Essential Oils

Does anyone use essential oils for appetite control/weight loss? I've recently begun researching essential oils because my kids were sick with the flu & my friend had told me about them. I haven't bought any yet. It seems like there are tons of uses for essential oils. I'm just wondering if it's worth it.

Replies

• kaelara
    kaelara Posts: 9 Member
    I use them for general stress relief, though appetite control is definitely possible. I wonder if using some of the stress relief/emotional centering ones will help bring curb appetite triggers. I would think peppermint, tea tree, and grapefruit extract would be good ones to start with.

I found this article which seems to make sense to me. Hope it helps.

http://voices.yahoo.com/aromatherapy-losing-weight-247985.html

Good luck!
  • Kellylynnhaynes
    Kellylynnhaynes Posts: 73 Member
    The one specific one I read about is Octotea. I don't know, just thought it was interesting. Just don't know if I should spend the money on it or not. I've been trying to research essential oils, and it's all a bit overwhelming about what to use and how to use them.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    I thought this was going to be about Omega-3's
  • Kellylynnhaynes
    Anyone else use essential oils?
  • jilliew
    jilliew Posts: 255 Member
    My best friend is a Young Living distributor, and I use a lot of oils. In the specific case of appetite control, a drop of peppermint in water or tea, or on a toothpick that you suck on, will supporess your hunger. There is something about grapefruit oil being good for that, too, but you'll have to read up on it... I also use citrus oils in my water when I want something to drink that has a "taste" but I don't want to consume calories. Young Living has an oil blend called Slique (I think it comes in tea-form, too) which I think is gross (I can't stand the taste of Stevia...), but it's specifically designed to aid weight loss.

I use essential oils for LOTS of other things. I have tendonitus and I use a blend called Valour to help with that. Peppermint for headaches and to help with TOM symptoms. I difuse citrus oils in my house to make it smell nice. There is a blend called Theives that comes in a cleaning-solution concentrate that I use for cleaning (eco-friendly, non-toxic, safe for my snake tanks, smells great, works better!). The list is endless.
  • Kellylynnhaynes
    Thanks for that info. I had a friend who clued me into YLEO a few weeks ago when my kiddos had the flu. That is what made me start researching them a bit more. My main problem is appetite. I get hungry often (although it's getting better) or I'm just getting better at ignoring the huger pangs, so I was looking for something for appetite suppressant that doesn't have all the side effects.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    It's a scam. No, seriously..........
  • hamonk
    hamonk Posts: 42 Member
    I love essential oils and order alot from www.saje.ca they have alot of infor on the website and link to some good blogs about it.
  • jilliew
    It's a scam. No, seriously..........

...says the guy who obviously did a LOT of research about EOs... ;)
  • s50s
    s50s Posts: 138 Member
    My best friend is a Young Living distributor, and I use a lot of oils. In the specific case of appetite control, a drop of peppermint in water or tea, or on a toothpick that you suck on, will supporess your hunger. There is something about grapefruit oil being good for that, too, but you'll have to read up on it... I also use citrus oils in my water when I want something to drink that has a "taste" but I don't want to consume calories. Young Living has an oil blend called Slique (I think it comes in tea-form, too) which I think is gross (I can't stand the taste of Stevia...), but it's specifically designed to aid weight loss.

I use essential oils for LOTS of other things. I have tendonitus and I use a blend called Valour to help with that. Peppermint for headaches and to help with TOM symptoms. I difuse citrus oils in my house to make it smell nice. There is a blend called Theives that comes in a cleaning-solution concentrate that I use for cleaning (eco-friendly, non-toxic, safe for my snake tanks, smells great, works better!). The list is endless.

I use oils often but never heard about the peppermint on the toothpick. Do you leave it in oil or just stick it in and then put in your mouth. I also have put it in my water but have gotten away from it. Need to start again.
  • jilliew

I use oils often but never heard about the peppermint on the toothpick. Do you leave it in oil or just stick it in and then put in your mouth. I also have put it in my water but have gotten away from it. Need to start again.

That depends how well you like straight up peppermint oil. Haha. I just dip it in for a second and that's plenty strong enough for me. My friend can just put a whole drop on her tongue and be fine, which would make me feel like my mouth is on fire!
  • s50s
    s50s Posts: 138 Member

That depends how well you like straight up peppermint oil. Haha. I just dip it in for a second and that's plenty strong enough for me. My friend can just put a whole drop on her tongue and be fine, which would make me feel like my mouth is on fire!

Thanks I will be trying this.
  • fysty75
    fysty75 Posts: 88 Member
    Along with Valor EO I am also trying Slique gum. I will report later after I receive it and try it.
  • erayne
    erayne Posts: 47 Member
    I'm using Slim N Sassy by DoTerra. It's an oil that you put in water and it's supposed to help you feel full. It works, but it tastes so gross! I'm still trying to get past that. =/