my first 5k

Options
bomberchamp
bomberchamp Posts: 30 Member
In January I weighed in at 260 pounds and was not feeling very good about any thing. I decided to do something about it and after trying all kinds of diets that didn't really work I decided to give MFP a try. I also decided I had to move more and that the one thing I hadn't ever given a shot at was running. I am into my 30th year of doing tile and carpet work for a living. Needless to say my knees aren't the best and I had all kind of foot pain from being so heavy. I downloaded runkeeper along with MFP and got to work. I did the run for fat loss program on runkeeper then started the train for a 5k program next. I started to gain some stamina and could actually run 1 1/2 miles without stopping. I decided to bump up my schedule by a few weeks so I could do the autism race last weekend.

I had a goal of under 35 minutes which I thought was respectable for some one who has NEVER run in his life before. I didn't think it was possible but had to have a number to shoot for. I ran the first mile and then my iPod screwed up so I walked a bit to get it back going but then found myself walking about every quarter mile after that for about 25 yards or so. I wasn't on pace to make it in my goal if I kept this up so I stretched the running out a bit and shortened the walk distance.

The last 1/2 mile I was hurting a bit but as I made the last turn with about 50 yards to the finish line I saw the clock and stared sprinting cuz I knew I was going to make my time.

I crossed the line at 34:13!

I grabbed a water and kept walking to cool down. Then I realized how hard I had worked for this moment and emotion took over. Lets just say I'm glad this tough dad had sunglasses on and had dumped water over my head. What a feeling of accomplishment to set a goal and reach it.

Replies

• hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! It's a great feeling to set a goal and not only meet it, but to exceed it. Good job!
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    That is an amazing story! Thanks for sharing. I am hoping to run a 5K in the fall. You're an inspiration Keep up the great work!
  • Jamiew3kids
    Jamiew3kids Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Great story! I have my 5k coming up next weekend, its been over 3 years since I ran a race! Your story is going to keep me going!!
  • bringingbonnieback
    Options
    That's fantastic! My son wants me to run a 5k with him in 3 weeks. I'm not a runner but I figure I don't have anything to lose. Thanks for sharing your success!
  • alexveksler
    alexveksler Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Fantastic story, man!!! Congrats! You inspiring me because I am running my first one ever on May 11, at the age of 51 with my 90LB weight loss. I can't wait!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!