Protein Bar Recipes Without Protein Powder

Options
RhineDHP
RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas. Or do I just substitute the protein powder in the other recipes I've seen with something else?

Replies

• sanric1503
    Options
    I'm not big on using protein powders either. I add in egg whites, peanut butter, chopped nuts, etc for higher protein without using powders.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    search on oh she glows blog, she has several. they don't use protein powder
    and everything is vegan, often organic, with ideas for substitutes.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Curious, what do you plan on using for protein content without protein powder?
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    isn't beef/turkey (or whatever) style of jerky basically a protein bar (w/ lots of salt, albeit).
  • RhineDHP
    Options

Food with protein that is edible in bar form.

A chicken would not be edible in bar form. Or if it was, I assume it wouldn't be too ridiculously delicious.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    nuts and seeds
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Food with protein that is edible in bar form.

A chicken would not be edible in bar form. Or if it was, I assume it wouldn't be too ridiculously delicious.

I was curious because I don't think you'll find much of a "protein" bar without the powder. Chances are, it will be significantly composed of carbs and fat. Which isn't necessary a problem, but it's hardly a "protein bar" at that point.

If you want protein in portable, solid form and you don't want to use protein powder, get some jerky, IMO. To your example, I've never seen chicken jerky but there is plenty of beef, turkey and venison jerky out there :)
  • RhineDHP
    Options
    isn't beef/turkey (or whatever) style of jerky basically a protein bar (w/ lots of salt, albeit).

I used to love beef jerky. I can't eat it anymore though because the salt content (or something) always gives me heartburn. Similar triggers are salami, bacon, some sausages and pepperoni.

Sad panda.
  • RhineDHP
    Options
    I'm not big on using protein powders either. I add in egg whites, peanut butter, chopped nuts, etc for higher protein without using powders.

I was thinking peanut butter would be a good substitute. I'll have to try adding in egg whites and nuts. Thank you for the suggestions!
  • ScottishMrs
    ScottishMrs Posts: 254 Member
    Options

I used to love beef jerky. I can't eat it anymore though because the salt content (or something) always gives me heartburn. Similar triggers are salami, bacon, some sausages and pepperoni.

Sad panda.

I'm afraid that I don't have any recipes for you, but my mom has a similar problem with those foods you listed. She suspects it's whatever they use to give it that smoked flavour. Do you have it happen with smoked chips and smoked BBQ sauces too?
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    chocolatecoveredkatie.com has some protein bar recipes, often using nuts/pb for the protein
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    They aren't going to be much of a protein bar as much of a high fat bar since you'll be using a lot of nuts / legumes.
  • FranksRumHam
    FranksRumHam Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    roll a chicken breast in granola.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Make your own jerky....control what's in it.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Here is a link to a product that is defatted peanut butter in powder form.

http://www.bellplantation.com/products.html

Let me know what you come up with. I'm allergic to whey.
  • KimmieSue2011
    KimmieSue2011 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    pb 2 is peanut butter powder -- yummy
  • Corjogo
    Corjogo Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    beans - garbanzo beans can be made "sweet" or "savory" (fava beans, edaname, just had some I made with black eyed peas for lunch. I'm sometimes lazy so I make a dip and use fruit, veggies, of crackers (lowest calorie) .
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I made jerky the other day with was really yummy! i used a thin cut of beef like snits put bbq sauce salt pepper and garlic and baked it on medium for about 3 hours! easy!