Food for thought -A different eating Disorder

Options
A commercial came on saying something about dangers of orthorexia.. Never have I heard of it so I googled it. I know a lot of people like to eat clean (no argument there I understand why)..I did not know though that some have an actual illness in regards to it.
A lot of people will joke / be arrogant etc in regards to people that have these ideas of diets. ( I have seen it first hand a dozen times on this site)
I am wondering if those that do such picking would still continue their attitude if they knew the person had an actual disorder?!? (saddens me to think they would continue, all though I am not naive enough to think they would not)

A link explaining the disorder. The most important part of it for me was the ending!
http://www.eatright.org/Public/content.aspx?id=6442471029

Replies

• KBSwinger
    KBSwinger Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    The problem is that professionals have come up with so many eating disorders that we all eat disorderly LOL. Exactly what is a eating disorder? I got one... I do intermittent fasting, I am a carb addict I love carbs I love to overeat then fast!

Sometimes I wonder if these organizations are really on our side.
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    The problem is that professionals have come up with so many eating disorders that we all eat disorderly LOL. Exactly what is a eating disorder? I got one... I do intermittent fasting, I am a carb addict I love carbs I love to overeat then fast!

LOL I do have to agree with you 100%!!! They do the same thing with kids...every other kid has autism - add - adhd etc! Drives me crazy! :(
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Doctors learn more as humans and technology develop. We are not needlessly labeling things.

We are learning things. It's human advancement.

That should not be dismissed.
  • KBSwinger
    Options
    Doctors learn more as humans and technology develop. We are not needlessly labeling things.

We are learning things. It's human advancement.

That should not be dismissed.

But the labeling is the problem just like a fat person gets depressed or whatever when they are called fat etc... Ok maybe not best example but hey its the truth. Same with "obesity" its largely a term thats used out of place sometimes and it seems all of these eating disorders either promote anorexia or obesity.
  • KBSwinger
    Options

LOL I do have to agree with you 100%!!! They do the same thing with kids...every other kid has autism - add - adhd etc! Drives me crazy! :(

^^^ THIS!
  • chasetwins
    Options
    This I understand too - it just seems like there is SOOO much labeling that it can cause some to become hypochondriacs as well :/

Disorders are real..I know and if I thought for a second someone had one..I would in no way disregard the thought (and hope I did not come across that way) but on the flip side..I also understand that some doctors (and non doctors) are too quick to judge.

Off nutrition for an example: it was suggested to me that my child had Autism and she should have more tests (ummm ha? you mean my obnoxious sweet loving playful child?? ) They tell me that she has a sign of it ( A sign??). Since when did 1 trait become an illness? And something I myself have no concern over. This is why I would agree that too many are quick to label. One trait out of 100 does not mean to me that my child has that particular disorder. Autism from what I now understand stems out so far that it becomes pretty ridiculous. Full Autism..there is NO doubt the child has something.
    Every child that is not "normal" in only god knows whose standards now is labeled as having some sort of disorder. Like the previous poster said..who decides "normal" :)
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    As far as I can tell, this is not a recognized disorder (not in the DSM). It makes for good dramatic press and is a way people can label others to judge them when feeling defensive about their own choices.

It probably rightly falls somewhere in the OCD realm for the *very* few people that have it to the point of being a true mental issue.

We are supposed to buy into the American notion that cheap food is all that matters, regardless of what it takes to make that happen (CAFOs, GMOs, hundreds of different pesticide residues found on a single piece of fruit, horrendous cruelty in the treatment of chickens and other animals, etc.) Feeling outraged by that is not a disorder, and honestly I wonder about the motives of those who want to make it such (not talking about anyone on this thread, much further upstream than that).
  • rosered93
    rosered93 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I think it's important to distinguish between disordered eating and an eating disorder. A lot of people have messed up relationships with food--it's kind of impossible to establish what is normal, in my opinion, in such a diet-focused society. But not everyone has an eating disorder.
    Personally, I believe in orthorexia as an eating disorder, as for some people the obsession with clean eating truy does negatively impact their lives. They cannot go out to eat--not they choose not to because they're enthusiastic about health-they literally cannot because they're so fearful of "the consequences". They'll avoid family gatherings, they'll think their family and friends are sabotaging them, they become completely irrational about the power of food in their lives. It's the type if obsession that often occurs in recovering anorexics--they now have to eat to gain weight but they feel there is a "right" way to do that, which is by only (!) eating healthy, "clean" foods. It's placing food on a pedestal and it truly can destroy a person.
  • chasetwins
    Options
    Gotta be honest - food disorders scare the crap outta me!! And I agree - on the lines of OCD regardless of what unhealthy relationship someone has with food.
    Reminds to be to be very careful how I talk about food / diet etc around my kids!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I think it's important to distinguish between disordered eating and an eating disorder.

Well said.
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    This I understand too - it just seems like there is SOOO much labeling that it can cause some to become hypochondriacs as well :/

Disorders are real..I know and if I thought for a second someone had one..I would in no way disregard the thought (and hope I did not come across that way) but on the flip side..I also understand that some doctors (and non doctors) are too quick to judge.

Off nutrition for an example: it was suggested to me that my child had Autism and she should have more tests (ummm ha? you mean my obnoxious sweet loving playful child?? ) They tell me that she has a sign of it ( A sign??). Since when did 1 trait become an illness? And something I myself have no concern over. This is why I would agree that too many are quick to label. One trait out of 100 does not mean to me that my child has that particular disorder. Autism from what I now understand stems out so far that it becomes pretty ridiculous. Full Autism..there is NO doubt the child has something.
    Every child that is not "normal" in only god knows whose standards now is labeled as having some sort of disorder. Like the previous poster said..who decides "normal" :)

I agree they do way too much testing on children and push them way to hard to be normal or in an acceptable range. My son was tested for autism even though he does not have it and given practically every other test known to man to determne why he has a developmental delay. He has been to a neurologist as well. Honestly, I think it is because we are dirt poor, I am fat, I had mental issues for a while after having my son, and we have not had the proper stimulation for him to grow like he needs to. He has not been challenged enough. I am so sick of doctors just diagnosing but not really getting to know their patients and finding out what is actually going on in the family and how it could get better. I hope to change that dynamic in our family over the next year or so by encouraging my husband to find work and working on losing all of this weight. We have not been able to do the activities normal families with young children do. We can barely do anything with our income so we are cramped in a very small apartment much of the time. It is not stimulating. I know my son is so smart, he is just being held back by his parents.

I feel like that about my psychiatrist as well. They just tried to label me when I was having a break and never really talked to me ever again about what really happened throughout my life to get me where I was or what really happened at the time. I finally had an appointment with a psychologist and he really talked to me and my mom. He also discovered that they had given an incorrect diagnosis because I did not fit the definition of the disorder they thought I had. When I started gaining weight last year my psychiatrist did nothing. She let me gain 100 lbs and never offered to prescribe anything to deal with the weight gain. It's like she doesn't really care. She never really got to know me. It is at a free or sliding scale community clinic so a psychiatrist that insurance covers would probably be better. I don't think medical care should just be rote care it needs to be personal as well so they get to know their patients and treat their own personal situation accurately. My counselor has kind of been the same. I am a much better writer than speaker but she has never asked me to write anything to work through issues with her. The counseling sessions never really go anywhere. She says I am fine or gives a fairly shallow response, sorry to say.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that orthorexia honestly doesn't sound like it would be a bad thing (its a disorder to eat super healthy?). BUT I think that if anything is causing you unnecessary anxiety and conflicting with other things in your everyday life in a negative way (or damaging your quality of life) then it could possibly be a problem. I could also see this as a problem for people with OCD or anxiety disorder but for the average person this disorder sounds a little ridiculous.
  • chasetwins
    Options

I agree they do way too much testing on children and push them way to hard to be normal or in an acceptable range. My son was tested for autism even though he does not have it and given practically every other test known to man to determne why he has a developmental delay. He has been to a neurologist as well. Honestly, I think it is because we are dirt poor, I am fat, I had mental issues for a while after having my son, and we have not had the proper stimulation for him to grow like he needs to. He has not been challenged enough. I am so sick of doctors just diagnosing but not really getting to know their patients and finding out what is actually going on in the family and how it could get better. I hope to change that dynamic in our family over the next year or so by encouraging my husband to find work and working on losing all of this weight. We have not been able to do the activities normal families with young children do. We can barely do anything with our income so we are cramped in a very small apartment much of the time. It is not stimulating. I know my son is so smart, he is just being held back by his parents.

I feel like that about my psychiatrist as well. They just tried to label me when I was having a break and never really talked to me ever again about what really happened throughout my life to get me where I was or what really happened at the time. I finally had an appointment with a psychologist and he really talked to me and my mom. He also discovered that they had given an incorrect diagnosis because I did not fit the definition of the disorder they thought I had. When I started gaining weight last year my psychiatrist did nothing. She let me gain 100 lbs and never offered to prescribe anything to deal with the weight gain. It's like she doesn't really care. She never really got to know me. It is at a free or sliding scale community clinic so a psychiatrist that insurance covers would probably be better. I don't think medical care should just be rote care it needs to be personal as well so they get to know their patients and treat their own personal situation accurately. My counselor has kind of been the same. I am a much better writer than speaker but she has never asked me to write anything to work through issues with her. The counseling sessions never really go anywhere. She says I am fine or gives a fairly shallow response, sorry to say.

:( I am so sorry!! Sadly all this happens on a daily basis! Money talks..I processed payroll for a couple hospitals years ago and was disgusted at how much they make compared to how long they actually sat with each patient. Finding a great doctor is more daunting than finding childcare!

I refused the testing for my daughter! If she had multiple signs or things that caused me concern I would of been all over it. However having one sign (btw the sign was she fidgets too much...this is what caused them concern) is not enough to make me put her through a 100 tests. She does well in school - is behind a little in reading but is great everywhere else. So I am not worried.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options

Just a suggestion about the counselor. If you need something from her or have a suggestion or concern about your treatment have you brought it up? Like you said you are a much better writer than speaker, have you mentioned that to her and expressed that you would like a written assignment? Counselors can't read minds so it helps to bring up these kinds of concerns. Also sometimes we think the counselor or professional is going to fix everything when sometimes it is up to the individual to change their own destiny so to speak. Just meaning that the counselor typically can help you formulate goals and give you a new perspective on a situation but they can't fix everything in an instant. Not saying thats what you think but sometimes people can feel that way.