How did you get from the couch to the gym?

Options
As I was walking through the park today, there was this guy doing plyometric training on some of park equipment. And he looked like he was really having a great time! My reaction was "oh god, how can you possibly enjoy that?" but it made me think - why not me? How can I go from hating the idea of anything more than a moderate walk to doing plyometrics in the park? So I thought I'd ask you, MFP community: how did you get started? And what advice do you have for someone who would rather sit on the park bench than jump onto it repeatedly?

Replies

• RobP1192
    RobP1192 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Find your motivation and use it to amp yourself up. I know my buddy and I will do these retarded park workouts like that, when we get ready for those little mudruns. Explosive hops on picnic tables and benches. All kinds of stuff the average person would laugh at. But it just comes down to being motivated and excited, probably stating the obvious, my apologies. For me personally, i just get excited to jump up and climb stuff, lol. When i play pickup rec soccer, i'll run up and grab the frame of the soccer goal as though i were dunking a basketball. Then just hang or do a pull up. Just because. I don't know. What motivates you?
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    C4 or N.O. Xplode combined with walking or a vehicle.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I drove. Then I did it again.

There's no magic, just DO it. Then repeat. Soon, it will be a habit.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    My Car.
  • Gremlinz
    Gremlinz Posts: 3,259 Member
    Options
    Yeah, just get up and go. Then get up and go again. And again. Then, you will feel great when you go. Then, you will feel it missing when you don't.

The first week or so could be difficult, but after that... !
  • Project_Jodie
    Options
    I think it's the endorphins after the work out that makes you love it. Plus also when you start getting results from your training you want to see more. For me it's all about the routine, if I don't got to the gym I seem to forget how good I feel afterwards and then it becomes this mindset of "oh I'll go tomorrow" etc

I think also you need to find something that you enjoy, some people it's team sports, others it's a gym and for someone else it will be boot camp or swimming. Everyone is different,

For me exercise is my release, without It I tend to get grouchy, stressed and more tired. It gives me the extra energy to get through my 12 hour work days and in general makes me a happier person.

Plus the extra cals your burn will make a big difference to your weightloss goals

Honestly - you just have to start and once you start getting those endorphins going it's hard to go back to doing nothing or jhust walking
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i walked
  • kgillis87
    kgillis87 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    C4 or N.O. Xplode combined with walking or a vehicle.

Assume for a moment that I'm a complete noob, and I have no idea what any of those things are aside from walking... Which is exactly what is happening haha :)

What do you mean, exactly...?
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    My Car.

the gym is 10 miles away...i could be a bad *kitten* and run there, but i'd rather hop in the car.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    My mom drove me
  • kgillis87
    kgillis87 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Wait. I just caught on. All of you people are telling me you took your car to literally get to the gym... Bahaha! I'm actually not usually that slow, so, well played MFP. I'm sitting here thinking like "maybe vehicle and drive are synonyms for cardiovascular machines...? Is this new gym lingo? Am I that out of touch?" Thanks for making me smile :)
  • dperich1968
    dperich1968 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I started with those silly on demand exercise routines, I made myself do not less than 15mins every day, what is 15mins? I told myself that laziness was not going to win and that if I wanted to be able to stay active well into my "old" age, I HAD to move. This turned into a habit and then I decided I was going to learn how to love running. First, it was once around my block, then twice and a few more, then I found C25K and soon I was addicted. Now I run at least 4-5miles 3x a week and a long run (8-10miles) on Sunday.

Lastly, I never want anyone to look at my husband and wonder "What the h$ll does he see in her?" And IMO you should always stay sexy for your significant other, man or woman!! If you don't have a significant other, stay sexy for YOU!! Because YOU are important!! Never stop growing, never stop going up the stairs. When you do fall down those stairs, stand up, brush yourself off and start again.

Eat healthy and clean, but allow yourself an ice cream cone once in awhile. Do something you never thought you could do. Tackle a mud run or walk that 13.1 half marathon.

OK, off my soap box now.
  • chymerra
    chymerra Posts: 212
    Options
    i started working out more and harder; then i realized that i can do it; that my body is strong enough to lift weights and that made me want to do more.
  • rumplesnat
    rumplesnat Posts: 372
    Options
    I hated exercise, but I hated being morbidly obese even more.
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    For me, I started walking to maintain my sanity/for the anti-depressant effects during a rough time.

Then, I started hula hoop dancing and it got me back into dance, which I used to do from the time I was little through college and just sort of let fade out of my life. When I started hooping, I realized I couldn't practice very long without getting really tired, so I started to add running into my routine (in like 10 second bursts at first!) to improve my endurance. Then I started to notice certain tricks and techniques I was trying were really hard to do with my weak muscles, so I started working on some strength training.

For me, tying my fitness routine to a hobby I enjoy has been fantastic! If there is any sport or physical activity you are interested in, it makes a great jumping off point to get started and then cross-train to improve. Now between hooping, dancing, running and strength training I am working out all the time and I'm loving it!!
  • Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Put the exercise bike or treadmill in front of the TV - makes the time go much faster :laugh:
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Just start.
  • Linkdapink
    Linkdapink Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Round where I live there's an "outdoor gym" that I stumbled across with my Mum... I thought "wow that's a great idea!" but its in a not-very-nice part of where I live, so I probably wouldn't do that...

I workout in front of the TV... its given me more confidence to go to the gym because I'm confident that I won't keel over!
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    My SO said I wouldn't have to do certain things anymore.

That was all the motivation I needed.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    As I was walking through the park today, there was this guy doing plyometric training on some of park equipment. And he looked like he was really having a great time! My reaction was "oh god, how can you possibly enjoy that?" but it made me think - why not me? How can I go from hating the idea of anything more than a moderate walk to doing plyometrics in the park? So I thought I'd ask you, MFP community: how did you get started? And what advice do you have for someone who would rather sit on the park bench than jump onto it repeatedly?

1) wait for the zombie apocalypse
    2) try not to get eaten by zombies

zombieland_rule1_cardio.jpg