Chia Seeds help

Options
So I have been reading up on Chia seeds and like a lot of the benefits. I looked up ways to use them and so forth but I have yet to find out what the proper amount to use is and how often. Is it more like a once a day add it to something thing or should it be added to 3 meals? Or should I even drink it 30-45 mins before eating? Sorry if I sound stupid but I am lost and looking for a little guidance.

Replies

• t2kburl
    t2kburl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert either but I read somewhere to mix 1 T with 8 oz water, stir, wait 5 min, stir again & drink.
    I mix in a teaspoon of Spirulina sometimes too.
    I consider this a between meal snack.
  • Mebobbell
    Mebobbell Posts: 10
    Options
    I stir a tablespoon of them into my yogurt and let it sit for a few minutes so they soften. I also add them to smoothies but they thicken so you have to drink it after making it or add more liquid than you normally would to accommodate. They are small but every time I use them in something I stay full for longer than without them.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I use them in protein bars and balls.

Like this recipe: http://applesundermybed.com/2011/07/05/date-pecan-coffee-balls/

This one (instead of the wattle seed): http://chocolatechillimango.com/2011/07/05/abc-energy-bars/#.UX9OVLVvBWU
  • fShaw86
    fShaw86 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    My grandfather used to get them powdered, and add them to plain water. My son and I prefer them whole, in juices. I've seen people making Jellos with these seeds in them- makes a tasty dessert. Also gives milkshakes a nice crunch lol. Also, tastes nice sprinkled over salads, and meats.
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Where do you purchase them?
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Here are some of the date/almond/chia balls I've made:

8685542562_cd5fc8caa0.jpg

Soaked in coconut milk overnight:

8490664750_f52d415b30.jpg

Protein bars with nuts, chia seeds and protein powder:

8627255808_0282476c6e.jpg
  • LetsGetFitMama
    Options
    This is great! Thanks everyone for sharing your ideas and input!

I live in Canada so I bought mine at our local bulk barn but I believe you should be able to get them at most health food stores.
  • samsamnojam
    samsamnojam Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I like them added to juice. Don't leave them too long to thicken up. I also make a chia porridge by soaking them overnight in water or almond millk, then adding greek yoghurt, chopped blueberries, cacao powder, coconut manna.... quite sweet and yummy. It feels really wholesome. Really, you can add whatever you like. I'd say experiment with them and see what inspiration you get from the texture and taste. You can't really go wrong.

nz_deevaa's protein bars look good though!

Sam x
  • LissaK1981
    LissaK1981 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I love doing a few different things with them. I like to add 1tbs to 4-6 oz of yogurt and stir, then let it sit for about an hour in the fridge. gives it a really creamy consistency. I add 1 tbs to 4oz of water then let sit for an hour, then add 1/3 to 1/2 cup of juice, and some homemade kombucha. sometimes I put 1tbs in the coffee grinder and powder it then add to granola.
  • koootenay
    koootenay Posts: 126 Member
    Options

8627255808_0282476c6e.jpg

Ohhh man those look like gooey goodness : )
  • _rozamu
    _rozamu Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Bump for later!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Here are some of the date/almond/chia balls I've made:

8685542562_cd5fc8caa0.jpg

Soaked in coconut milk overnight:

8490664750_f52d415b30.jpg