I can't find a judgment free gym =(

Options
124»

Replies

• munkyblew
    munkyblew Posts: 14
    Options
    They have Planet Fitness which bases itself on a judgement free zone...maybe try there?

Meant to add its fairly cheap $10 base price $20 for the black card which gives you tanning, "massages" and the ability to go to any PF gym.

Its definitely a basic gym. No classes, no pool or anything like that. but its a good place to just workout!

I go to planet fitness too!

Thing is, they have that "lunk alarm" thing, sounds like the author of this post's main problem is that people glare at him when he grunts or makes noise with weights, and the lunk alarm will go off every time he does this, compounding his problem! it's designed to keep people from being showoffs and making others uncomfortable, but i also feel like it scares away serious weightlifters, who are not always going to be able to be quiet when they lift :(

oh god sorry i didn't realize how many people had already been trolling each other over this PF thing. I hereby formally retract my post!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    The problem is your outfit. Go buy some nice lulu lemon yoga pants and a skimpy top to wear to the gym. You'll blend in better and people will be more likely to leave you alone.

I do that already and people just stare. I think I might be too hairy for it.

Better check your Lululemon pants for transparency, man. Don't make girls at the gym blush.

http://www.wcvb.com/news/money/Lululemon-yoga-pants-recalled-for-being-unexpectedly-sheer/-/9848680/19373170/-/14bdxus/-/index.html

This ^^

Or they are just jealous.

I bought up a bunch of the recalled ones recently. :D
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    They have Planet Fitness which bases itself on a judgement free zone...maybe try there?

Meant to add its fairly cheap $10 base price $20 for the black card which gives you tanning, "massages" and the ability to go to any PF gym.

Its definitely a basic gym. No classes, no pool or anything like that. but its a good place to just workout!

Thing is, they have that "lunk alarm" thing, sounds like the author of this post's main problem is that people glare at him when he grunts or makes noise with weights, and the lunk alarm will go off every time he does this, compounding his problem! it's designed to keep people from being showoffs and making others uncomfortable, but i also feel like it scares away serious weightlifters, who are not always going to be able to be quiet when they lift :(

The lunk alarm is one of the most a-hole, divisive things I've seen a business do since they outlawed of whites and coloreds specific lunch counters.
  • Splinter24
    Splinter24 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I startes crossfit 2 months ago. I found it to be an amazing environment. There are no girlies doing their hair and makeup before a workout and everyone cheers on everyone. I never feel like it matters that I'm still the slowest, it's just more people cheering for me when I finish. We're all so busy competing with ourselves, no one is concerned with anyone elses time or reps. We all look like crap at the end, so there is no judging appearances! And anyone there trying to "look good and flirt" wouldn't get past the warmup.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Weird....you didn't mention any of this the other day. Did you change gyms? :laugh:
    I go to a pretty exclusive strength gym. It's about $2000 a month, but has some nice amenities, like private showers, tv, couches, etc, personal parking space.

No. And the girl that's always at my gym is super pushy when she comes in the weight room too. She doesn't know how to work in, she just takes over. :(
  • MrsSassyPants
    MrsSassyPants Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Plaster a big *kitten* goofy smile on your face.....people will smile back. It really works. I see the intense workout face and it's not always approachable. I have that face sometimes. REALLY!!!! JUST SMILE A LOT!!! People will want to be like you! Also women have to summon a lot of courage to lift. It's the fear talking, Just let it go.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    The problem is your outfit. Go buy some nice lulu lemon yoga pants and a skimpy top to wear to the gym. You'll blend in better and people will be more likely to leave you alone.

Woah :) Don't knock the lululemon it's just so comfortableeeee and soft and light weight.

Blah I really don't care if someone makes noises lifting, I usually can't hear unless you drop reallllllll hard anyways. My head phones are on.

The only time I glare is when teenagers are standing around blabbing and not using the area but blocking others from equipment. Usually the guys believe it or not.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options

OMG just read the article. What an idiotic notion. Even in my power class and my core CLASS I let out a noise occasionally. I don't mean to but sometimes that's what happens if you push yourself. I would imagine those of you in the weight section lifting have that issue compounded.
  • brassballa
    brassballa Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Try the YMCA ....all different types of people and everyone is nice you have your serious lifters and you have your in betweens and all the newbies that usually appreciate a helping hand .....but I'm from the south so maybe working out is different here...well at least at the Y :0)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I just prefer to never leave my house. Ever.

hows that working for ya?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    OP - just throw your headphones on,do your thing, and don't help anyone. F em, right?

every once in a while, while I am DL'ing the grip will slip and I drop that **** with a serious bang...I usually just look at my hands blame it on ****ty grip and move to the next exercise...if you act like you don't give a *kitten* and that you won the place you will be all good....
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're just too hot and the ladies can't keep their eyes off you!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    This makes me thankful for my gym, despite its shortcomings.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    all this arguing makes me wanna go deadlift in my garage.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    all this arguing makes me wanna go deadlift in my garage.

I will be over in a bit.
  • innocenceportrayed
    innocenceportrayed Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I only have 2 gyms to choose from around one, one at my school and one at the local hospital. Netiher are greatest of choices as far as people and equipment, but I've gotten to the point where I said EFF it and everyone in here. Half of them are silently judging and the other half are worried I'm silently judging and to be honest, I don't care either way. I'm here for me, only me, and my health and what I do isn't any more of their business as what they do is mine.

That's just me.
  • kristy_n0831
    kristy_n0831 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Small gyms are the way to go!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    obvi troll post and people take it seriously? SMH.

MFP may be helping us with our calories, but not so much with the noggin.

No kidding. Good lord.

F me i was thinking that but it took seriously..I am usually pretty good at spotting these....I get an F on this one...
  • Swampyankee512
    Options
    YMCA.
  • lovemitch125
    lovemitch125 Posts: 257 Member
    Options

That's what I was going to suggest. It has "Judgement Free Zone" on every wall and every piece of equipment. The one near me, people seem to follow it.