Bugs & Cycling

Options
I've taken up cycling and with the weather warming up, I'm encountering a big problem: bugs! It's mostly gnats and similar bugs that I end up riding into (I cycle through rural areas so they're unavoidable). Every time I look up potential solutions, I see people on bike forums just spouting, "yum, extra protein" and other incredibly useless comments to people who have asked. I HATE bugs. Bugs smacking into my lips really freaks me out and it's making me want to just quit until winter time.

Is there anything I can do here? I've thought of surgical masks but if there's any potential solution that would make me look slightly less bizarre to the other cyclists/walkers/runners I pass, it'd be a plus. Am I the only person extremely bothered by this?! I've seen neoprene half-masks marketed for motorcyclists, but the only ones I can find cheap online are like skull or demon-patterned, and call me picky, but as a 27-year-old woman, they don't really float my boat.

If you were cycling and saw someone wearing a bandanna or half-mask, would you think they were completely nuts or am I over-thinking this?

Replies

• MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Don't smile when you ride. Those things are a booger to pick out of your teeth.

:laugh:

I honestly don't know how I'd react if I saw this.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I wear sunglasses to protect my eyes, anything else I just deal with. Comes with the territory, though I've never experienced problems like yours. Not sure if it's because I'm not as sensitive as you are, or if it's because bugs aren't as big a problem where I live. My biggest issue with when a beetle hits me in the face at 45mph...
  • 3ssicajay
    3ssicajay Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I do my best to keep my mouth closed (which often isn't easy-- I'm a beginner so I'm still huffing and puffing!) but even then they still hit me in the lips/mouth and it makes me crazy. Luckily I have glasses to they stay out of my eyes at least. Being a big baby about bugs definitely makes things worse for me, I'm sure. With all the cow and horse pastures I go past on both sides of me, it's just like going through clouds of bugs all over the place :/
  • shiningnebula
    Options
    Hi there, you can buy lightweight buffs that are either plain or patterned (whichever you prefer). They are basically a thin material that you pull over your nose and mouth. I also wear sunglasses no matter the weather whilst cycling as I've had collisions with flies and not being able to see while cycling downhill at speed is not pleasant (or safe)!
  • 3ssicajay
    3ssicajay Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    That sounds promising! I didn't know the term "buff" so I'll definitely look into them. Thanks!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Cyclists just learn to deal with it. They end up in your eyes, up your nose, and in your mouth. I've come home with them inside my shirt or sports bra. Bugs and cycling just seem to go together!
  • gymboreejunkie
    gymboreejunkie Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I too have run into this issue. I hate bugs as well, but I don't let it stop me from doing something I love. :)

I'm not sure if you wear a helment when you ride, but maybe you can buy/make a clear plastic visor that covers your face so you can still see, it's clear so no one thinks you're going to mug them when you ride by them with a face mask on :laugh: and you can remove it during the colder months when bugs aren't an issue...

As far as people looking at you funny, honestly, anyone who bike rides would know why you're wearing something over your face.

Happy Riding!
  • phytogurl
    phytogurl Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I like the spring time cycling with the flowers blooming and the great smells, but I don't miss the bugs! At one point I used a sheer bug/head net, but I felt pretty foolish, and the net felt gross when it got all wet from my sweaty face. Now, I just breath thru my teeth and nose and try to exhale hard every once in a while to blow them away! If it gets real bad, I might use a free hand to bat them away.
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Large, wraparound glasses like Oakley and Rudy Project will keep them out of your eyes.

Nothing that I've ever seen will keep them out of your mouth and nose without messing with your breathing. It's just something to learn to deal with.
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Just hacked and gagged after one flew in my mouth about 10 minutes ago. It stinks and I hate it, but it is part of the game. I try to spit before I swallow it, but sometimes it still happens. Sigh...
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    At least it's just gnats. You really do get used to it. I caught a wasp in my cleavage last year and got stung in the boob. It puts things in perspective.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I've read (and you can Google it) that gnats are more attracted to some people than others. Here's a link to one article below. People think the type of soap, perfume, low salt, high blood sugar, etc. might have something to do with whether gnats love you or not.

http://www.knowswhy.com/why-do-gnats-follow-you/

Ticks in the summer, gnats, etc., are just part of life. And no, seeing somebody with a face mask on wouldn't bother me. I would think they had allergies. Once in a while I see somebody walking around with a mask.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    'Buffs' etc. are fine, but I find they restrict my breathing and the last thing I would want is something wrapped around my neck and over my nose and mouth while the sun is beating down... I only wear them in the winter for warmth!

If you do get bugs in your mouth, either spit them out or log them as extra protein :wink: :laugh:
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    good eyeshades, certain helmets have netting behind the air-vents to prevent bee/wasp stings to the head, but for the face - it's down to spit out and rinse if it's a meaty one, I'm afraid... It's one of the few good parts of winter riding - no flying protein...
  • NiallWallace
    NiallWallace Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    +1 on the buff, I use them while mountain biking in icky conditions to keep mud out.
    +1 also on Cloggsy saying they are warm!

Best bug strike ever for me was running into the back of a foggy bummer (bumble bee) on a descent, right on the bottom lip
    That one hurt for a while...
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I bike in TX so even in the winter I can't imagine biking in a buff - I use those when it's freezing, snowing, and I am skiing!

Glasses to keep them out of your eyes are important, but I guess I just had to get used to everything else... When I am finished they are usually stuck to sweat, sunscreen, I've occasionally swallowed some. Ick.

A couple of weeks ago I had a crash and sprayed the road rash with bactine - picked about 15 little gnat corpses out of my road rash. It's disgusting, but it's liveable :)
  • dochologram
    Options
    Don't smile when you ride. Those things are a booger to pick out of your teeth.

:laugh:

I honestly don't know how I'd react if I saw this.

I'm looking at your avatar and seeing the humor in this response. The answer is in the picture.
  • 04ward
    04ward Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    My husband has a seamless, lightweight stretchy knit neck scarf that he uses this time of year to pull up over his nose due to allergies/asthma problems when he's out riding. Also works for bugs in addition to sunglasses. It is similar to this on Amazon.http://www.amazon.com/Processing-time-days-Comfortable-Warmkeeping/dp/B00J3V6F60/ref=sr_1_71?ie=UTF8&qid=1399954679&sr=8-71&keywords=cycling+scarf. Several riders here are starting to buy them since he did. You might give it a try! :)
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    ride roads. they are only on paths in IL. Perhaps you have it worse.