How to get over fear of classes at my gym

Options
Hey, all I am looking for some advice as to how I can become less fearful fof the classes that are offered at my gym. I have a personal trainer and I workout with her 3-4 days a week and I love it. On occassion, I also do boot camp. I am currently down 64 pounds and would like to try more classes to help my weight loss but I am a bit intimidated because I have some balance issues. Any advice? Thanks!

Replies

• briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to do the same thing. What I have come up with is maybe the first time you go get a spot in the back so that nobody is behind you so only the people along side you can see what you are doing. Also, something that might help is to pick some beginners classes. I know my gym offers a beginners zumba so I figured every one else is not going to know what they are doing too.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Just to give you the opposite view: I never liked gym classes. My body doesn't work well on other people's schedules. For example, I need longer than most people to really warm up.

If you have balance problems you should arrive early and tell the teacher, you can use props, but you might also want to think about working out on your own.
  • thirstyflea
    thirstyflea Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of classes at my gym (and work out with a personal trainer), and what I can tell you is that nobody will really be looking at you. There are people of all levels in the classes I do (step aerobics, zumba, latin fusion, cardio dance, etc.), and I found, especially when I first started and was really self-conscious about the way I looked and how terrible I was doing, that no one was looking at me at all! They're all watching themselves in the mirrors! Now that I have the classes down, I notice it even more, it's kind of funny...

The only thing I would suggest is to just go, have fun, do what you can and modify what you can't, get a great work out at your own level, and don't bump into anyone :wink: and you'll be just fine in no time! Instructors usually offer modifications for all levels in their classes so you'll figure it out. You've come a long way so far, don't be intimidated by classes! Start slow, try a few different classes a few times, and see what works for you! Good luck, and keep up your great work!!!
  • Andylegacy
    Andylegacy Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    just take it step by step, and don't worry so much!

Everyone in that class is there for the same reason, to keep fit and healthy. Just go there and do you're thing, remain confident and charming, no-one is gonna judge you :)
  • lcvaughn520
    lcvaughn520 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Get there early and talk to the instructor about your fitness level and your concerns. No one in the class will be paying one BIT of attention to you, so you don't need to worry about feeling embarrassed. Also, I'd say give each class a couple of tries before you decide whether you like it or not.

Remember: everyone in that class had a first class too! No one started out at the top.