. I drank like a fish, ate a ton, and only worked out 2x. I only gained 2 or 3 lbs. of water weight that I quickly lost when I got home. You enjoy yourself and it will be fine! Bon voyage!
  • zebstriped
    Options
    I have an upcoming cruise, too, my first, and have the same worry about gaining weight. I'm taking Carnival and after weighing all the options, I decided against the Cheers program -- I can't see me drinking 15 drinks per day. And I would probably try to, since I'm paying for it. I ordered a bottle of rum delivered to my room instead, so I can mix my own, or if I feel like it, get something fancy at one of the many bars.

One thing I have my mind set on is daily exercise. I am going to walk every inch of the ship that I can, use the stairs as often as possible, and I'm going to run on that jogging track way up there (and how cool that view will be, running in the middle of the ocean!). And I don't like to run, at all.

Bon Voyage (said like Bugs Bunny)!
  • kskonkol
    kskonkol Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I just took a 5 day cruise (on Celebrity not Carnival). We had the drink plan. It covered any beverage up to a $12 value.

I have to say, I think I used it more for the $4(!!) bottles of water.

I was over the "I don't know if it's worth it..." by the 2nd day.
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    So, I've all but cut out alcohol, save the occasional glass of wine. I used to be a big drinker, but once I cut out alcohol and started exercising, I've lost almost 30 pounds. I'm dreadfully afraid of gaining it back, and I've read numerous studies talking about how negatively alcohol and high-sugared beverages (which are SO tasty) will affect my body.

Keeping that in mind, I'm going on a Carnival cruise in a couple weeks. My fiance wants to buy the expensive all you can drink card, but he can only buy it if I do, too (ship policy). I've been pushing myself extra hard in preparation for the week of drinking, especially since it will be great for my emotional health to just let loose for a few days.

How badly will my progress be reversed when I come home? Any thoughts? I'm on my last 10 pounds of loss...

Stats:
    21/female, 5'7", CW: 140.2 lbs. GW: 130

I eat 1300 cal/day and eat back most of (save 60-70 some days) my exercise calories. I eat mainly lean proteins, veggies, yogurt, whole grain, and fruit. Only 3-4 glasses of wine/week, no more than 1/day.

Thanks! :)

If you would drink a lot I would not do it. If you can in moderation than go for it.

It would be best to try to have a lot of fun without the drinking. You could probably have more fun. A cruise is pretty stress free, there really is no need to drink alcohol when you have had alcohol problems in the past.
  • ShelbyNicole08
    Options
    I say have a blast and dont worry. Its a vacation and only 5 days! Enjoy yourseld with your fiance and drink :)