Ran my first 5K!!

Options
I ran my very first 5K this past Sunday. My husband and I ran the 5K in the OKC Memorial Marathon in honor of my husband's aunt, who is a survivor of the OKC bombing. She was on the 1st floor of the building when it exploded. She was at the marathon along with her sister (my husband's other aunt) cheering on me and my husband and another friend of theirs.

It was so awesome running this race. It was a great feeling to be able to run in honor of someone else and to have others there cheering me on as I crossed the finish line.

I've never been a runner before (I'm still not really). I'm pretty sure I've never ran more than a 1/10th of a mile before stopping to walk. However, on Sunday I ran most of the 3.1 miles. I wasn't wearing a monitor so I can't say for sure, but I'd estimate that I jogged at least 75% of the 3.1 miles. I finished it in 40 minutes.

I feel quite proud of myself for running the majority of the time. Especially since I didn't train for this. I'm also proud that my fitness level has improved so much since I started back on MFP back in early Februrary that I was able to go out there and perform as well as I did.

I'm definitely thinking I want to do more 5K's. I might even start training for them and try to improve my time. :)

Replies

• mk_hammer
    mk_hammer Posts: 105
    Options
    That's an awesome accomplishment--congrats! You should be proud! :smile: It's such a great feeling finishing a race.

I did the Color Run 5K a few weeks ago, and I'm hooked! I signed up for the Zombie Run 5K in June.
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, good time too.
  • girlfromOklahoma
    girlfromOklahoma Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! :)
  • squirrell79
    squirrell79 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    You ran, and to my thinking, that means: you're a runner! Congratulations!
  • girlfromOklahoma
    girlfromOklahoma Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    You ran, and to my thinking, that means: you're a runner! Congratulations!

Well I like the way you think. Who knows maybe I can build on this and start running for exercise a couple of times a week. Thanks for all the positive feedback everyone. :)
  • cjustine1
    cjustine1 Posts: 15
    Options
    that's an amazing accomplishment, congratulations girl!
  • aperrillioux
    aperrillioux Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I've been training for a 5k but have yet to actually complete one. Which leads me to...
    That's an awesome accomplishment--congrats! You should be proud! :smile: It's such a great feeling finishing a race.

I did the Color Run 5K a few weeks ago, and I'm hooked! I signed up for the Zombie Run 5K in June.

I'm doing the Zombie Run too! Mine is not until September though. It's wayyy away. And I'm doing the Rugged Maniac in August. I'm so excited to try the obstacle courses! Everyone looks like they have so much fun!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!