Anyone else lose their mojo when they get home from work!?

Options
I'll eat great all day, be so proud of myself, then destroy it when I get home. I'm not even talking about mindless snacking in front of the TV. I'll plan out my dinner on here, doing things like planning on not putting cheese in my salad, skipping the bread with pasta, only having one sausage, whatever, and then it's almost like a lose my mind while cooking. I cook dinner for my partner and I every night and will typically give her those "extras" i listed above, but then I find myself putting them on my plate, too (or worse, "sampling" while I cook!!)

uggh! Someone give me words of encouragement, please :-)

Replies

• j_ringsaker
    j_ringsaker Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Right there with ya. My wife isn't overly supportive, so when I get home and she has hamberger helper made........

let's just say I eat more than I plan.
  • slroggemann
    slroggemann Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I always plan things and it just takes a ton of willpower to look at something and say "no" to it. I struggle with that daily - I caved and had an unplanned cookie for my morning snack on campus today, for example - but it's just a matter of planning those into your day or being able to say no.
  • bubbleskiwi
    bubbleskiwi Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    that happens to me when we're invited for a family dinner or at a special gathering. I plan to only have 1 piece of cake or whatever, and end up leaving the dinner stuffed.
    oh well!
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    Drink some flavored tea while you cook to keep your mouth occupied.
  • lcvaughn520
    lcvaughn520 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Happens to me too! I've started snacking on raw veggies and fat free dip when I cook so I avoid being way too hungry by the time dinner is ready. It helps with my willpower and portion control so I don't go nuts.
  • Italianyc84
    Italianyc84 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I hate to deprive myself, but I honestly think it might be better if I just avoid certain foods entirely. Sometimes I'll tell myself "just one small piece of bread with dinner" and I'll weight it out and everything, but then I'm like "ah, *kitten* it" and end up going for more! I think I just need to cut out certain items and save them for special occasions (and before people start yelling at me, I'm just using bread as an example, I'm not doing low-carb, trust me, I'm Italian I eat plenty of pasta!!)

That's a good idea about the flavored tea, I'm going to try that later! Little tastes of cheese add up, I'm probably consuming 2 ounces more than I realize!
  • Joniboloney
    Joniboloney Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. I can be so disciplined all day at work and then as soon as I walk in the door. I become the Hoover vacuum! I can easily consume 1000kc before dinner. :sick: I think it's a stress reliever for me. I'm trying now to pop strong flavor cinnamon gum in my mouth when I pull into the driveway. I then go right to the kitchen sink and drink 8 oz of water. It helps a lot. No Hoover Vaccum. :smile:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Perhaps calorie goals need to be re-evaluated...
  • challenger9509
    challenger9509 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I am exactly the same way..my biggest struggle. good ideas posted by the others and I will have to try them too. Just comes down to willpower. My body hits relaxation mode in a way from a long busy day where I dont think about food so when I get home its on my mind.

Good luck!!!
  • bbbgamer
    bbbgamer Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    yes, but unfortunately I usually dont find it again for a few days....
  • AnJulNZ
    AnJulNZ Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I lose my mojo after work too. Not with food though, with exercise. If I've missed my workout in the morning and I say to myself I'll do it after work, it almost never happens. I'm just so shattered from work, then when I get home the kids want a piece of me, and there's housework to be done, dinner to make, homework, etc etc etc. After all of that I usually just find myself collapsed in an armchair until it's time for bed!
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I got I got it...brush your teeth! -- A comment I once heard on MFP.
  • gelendestrasse
    Options
    Oh yeah, I'm pretty well wiped out and if somebody brings out the chips....

I've started munching an apple at my desk before I leave. That's not as bad. Try a smaller dinner plate and purge the house of all junk food, if it's not there you can't eat it. Of course that's free advice so you know what it's worth, but maybe it will help.
  • AmberLee2012
    Options
    Oh yes! I even try and close out my diary before I get home hoping that will be a signal to my brain no more eating other than what is on there. It rarely works. I just try and get a work out in like a walk after dinner so that I can burn some of it off.
  • bbbgamer
    bbbgamer Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I even try and close out my diary before I get home hoping that will be a signal to my brain no more eating other than what is on there. It rarely works.
    ahhh, i just did that myself!
  • SoftailSpringer
    Options
    Try eating a little protein before you leave work (celery and Peanut butter, small piece of cheese). If I don't do this, I feel starved by the time I get home, then watch out! Everything is fair game at that point.
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I mess up when unexpected things pop up. Last night I went out on a last minute date, so didn't go to the gym, nor did I eat what I had planned on eating. It happens quite often, unfortunately. I USUALLY get a workout in before work, so that's not an every day problem...just the last minute schedule changes. Guess I have to just start sipping on only water when those things happen haha.
  • 20kb13
    20kb13 Posts: 161
    Options
    chew gum while cooking or brush your teeth before you cook
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    me too :(

ah my control that work and limited food options gives me, seems to fly out the window when i get home.

i TRY but it doesnt always go as planned.

sigh