Runners: What do you do to cross train?

Options
I am hoping to get some ideas for cross training as a runner. I don't have access to a bike or pool right now, so those are out. What else is good?

Replies

• pstansel74
    pstansel74 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight core excercises. Squats, lunges, planks, ball stability stuff. Stronger core makes for an easier run because your form will be easier to maintain.
  • helmsara
    helmsara Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight core excercises. Squats, lunges, planks, ball stability stuff. Stronger core makes for an easier run because your form will be easier to maintain.

I do these things on strength days because I don't have access to weights either. One day I will have enough money to have a gym membership :P

Any cardio ideas?
  • lexington87
    lexington87 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    If you're already doing the core on strength days honestly try throwing in yoga (yes I realize doesn't seem like cardio) but I notice huge improvements to my time because of breath training strength and stretch
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Usually my training runs are pretty flat, so for cross training last weekend I went on a hike with a big elevation gain. It worked different muscles, it was lower impact - it worked out really well for me! If only it weren't allergy season...
  • MsBobLoblaw
    MsBobLoblaw Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    rowing and stair climbing
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I do elliptical plus lifting at the gym and yoga.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,837 Member
    Options

Yup. half of my workout routines is strength training intervals. So running Max VO2 for a short burst then fast paced walk, then stregth training set (lunges, tire flip squats, belacher run, etc), then fast paced walk....couple miles worth, or about 35 minutes. Then in to the gym to kick around weights.
  • jen10st
    jen10st Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Bump to read when I'm awake :)
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    bumping to read for later.
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I do step ups using a reebok step but stairs would do if you are pushed. I alternate starting leg every 1min 30 sec and work in sets of 6 mins stepping and 3 mins for 15 press ups, 15 crunches and 15 squats. I aim for 6 sets with set 1 and set 6 including a warm up/cool down using hand weights and stretching.
  • helmsara
    helmsara Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the great ideas!
  • jen10st
    jen10st Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I do an abs/core workout every couple of days, swim occasionally and weights for upper body. My cross training this week was digging, raking, and pulling up weeds which was a surprisingly good all over workout as everything is aching now :)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Cycling is always a good choice. Works the quads, which running does not, and also has little impact so you can do cardio training and still recover from runs.
  • scookiemonster
    scookiemonster Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My regular cardio is running, but I also sprinkle in yoga, body weight strength exercises, hiking, and rock climbing (at least once a week, and way more high intensity than anything else I do).
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I did bootcamp for a while - admittedly I haven't gone in a few months due to illness and then race training.

Things we did that I found effective in addition to lunges, planks, squats, push-ups...

Bear Crawl
    Jump Rope - this is a major cardio workout in a very brief time.
    mountain climbers
    step-ups
    jump ups
    burpees

Those are all free (minus the jump rope)
  • WannaDizzolve
    WannaDizzolve Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Yoga and strength training. Also, ballet/barre. Running and power walking (I walk almost as fast as I run). Sometimes the elliptical at the gym. But the yoga really balances the running for me.
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options

^This and plyo. I run less than half of what I used to before starting these other workouts and my run times have improved dramatically.
  • brdgt
    brdgt Posts: 20
    Options
    I do a strength training class 2X week, yoga at least 2X week, and rock climbing 2X week. Gym memberships can be expensive but I found one that has both yoga and strength training classes that totally justifies the price - if I just go to one yoga class a week it pays for itself in what I would pay on a class by class basis at a yoga studio.