I just started yesterday

Options
Hi I am Shannon. I turned 39 this past Saturday and my goal is to lose 100lbs by the time I turn 40. My goal is to be fit, trim and healthy. Yesterday started off good but by the time I got home from work I was so famished I couldn't stop eating! Today is going OK but I would like to meet some people that were or are where I am and can give me some helpful tips!
Looking forward to all of the support!

Replies

• MrsSpindler
    Options
    Good for you, Shannon for taking the first step towards better health!!

This is my 5th week that I started trying to be healthier since my wedding in October 2012 and I have at least 160lbs to go!

As long as we all support each other during our ups and downs then we will all succeed!!

Good luck to you! I wish you the best!
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Losing 100 pounds is an admirable goal. But, that is almost 3 pounds a week. I think it's doable maybe for a couple of months. But, it will slow down for a lot of reasons. The main reason is for every 5 pounds you lose you have to cut calories or increase exercise because eventually your weight alone isn't enough to cause you to burn the same calories you would be burning now. There are other reasons as well.

I think having a more realistic goal would be a better starting point, say maybe 70 pounds. If you lose more than that great, if you lose that better yet, if you lose a little less it's not a big deal, because you have made the changes you need to make to keep losing weight.

In any case to lose weight it's critical to know how many calories you consume in a day.

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

And just as important how many you burn in a day.

http://caloriecount.about.com/tools/calories-burned

Also keep in mind both numbers are estimates so they are starting point numbers. Everyone is different those that have more muscle burn more calories than other people of the same height and weight. To track your calorie needs vs your burn rate and weight loss rate you will need to also track your weight and make adjustments as necessary.
  • tierre1
    tierre1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Myfitness has helped me a lot. By tracking my daily caloric intake I've become more conscious of what I'm eating. Prior to this site I had lost a few pounds and am glad to say it's helped me lose another 7lbs.

Best wishes!
  • lee625
    lee625 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP.. I have only been on here since last week but love the support, encouragement, and ideas. I already have lost and feeling good about the changes.. Feel free to add me if you like
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I have been here about two weeks. It is hard at first to get the hang of journaling, but that will be the death of the cravings. Feel free to add me as a friend if you need support.

This is a very supportive group and the topics are dead on, however, stay away from food topics before bed, the topic about cravings was once my downfall and I had pizza at night, which is not helpful to me.
  • bhisken
    bhisken Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You are welcome to add me. I have been doing mfp for a year now. I really needed to know there were others ready to change also.
  • Puppychow11
    Options
    Welcome! Just joined myself :wink:
  • zebstriped
    Options
    Congratulations on taking the first step! My first, and so far hardest change has been increasing my water intake.

Turns out, most of the time I thought I was starving I was actually thirsty (often not consuming ANY water for an entire day)! I've been drinking minimum 8x8oz glasses of water per day and feel great.

I'm not sure if that advice will help you, but I find I'm no longer hungry at odd times.
  • zebstriped
    Options
    It is hard at first to get the hang of journaling, but that will be the death of the cravings.

So true! By keeping track, I've really noticed where my calories are coming from.