Recipes with Apples

Options
tc41586
tc41586 Posts: 136 Member
I have about half of a bushel of Honeycrisp apples that I need to use. Any suggestions?

I have already made a pie (with no butter and VERY little sugar, then I took it to work) and dehydrated apple slices.

Looking for some healthy recipe ideas. Thanks!!

Replies

• erg2013
    erg2013 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I don't have a recipe off hand - but red apples go great with pork. I got a seasoning packet from McCormick where I marinated the pork in that mixture and apple cider vinegar. Pan fry the pork (with seasoning mix) and then cube up the apples and toss in the pan when the pork is just about done.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I like slicing apples thin and putting them in gilled cheese sandwiches with sharp cheddar. Add them to pancakes or muffins. Make a topping for French toast. My kids love my apple "crisp" which is apples sautéed on the stove top, sometimes with a little Country Crock, sometimes just with cooking spray, add a little brown sugar and some cinnamon. Toast some oatmeal in the oven with brown sugar and cinnamon. Once toasted, add to the apples for a quick toss, then serve. Taffy apple salad or any fruit salad would be good as well, or add them to a salad with walnuts or pecans and a tangy cheese for some sweetness and crunch.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Yummy!

Romaine & red leaf lettuce, apples, walnuts, gorgonzola cheese & dried cranberries (I left out red onions). I used Newman's Light Cranberry Vinegrette .... but would like to try an apple cider vinegrette .... here: http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Apple---Walnut-Salad

Waldorf Salad ....http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/lightened-waldorf-salad-10000001662930/

Tuna/apple salad (usually green apples) ... basically tuna salad with red bell pepper .... here: http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Apple-Tuna-Sandwiches
  • Alison12121
    Alison12121 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    You could make Pork Chops with Apple Sauce:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/10/pork-chops-and-applesauce.html

I made it the other day, and it was great. Next time I make it, I won't bother peeling the apples.
  • zumbarock
    zumbarock Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Bump! I've got a buschel too and was thinking the same thing! Thanks
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Baked apples!
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I make a lot of curry dishes, and I use grated apple sometimes to lower the heat if its too spicy.

I think you can add grated apple to any baking.
    My Favourite is quinoa or stone ground oats in the crock pot with cinnamon and big chunks of apple.
  • Davina_JH
    Davina_JH Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    GIVE THEM TO ME TO EAT

yum :flowerforyou:
  • tc41586
    tc41586 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I like slicing apples thin and putting them in gilled cheese sandwiches with sharp cheddar. Add them to pancakes or muffins. Make a topping for French toast. My kids love my apple "crisp" which is apples sautéed on the stove top, sometimes with a little Country Crock, sometimes just with cooking spray, add a little brown sugar and some cinnamon. Toast some oatmeal in the oven with brown sugar and cinnamon. Once toasted, add to the apples for a quick toss, then serve. Taffy apple salad or any fruit salad would be good as well, or add them to a salad with walnuts or pecans and a tangy cheese for some sweetness and crunch.

The grilled cheese sounds amazing!!!
  • connielouivey
    connielouivey Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    great ideas! I love apples
  • AdrianeParese
    Options
    Chicken Salad

1 chicken breast cooked and shredded
    1 or 2 apples diced
    grapes cut in half
    plain greek yogurt
    mix altogether, put over lettuce leaves or make a sandwich. Sounds good going to try this today. could use some seasonings just not sure what.
  • wllwsmmr
    wllwsmmr Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    This is more of a really simple dessert dish, but I just microwave an apple and then add cinnamon (and some sugar/splenda if you need!)

Or you can just have slices with yoghurt/hummus/guacamole!

Apples go well with pork too :)
  • AdrianeParese
    Options
    I just made this and it is DELISH!! Makes a plate full, all that protein and it's healthy, no guilt!! My new fav! The Chicken Salad ^^^
  • Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I use up my apples on breakfast sandwhiches. I slice some apple, use 1 serving of red raspberry jam or fig butter, and put on a small (53 grams) croissant = 253 calories. It my favorite breakfast concoction.

You can bake apples lots of different ways. I sliced and cooked them in a saucepan with a splash or orange juice, one serving of jam, 1/8 cup of maple syrup instead of sugar ( i have used brown sugar in the past but was out of brown sugar), some cinnamon. I let it cook until it juices up, then add 1/4 cup flour and forms a glaze. I have added raisins or some nuts at times, too. You can add some oats, too. My serving size comes out to 140 calories. I like it cold, my boyfriend likes it warm
  • jenelizmin
    jenelizmin Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    bump