5/2 Diet

Options
Hi, Is anyone out there on the 5/2 Diet? I've started on it today and am on my first fasting day. I've read the book and sorted out my 500 calories for the day not to mention herbal tea and water.
What I really want to know is how good/bad it is before I commit the next however many months to targeting my weight loss this way. I have done well with my weight loss to date, but a change in medication is causing weight gain despite my diet and exercise being the same.
All comments welcomed.

Replies

• FitinHonau
    FitinHonau Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I just don't understand why some posts get 8 pages of replies while some none!
  • bubbleskiwi
    bubbleskiwi Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I'm on my 2nd week and I love it so far. check out the 5:2 groups, there's tons of info there.

=)
  • AshleyPaleo
    AshleyPaleo Posts: 121
    Options
    Sounds like another fad diet that you starve yourself on. Of course you are going to lose weight when you only eat 500 cals? I would so binge the rest of the 5 to make up for it.
  • Fairlieboy
    Fairlieboy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Sounds like another fad diet that you starve yourself on. Of course you are going to lose weight when you only eat 500 cals? I would so binge the rest of the 5 to make up for it.
    Not a fad. Michael Mosley from the BBC was assigned to do a documentary on aging. Health. Went to 10 of the world's leading aging research groups. All were using some form of calorie restrictions to improve metabolic measures. He tried fasting. But calorie to 25% on 2 non consecutive days to reduce cholesterol, diabetes and IGF-1 had the surprising results that the obese patients lost weight as well. They did not binge. Maybe 105% of daily.
    Diets fail. After 2 years post diet people are heavier.
    We, my better half have been doing this for 6 weeks . It's a lifestyle change that has got easier. And feeling healthier. It works socially.
    It probably is one of the few diets based on science.
  • DragonflyF15
    DragonflyF15 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Actually you may be under calories for 2 days of the week, but you do make up for it on the other 5 and still get the weekly total calories needed. I enjoy IFing, not as a weight loss tool, but for the other health bennies. IFing has been around for centuries and anyone who thinks it's unnatural, our bodies were designed to feast or famine. Thanks Absolute for posting the link, great documentary, however those with close minds will continue to be quick to judge and make assumptions and not take the time to research the topic before forming an opinion on it. My mom has been doing this all her life. Why? Cause she's Buddhist and for spiritual reasons. Side effect? Never been fat a day in her life :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Hi, Is anyone out there on the 5/2 Diet? I've started on it today and am on my first fasting day. I've read the book and sorted out my 500 calories for the day not to mention herbal tea and water.
    What I really want to know is how good/bad it is before I commit the next however many months to targeting my weight loss this way. I have done well with my weight loss to date, but a change in medication is causing weight gain despite my diet and exercise being the same.
    All comments welcomed.

It's been a life changer for me. Been doing 5:2 since August and got to goal at Christmas, been maintaining since then.
    Find that it fits in with my lifestyle and exercise really well.
    Not been this fit for about 20 years!!

@AshleyPaleo - have a read at www.thefastdiet.co.uk - you might change your views.
    People don't binge on the 5 days of normal eating, in fact it's the normality of the 5 days that makes this sustainable.