Extremely sore thighs and legs, any relief? = ]

Options
Hey!
So I've been doing the 30 day shred, C25k, and 30 squat challenge daily. I expect soreness but im wondering if maybe anyone has any advice to help not be so sore after. As I get use to it itll be better but im so sore now it makes me want to not do it! Im not too knowledgeable in this area, I started taking the cell-mass drink twice a day yesterday, but other than that I have NO idea if theres any other possible reliefs. Thanks! feel free to add me as well! = ]

Replies

• chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water and make sure you are getting an adequate amount of protein. Those are both preventative measures.

Foam rollers work wonders for sore muscles. And of course stretching.

Before a run, it is not neccesary to stretch, but make sure you get your heart rate up and blood pumping through your muscles before you begin. Stretch afterwards. Although, there are a lot of runners that do it the other way around or not at all, it is a personal preference of mine that has worked and never left me sore from a run.
  • koing
    koing Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Stretching a lot, when you stay still it will feel bad.

Foam rolling helps. If you don't know, just youtube it :)

If you have access to a sauna or steam room go in there.

Or if you are feeling frisky have a cold bath with ice cubes in it.

These are all temporary things you can do, but the best thing is to stretch after training and when your body adapts to it you will feel much better.

My hamstrings are KILLING me even though I have been training for 15yrs. Why? I was injured 3 weeks ago so I did little leg work and I hit them hard on Sunday and now they are killing me. If I take a break for 8 days and hit them hard they get very sore.

Koing
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    If you're really sore take a rest day or 2. Recovery and repair are just as important for your muscles as the work itself. If you don't want to take a complete day off take an active rest day where you choose an activity that burns calories without stressing your muscles (a brisk walk or easy bike ride would be examples)
  • jfsears
    jfsears Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Soak in a hot tub with 2 cups of Epsom salts
  • blmurphy37
    blmurphy37 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
    I am drinking lots of water and stretching, I havent tried foam rolls yet tho! I've done a few cold showers but not a bath, ill have to try that as well! I rather not take a break because ive just started earlier this month with cutting out my cravings and sticking to my calories and workout plan so well that I would hate to break it! I get discouraged very easily so this is another reason, but maybe just a day or two of good long walks will help and I wont feel too bad!
  • needtobefitt
    Options
    buy muscle relaxant cream! that stuff works wonders :)
  • blmurphy37
    Options
    muscle relaxant cream? I've never heard of that! where do you get yours? is it expensive?
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water and eat a banana or a potato as a recovery food, the potassium should help lessen the effect of the lactic acid build-up in your muscles. I had such bad DOMS in my hips once I wanted to die every time I got up or sat down. A warm bath helped a bit.
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options

Epsom soak is good. Also use Biofreeze or something similar. I actually use Deep Blue Rub, a doTerra essential oil blend that helps soothe aching muscles.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Make sure to stretch properly afterwards. Drink plenty of water and eat enough protein. Foam roll. Go forth and conquer.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Also, the 30 Day Shred is not really designed to be done for 30 days consecutively. Take some rest days to give your muscles time to recover properly!
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I use a marble rolling pin to roll. I prefer that to other options because I can make it hot or cold as preference or need for that day might be.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    HOT TUB! And a massage from the SO.
  • shantibk
    shantibk Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Keep the muscles warm, rub them (massage), Himalayan Rock Salt in warm water... like drinking salty water but this salt has particular minerals that help your muscles. Stretch before and after. Get good sleep 8-9 hours so your body has time to repair
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

Soak no more than 15 minutes or you dehydrate yourself

Also, take a rest day if you hurt that badly.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    Why so much in the first place? More exercise doesn't lead to better results ESPECIALLY if there's no rest. Rest is where the magic happens, not when you're exercising. Drop 1 of the 3 (personally I'd drop the squat challenge) at the very least.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • blmurphy37
    Options
    Thanks for the advice/tips everyone!
    and ninerbuff i want to keep up with a good workout plan I want to loose 50 lbs. the C25k has some rest days, 3 days a week so i will be doing less those days but i got off track with exercising. The 30 day shred is only a 30 min. video per day, the C25k is usually about 15-20 min. but im just starting so its mostly walking. and the squat challenge im doing id only 100 a day but they are different kinds(its actually only 14 days but I was going to do it twice)
    so when i look at it its really just about an hour of working out a day, and i might do extra cleaning in the house or a nice walk but nothing more at high intensity.