POLAR FT4 - Doesn't work anymore, have you had this problem?

Options
Hi!

I've had the Polar FT4 for a couple months now - loved it, worked so well - and I believe it made me want to work out more. Anyways, lately when i work out it doesn't read - states, "check your heart rate monitor."

Regardless of how much I sweat, and lets be honest - sweat take place between the boobs, shouldn't the heart rate monitor continue to work?

Anyone else have this issue before?

I think its too late to return it - do you suggest a new one?

Thanks!

Alex

Replies

• travlinjess
    travlinjess Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Odd, I've had mine for a few months and it just started acting iffy on me in the same way. I've been able to get it started, but I fear it will only get worse…It could be the strap, low battery in the transmitter, etc etc…which are fix-able. I've also read that Polar has pretty good customer service…

Here's a prior post that addresses the same thing:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/331402-problems-with-polar-ft4
  • janenstella
    janenstella Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have only had mine Polar FT4 for 8 days now, no issues yet, but when I went to Best Buys web site, that was one of the complaints that it does not always register heart rate. Because of the negatives I did buy the extra Best Buy warranty.
    I do love keeping tract of my calorie burn. I agree with you it does want to make you work out more, you can see the calories used during exercise.
    I also agree with the sweat between the girls I never have to re-wet it & I have worn my all day already.
    I would try to return it. I think it had a 1 year warranty.
  • jonisteenhoek
    jonisteenhoek Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I had this problem after wearing it for a month or so....I, of course, didn't read the manual where it said that you need to wash the strap regularly. I started washing it after three or four wears (just in the sink with some soap) and it works wonderfully now.....
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I have only had mine Polar FT4 for 8 days now, no issues yet, but when I went to Best Buys web site, that was one of the complaints that it does not always register heart rate. Because of the negatives I did buy the extra Best Buy warranty.
    I do love keeping tract of my calorie burn. I agree with you it does want to make you work out more, you can see the calories used during exercise.
    I also agree with the sweat between the girls I never have to re-wet it & I have worn my all day already.
    I would try to return it. I think it had a 1 year warranty.

Don't wear it all day - not even close to accurate.

OP, have you washed the strap?
    I've had the issue and washing the strap helps.
    So does stopping it and restarting it.
    Unless I'm swimming, I can't get it to work right when I'm swimming lol
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Every now and then you need to wash it in the washing machine, like the manual says. I've had that problem before, and once I wash it, its fine.
  • alexandraleaden
    Options
    I had this problem after wearing it for a month or so....I, of course, didn't read the manual where it said that you need to wash the strap regularly. I started washing it after three or four wears (just in the sink with some soap) and it works wonderfully now.....

OK so I take off the actual hear rate monitor and then just throw the whole strap in detergent water to clean?

I feel weird throwing the starp in with the connectors, etc. (not talking about the actual HRM part that you clip in)
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    Just the strap only I have a FT7 and wash it every now and then too. Do not throw it in the dryer hang it to dry.
  • jonisteenhoek
    jonisteenhoek Posts: 92 Member
    Options

OK so I take off the actual hear rate monitor and then just throw the whole strap in detergent water to clean?

I feel weird throwing the starp in with the connectors, etc. (not talking about the actual HRM part that you clip in)

Yep, just the strap. I know you can put it in the wash machine, but that just makes me too nervous. I've just put my in the sink with some water and a bit of detergent and rinsed by hand.
  • 78brownie_wechanged
    Options
    I had the same issue. I changed the battery but still had the same issue. After researching I decided to change my strap to the soft strap via Amazon. Since then, I haven't had that issue. HTH

I needed a smaller strap anyway. Two wins for me.

Edit: The strap is machine washable
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    They have electrode gels that will help with the conduction. You can Google it, or I also found KY Jelly to have about the same consistency, is water soluble and you can find it anywhere. :blushing:
  • alexandraleaden
    Options
    I had the same issue. I changed the battery but still had the same issue. After researching I decided to change my strap to the soft strap via Amazon. Since then, I haven't had that issue. HTH

Interesting! can you maybe provide a link to that soft strap on amazon for me?

Thank you!
  • LissaK1981
    LissaK1981 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Mine just crapped out on my after a year of use. I read the manual when I first got it and washed it every 4 or 5 times, but I failed to read that the contacts need to be rinsed after every use. I an guessing that the acidity of your skin or maybe the your sweat must compromise the contacts somehow.
  • LisaBeateith2012
    LisaBeateith2012 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Give the strap a good proper scrub when your in the shower.......That is what I did.........Plus wash it in the washing machine after 5 wears!

Hope you get it sorted!

Good luck!

Lisa :o))
  • dani_alaine
    Options
    BUMP. This so just happened me to also. I need help as well.
  • ellenasl210
    ellenasl210 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Make sure you rinse it after every use. The salts in your sweat can interfere with the readings. Also, wash it every other week or so if you rinse it after every use, if not i would wash it at least once a week. Hope it starts working again soon! I know I absolutely love mine(:
  • 78brownie_wechanged
    Options

Interesting! can you maybe provide a link to that soft strap on amazon for me?

Thank you!

Soft strap http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Soft-Strap-Medium-XX-Large/dp/B007XCLU66/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367354660&sr=8-1&keywords=polar+soft+strap

I use this (not necessary because you don't have to wet a soft strap from what I read.) http://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Electrode-Parker-Labs-250GM/dp/B0002CA8RQ/ref=pd_sim_sg_1

Good Luck
  • tyresank
    tyresank Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    FTI have FT7 and I purchased it in Aug 2012 and just starting having issues with it in the last few weeks. I wash the strap often so that is not the issue, but at the same time the BACK button is confused and no longer works instead it brings up the Data screen. Often I cannot get the unit to actually stop, and finally a few days ago just really no longer reliable. I ordered a new one and I have returned this one, as for once when I purchased it at SEARs I got the protection plan for $13 USD so they should be issueing me a refund store credit. I ordered the new one from HeatRateMonitorsUSA.com and got the FT7 again, but also got the NEW style of chest strap so much nicer as you do not have to wet it... love it. Wore it today for both exercise sessions. You might see what the warraty from Polar is on the units, since I had the protection plan I never looked into this via Polar's website.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options

This. Wash it. :)

If you search for the user manual online, it gives specifics on the care and feeding of the FT4.

Section 6, page 29 says wash after every use and to store the transmitter and strap not attached to each other.

http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/support/User_Manual_for_Polar_FT40_in_English
  • 78brownie_wechanged
    Options
    What seems to be the issue is the transmitter/ computer connection. After its been attached and detached (everyday sometimes several) it becomes worn out. I agree that it should be kept clean but that does nothing for everyday wear and tear.
  • Firefly1948
    Options
    So relieved to find this site! And very grateful for the advice here.

I bought my first Polar FT4 with some money my mother gave me for my 66th birthday, and started using it immediately at the gym. Absolutely love it, but it only seemed to work for 10 to 15 mins before saying that I needed to check it! Like others on here, I have been afraid to wash it, but will now do just that. Can't wait to get on the indoor bike tomorrow to try it out once again!