Logging fruit, veggies, milk, etc?

Options
I wasn't sure if I should log these types of things because MFP doesn't "know" good fats/sugars vs bad fats/sugars. For example, 1 cup of skim milk has 12g of sugar and my daily allotment is only like 40g (can't remember the exact # but it's around there). Are most of you logging these??

Replies

• artbkward
    artbkward Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Yes, it all counts.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I wasn't sure if I should log these types of things because MFP doesn't "know" good fats/sugars vs bad fats/sugars. For example, 1 cup of skim milk has 12g of sugar and my daily allotment is only like 40g (can't remember the exact # but it's around there). Are most of you logging these??
    Yes, you still need to log them. If you know what are "good" and "bad" sugars, then just take that into consideration when looking at your totals for the day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Log everything...dairy in particular is a calorie dense food...why wouldn't you log it?

The recommendation for sugar is based on the AHA's recommendation for added sugar, not fruit, veg or lactose. Unless you have a medical condition that warrants tracking sugar, don't worry about it...manage you macros, not your micros (except make sure you're getting your vitamins). If you're really concerned about it, just try to avoid high fructose corn syrup and other added sugars and get your sugars from natural sources in their natural state.
  • briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Definitely log everything good or bad log it all. Also, I dont worry too much from sugar coming from fruit. You and I both know that sugar in fruit is good for you whereas sugar in a cookie is bad sugar.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I am more of a counting calories type of person rather than tracking my fats and carbs. Log it, and keep your bad fats and bad sugars to a minimum and you will be fine
  • skorpio1030
    Options
    I log everything! I don't really pay too much attention to those other numbers. Mostly just my calorie intake.
  • Ok, thanks everyone! So is fat free milk a "bad" sugar then? I haven't been concerned with veggies, fruits and nuts as far as fat/sugars, but wasn't sure about milk....
  • seths_wife
    seths_wife Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Um, yeah. It all counts.
  • lisanxd
    lisanxd Posts: 93
    Options
    Ok, thanks everyone! So is fat free milk a "bad" sugar then? I haven't been concerned with veggies, fruits and nuts as far as fat/sugars, but wasn't sure about milk....

Depends on who you ask. Many fitness trainers, including Chris Powell, recommend switching to unsweetened almond milk. My trainer does as well.
  • abnerner
    abnerner Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    everything is logged. this was kind of hard for me at first because I used to do WW and veggies were not any points, but you need to track everything that you eat or drink!
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Ok, thanks everyone! So is fat free milk a "bad" sugar then? I haven't been concerned with veggies, fruits and nuts as far as fat/sugars, but wasn't sure about milk....
    No it's not a bad sugar, but you need to log it all the same. It just gives you a better picture overall. If all your sugar comes from natural sources there is no reason to be overly concerned with going over on your sugar. However if you don''t log it you don't get a true picture of calories eaten.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting = counting your calories - ALL OF THEM!! :-)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    So, if you aren't going to log what you eat honestly, what's the point of logging at all?
  • slroggemann
    slroggemann Posts: 168 Member
    Options

No, it's not. lactose is naturally occurring in milk, and therefore doesn't count as an "added sugar". MFP is really low on their settings for sugars in macros, but that number is for added sugar, not naturally occurring sugars that are found in milk, fruits, and vegetables. Naturally occurring sugars are good for you, don't worry about it.
  • caly_man
    caly_man Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    since you only have 6 lbs to lose, i would make sure to know my TDEE (total number of calories your body burns everyday) then I would eat somewhere between 10% to 20% below TDEE and not worry about where the calories are coming from. so yes, log everything.

once you start hitting your calorie goal you'll be in a deficit and you'll shed those unwanted pounds.

good luck
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I find it impossible to be accurate with the macros anyhow because so many foods only have the calorie count or you get a ham sandwich for instance - allegedly without any protein etc.
  • akindc
    akindc Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    You log everything. While it means where the sugar is coming from, sugar is sugar and should be all tracked.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

Calories from "good fats/sugars" are still calories. If you eat more calories in a day than you use, you will gain weight. If you ate 100% "good fats/sugars" and they added up to 3000 calories and you only used 2000 calories though existing/exercise, then you would still gain a couple pounds a week.

"Good" or "bad", count them all.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

The sugar in milk is produced naturally and is called lactose and is only found in milk. Whether it's good or bad really depends on you...it is broken down by the enzyme lactase. As we get older, we naturally shed our lactase enzymes; if you drank a lot of milk growing up, you will retain more as an adult. If you didn't drink a lot growing up or have gone a long time without drinking milk, you may develop an intolerance to lactose.

Lactose is broken down pretty quick which causes an insulin surge (as with any sugar, but much more so than sugar from fruit and veg). If you are pre-diabetic or insulin resistant at all, it would be best to avoid, but if you have no underlying medical condition and aren't lactose intolerant, then enjoy your milk...I would however recommend at least 2% and just keep it to a minimum. Less lactose and you need your healthy fats...unless you're getting enough fat elsewhere and don't want to splurge it on dairy. Personally, I do very little dairy, so a full fat variety works perfectly for me and my macros.
  • norrisski
    norrisski Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Everything you put in your mouth goes in the log, Period.