Traders Joe's is coming!! Why should I love it???! :) :)

Options
What do you LOVE about Trader Joe's?? Tell me why I will love it? Spill it Gang, I want hear all the good stuff I'll be able to purchase and all your favs. Keep in mind I know nothing at all about it, never seen one, been in one. I've been Trader Joe less:sad: :laugh:

lol It'll be new to our area so this is huge to me to hear the news! I'm so excited:love:

Ok, all I Know about Trader Joe's is what I hear on here. All I hear about it is good stuff on here! SHOCKED and amazed we are getting one, this is unheard of, they never build this far in! We finally got a Whole Food about 2 hours or so away but not exactly practical for frozen foods, ya know?

So are the prices decent? Is it totally organtic? Or? Dancing round the room in excitement!!! I even called and emailed them over the years begging, yes begging them to come our way but they said they are a West Coast Store. :sad:

Times they are a changin' YAY.

Ok, I'm ready to hear about Trader Joe's now!

Thanks my MFP Buds:flowerforyou: :wink: :bigsmile:

Becca:flowerforyou:

Replies

• RMX82
    RMX82 Posts: 172
    Options
    They have great frozen meals. I especially like the Pesto Tortellini. Great stuff. Their Chicken Fajita Burrito is amazing as well. It's a really neat organic store. Love it.

That's weird that they said they were a West Coast store. We have them in New England. Massachusetts and New Hampshire for sure, not sure about the others, but I'm sure they are there.

Enjoy!
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    two buck chuck wine haha....seriously though you just have to check it out yourself, it's hard to really explain the wonderment of trader joes. Although it is a bit pricey at times, they have unique foods and a lot of organic things there.
  • JBennis1013
    JBennis1013 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I like it because of all the foods that you may not find in regular stores. I am by no means into all that organic stuff like some people are. I just go in there and pick up misc. things. One thing that I found that is absolutely delicious are the Trader Joes - Spanakopita they are 60 calories and 2 grams of fat and oh so good. Their peanut satay sauce is great because you can use it on things like shrimp, chicken, green beans etc. Their frozen chicken breast tenderloins are also low fat for chicken that is breaded and makes a good meal. Sometimes I feel that the regular food stores don't carry these things and its awesome to find things that are low in fat and good!
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Lots of healthy organic produce and meats for cheaper than whole foods.

The best hummus! :tongue:

Lots of healthy snacks

Frozen wild fish at great prices

Frozen brown rice that takes 3 mins to cook

Bargain priced vitamins and organic teas

Always something new and exotic! :happy: Enjoy!
  • solvig
    solvig Posts: 25
    Options
    Trader Joe's overall has better pricing than a supermarket and they offer a better product. The store isn't an "organic" store so to speak, but they do have a good offering of organic foods if that is what you're after. I have so many favorites at Trader Joe's. The organic cinnamon oatmeal for breakfast is great, their organic vanilla yogurt is the best, I love that their low sodium chicken and veggie stock is actually low sodium and not just slightly but all in all still high. I just had their chipolte salsa on my tacos tonight and it gave them such a kick!

I will usually start at Trader Joe's for my shopping, then supplement at a supermarket for the other stuff that I may not be able to find there. If you want some fun, when you go there, read the labels of stuff that you would normally buy like chicken stock, canned items or jarred sauces then do the same at the supermarket and you'll see such a big difference in calories, sodium and overall ingredients. That's what makes TJ's so great. They offer great and healthy options that you just can't get at a regular store. Don't get me wrong, you can get some good old fashioned junk food there, but overall once you've had the baked cheese crunchies you'll say "Cheetos who?"

Congrats on getting a Trader Joe's and I hope you end up enjoying shopping there because every one I have been to the employees are wonderful and the stores are always kept clean and neat.
  • witchywoman13
    Options
    Trader Joes is seriously awesome! If you shop smart there, you can save a lot. For example, bread & cereal products are not only healthy, but inexpensive - whole wheat bread is about $2.50 a loaf, where as at Safeway it is almost $5.00.

My favorite is their Bay Blend coffee . . . it has the best flavor!!!!
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    What I ALWAYS get at Trader Joe's

Coffee (Organic and Fair trade beans and you can grind there if you need to)
    Frozen cubes of chopped garlic (so easy to use)
    Frozen cubes of chopped basil
    Frozen shrimp
    All natural boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    Great Pecorino Romano cheese
    Whole wheat pitas
    Great soups and stock in a box
    Yogurt - including greek
    Trader Giotto's Toscano Marinara Sauce - the best - my Italian friends LOVE it
    Outstanding beer and wine and Limoncello
    Omega Trail Mix - they have LOTS of good nuts and dried fruits
    Artichokes (usually 4-6 in a clamshell)

Can't think of more right now but they have many cereals, boxed and jar items too that I get also. You will love it - not like anything you have ever seen.
  • flwyland
    flwyland Posts: 142
    Options
    two buck chuck wine haha....

In some states (WA) it's three buck chuck. But it means I don't feel guilty about having only one or two glasses & ending up pouring the rest down the drain because it turned to vinegar.
  • workoutqueen628
    Options
    Best store ever. Cheap fruits and veggis. cheap nuts. lots of organic and healthy foods/ snacks to chose from!
  • solvig
    solvig Posts: 25
    Options
    Oh yeah, that's another reason! Their cheese section is fabulous and so much less expensive than supermarkets!!
  • greendragonfly88
    Options
    I love Trader Joe's because they have really good pre-packaged kinds of food much cheaper than whole foods or supermarket would for the same thing. I don't usually get produce there, but they have some really fabulous things like teriaki marinaded tofu or frozen vegetable burritos without cheese.
  • clwatlington
    clwatlington Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything everyone has said. I live in North Carolina and we have a few, and there is one only 25 mins from my house. 90% of the fish is caught right here in the US. Yes!, there cheese section is fabulous. I love everything about it! If you like dried fruits, they have a fantastic section. It's a great place to buy new things to try, because if you dont' like them you won't feel but so bad because it won't cost you an arm and a leg. HAPPY GROCERY SHOPPING.
  • lsand
    lsand Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    We are soon to get a Trader Joe's too! I can't wait!
  • calabrdm
    calabrdm Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Their Frozen steel cut oatmeal is cheap and awesome.

Chicken apple sausage ... yum

Triple berry muffins ........ fabulous

The best olive hummus ever....

Have fun... It is great.
  • My45Chelle
    My45Chelle Posts: 18
    Options
    I love Trader Joe's! They have great healthy snacks (Flaxseed tortilla chips, popcorn with olive oil and reduced fat cheese curls) I get all my snacks there for college football weekends with my pals. The store brand hummus is so good, the coffees and even the beauty products (Tea Tree conditioner and non-aluminum deodorant). I can't believe no one mentioned the free sample and coffee stand located at the back of the store. They always have something good and a different coffee to try, everyday! I was there today and bought my fiber filled mutli-grain bread and popcorn. The staff are also fabulous, always willing to help and to inform you about any of their products. Happy shopping! Oh yeah, the trader joe's veggie burgers are great too.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Oh i forgot to tell you that they check your eggs for you at the checkout haha....
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    Well there is not much more to say about the food, so I will talk about the service. They have wonderful and friendly employees. They are awesome and so helpful!! It is like a nice little neighborhood organic food store. Some of my favorites are:

The all natural, no aspertame, no carb, no anything diet black cherry and pomogrante diet sodas

Their lite mozerella chees sticks

Their awesome selection of fortified trail mixes. (they even have single servings with 10 in a bag) This was my new discovery last week!

Their frozen cheese and veggie pizzas are divine.

Thier turkey bacon is awesome too!! the best I have ever had. Taste more like a canadian ham. I bake mine in oven at 400 degrees for 15 min as suggestion on package.

Everything is fresh and organic! I am sure I forgot some but these or things I get there regularly for sure. I always try something new also. And so far most have been very good and repeat buys.

You will love Traders Joes!:heart::heart: :heart: Awesome chain! Whats not to love!
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    Samples...they are good and a great portion

My fiance and I went in there once just to get samples while going out to bars (its on the way...)
  • dlrcpa
    dlrcpa Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Good selection of frozen appetizers at $3-4 a box. I get 3 assorted boxes for DH and me. We make half of each box + veggies and dip for dinner sometimes - so cheap and easy, Great selection of dried fruits and trail mixes at good prices as other people have already said. I got some food goodies there for Christmas gifts last year - cocoa mix, dried fruit and so on.
  • Barberoni
    Barberoni Posts: 7
    Options
    the best Tea Tree Oil Shampoo and Conditioner!!! I wish they had Trader Joe's in UTAH. I have my sister send me stuff from the one down in AZ.