TDEE....what was your success??

Options
I have been on mfp for close to a month now and I have been reading A LOT of posts about using TDEE instead of the calorie recommendations using mfp. I have read a lot of information that was confusing but then FINALLY found some info that helped me. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet. SO I followed the instructions and figured out my TDEE - 30% (I have over 100 lbs to lose) is 1868.40. Right now I eat 1550 and I eat back my exercise calories. With that being said did you guys find success at the scale from doing it this way? If so what was it? I would like to try it but, and I say this knowing that this topic has been beaten to death, I am scared to eat that many calories. I feel like I may maintain my weight and not lose it. I work out lightly (2 X a week...doing badminton and water running) and I plan to start the 30 day shred, but what if I decide not to work out that week? Does that mean I have to eat less calories because it is already factored in? Those are my fears and I was hoping someone who maybe has the same TDEE as myself, could shed some light on these concerns?

Replies

• TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    page not found. Though I think in that thread if it is the same one I think it is, was TDEE- 20%
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I have more to lose (60 lbs left) so I follow a more aggressive cut (30-40%) and take scheduled breaks where I eat at maintenance. You can go a bit lower if you have more to lose. Remember also that numbers are estimates, especially exercise calories.

Are you getting the results you want right now? If so, I would wait to change things.

And the calculation for TDEE (IPOARM) includes activity, so you wouldn't eat back your exercise calories. If you follow something for a month and you're not seeing results, change it up.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Here's the correct link to the new short & sweet version of the Road Map: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974889-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

I've been following the advice given in the road map thread (several road map threads back, actually), and have had great success with it. The best results I've had have come since eating TDEE minus 20%.

I share the link with people all the time since it worked great for me - just remember you have to stick with it for at least 4-6 weeks sometimes before you decide to make adjustments. It may take that long for the body to adjust to the new intake - some people see results sooner, some later.

Be patient, stick with it, and make adjustments along the way as needed.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    if what you are doing is currently working, and you aren't convinced that you can keep your activity level relatively consistent from one week to the next, I would keep doing what you are doing. I don't know how tall you are but 1550 + exercise calories does seem in the reasonable range without knowing more info.

ETA: the reason i haven't switched to the TDEE method is because, though I try to be consistent with exercise, I know myself and sometimes it doesn't happen. I like the flexibility of deciding each day how much I need to eat based on my activity level... then I feel less pressure, which for me is a positive thing.
  • crissy_1979
    crissy_1979 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info guys. I am 5'6 and 268 pounds so for me I think 1550 isn't unreasonable. I couldn't eat less than that lol...I don't want to deprive myself. So far I have dropped quite a bit of weight doing it this way, and I like the fact that I can decide when to eat back the calories, but what made me consider this was due to the fear of losing muscle mass as opposed to fat, and I fear that I may be doing that as I have dropped 7.6 pounds since I started 3 weeks ago.
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I simply followed the MFP recommendations.
    I have no idea what my TDEE is.
    Don't need it.
  • arains89
    arains89 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    When I do this calculation my TDEE is 2390 with moderate activity level. -20% means I should eat 1912 cal/day. I have been netting 1200 with exercise burning about 400 cal so like 1600/day and I am not seeing very good results. Perhaps I should up the cals...
  • ctpeace
    ctpeace Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Here's the correct link to the new short & sweet version of the Road Map: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974889-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

I've been following the advice given in the road map thread (several road map threads back, actually), and have had great success with it. The best results I've had have come since eating TDEE minus 20%.

I share the link with people all the time since it worked great for me - just remember you have to stick with it for at least 4-6 weeks sometimes before you decide to make adjustments. It may take that long for the body to adjust to the new intake - some people see results sooner, some later.

Be patient, stick with it, and make adjustments along the way as needed.

Thanks! I've been looking for a realistic lag-time number!
  • dbiggs
    dbiggs Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Find what works for you and stick with it. For me it was using a calorie limit range with the lower number from MFP ad the upper number from TDEE. My goal is to stay as close to the lower number as possible regardless of how much I excercise on any given day. That said, I don't worry about the days I'm at the higher range as long as I don't go over. This is what has worked for me so that's what I do. You may find something else that works better for you.
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    My activity levels vary so much from day to day - I found calculating my TDEE cumbersome. HOWEVEVER, when I compared my TDEE calorie goals my MFP calorie goals (listing my lifestyle as sedentary, although it isn't really - and inputting all of my activity) the numbers were very close.
  • Absterdam
    Absterdam Posts: 50
    Options
    I'm a little confused about this TDEE thing. So I did the calculator, it said my BMR was 2318 and my TDEE was 3593... take away 20% of the TDEE and I'm supposed to be eating 2874 calories?? How is that possible/how would that work? That's even more than MFP auto-set for me (2130). I think I'm calculating this wrong lol.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    When I do this calculation my TDEE is 2390 with moderate activity level. -20% means I should eat 1912 cal/day. I have been netting 1200 with exercise burning about 400 cal so like 1600/day and I am not seeing very good results. Perhaps I should up the cals...

I saw your post earlier today...Up the cals...gradually, like a hundred or so per week until you reach the 1912.

This is my third go around on MFP. The first time I stalled out at 164-165 and kept bouncing those for months at 1200 calories daily plus some exercise calories. Second time I did it, I just got pissed because I was hungry and said to h3ll with it. So when I jumped on the scale at the doctor's office after Christmas at 192? I tried again...but the difference this time is that I found that IPOARM post and learned about BMR/TDEE/TDEE-20%, which is what I am doing now.

I just last week dipped below that initial 164 pound stall weight from two summers ago. I eat 2000 calories per day, work out (lift heavy 3x/wk, C25K 3x/wk), six days a week because I WANT to (cuz I actually have the energy to DO some, which makes a difference).

I have about 8 pounds to go before I hit Fat2Fit's goal weight for my stats, or 18 pounds to reach MY goal of 145. Feeling good about it, don't consider it a diet, but a way of life. :flowerforyou:

Edited to correct spelling because I am that anal. :bigsmile:
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I have been on mfp for close to a month now and I have been reading A LOT of posts about using TDEE instead of the calorie recommendations using mfp. I have read a lot of information that was confusing but then FINALLY found some info that helped me. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet. SO I followed the instructions and figured out my TDEE - 30% (I have over 100 lbs to lose) is 1868.40. Right now I eat 1550 and I eat back my exercise calories. With that being said did you guys find success at the scale from doing it this way? If so what was it? I would like to try it but, and I say this knowing that this topic has been beaten to death, I am scared to eat that many calories. I feel like I may maintain my weight and not lose it. I work out lightly (2 X a week...doing badminton and water running) and I plan to start the 30 day shred, but what if I decide not to work out that week? Does that mean I have to eat less calories because it is already factored in? Those are my fears and I was hoping someone who maybe has the same TDEE as myself, could shed some light on these concerns?
    If you have accurately calculated your TDEE, then it would be impossible for you to maintain at a 30% deficit, and certainly impossible for you to GAIN at a deficit. You may initially see some "gain" when you first up your calories, but it will come off. Give it at LEAST 6 weeks before you decide it isn't working (you won't, if you are doing it right).

I had hit a plateau for about 2 months. I decided to up my calories to a number between my BMR and TDEE (about a 15% deficit) and after week 2, 1.8 lbs came off already.