Did any of you wake up one day and say enough is enough?

Options
I've been a MFP member for a few years and have sporadically tracked my food and exercise, but never really committed to getting healthy. There was always a 'barrier' that prevented me from staying on track. I'd often think, "If only I could tackle this [challenge, work project, excuse, excuse, excuse], then I'll be able to dedicate to the time I need to get healthy." Can anyone relate?

Those excuses translated into a 50 lb weight gain over five years, depression, and bad habits like smoking (I quit about three months ago). I recently went out for lunch and saw a former co-worker, who looked shocked and said, "Wow, I barely recognized you!" I can't possibly think that was a positive comment. I barely recognize myself these days.

So, last Monday night, I packed my work-out clothes and made the decision. It would be Tuesday evening Bikram yoga or bust. I attended my first class, then my second the following evening. I've also spent some time on my stationary bike and walk whenever I have a spare 15 minutes.

I'm still learning how to make the right choices and have realized that it all comes down to one meal at a time, one workout a time. I haven't had a perfect first week back on the weight-loss wagon but every morning I wake up with hope. I'm in charge of my life. I'm in charge of my decisions. And, for the first time, I'm taking charge of my health.

If anyone would like to join me on this journey, I'd welcome and encourage friend requests from fellow MFP members. Let's do this together!

Replies

• urbexx
    urbexx Posts: 4
    Options
    For me, it was more of a rolling week long thing, than a single moment where the light bulb finally went on, lol.

Yep, made excuse after excuse after excuse for years. Always felt like if I didn't have several hours a day to dedicate, it just wasn't gonna happen. If that didn't cut it (like when I was unemployed), I'd use money as an excuse - "I can't afford to eat better than Taco Bell and ramen!"

Funny part - I've since realized it's cheaper for me to munch on those "expensive" veggies than the "cheap" fast food, because it takes a far smaller amount of the good stuff to fill me up.

For me though, I'm starting the exercise at home - figure it'll be a lot harder to make excuses when I'm sitting on my butt at home, and the exercise DVDs are right in front of me, as opposed to saying "I don't feel like going out and dealing with traffic", or "I could save money by not paying for this fitness stuff!" :P
  • lhastings68
    Options
    Hi,

I came to the harsh reality of my weight gain last night. I don't want to be heavy, I still feel like a skinny woman inside a fat woman's body. It totally sucks.
    I decided last night that I am going to succeed in losing weight. I am going to take it hour by hour if I have to. It takes support from family and friends and I will need that. My boyfriend told me that he no longer finds me desireable because of the way I look. That really hurt.. I want to do this for me, and not for him. My goal is to lose 50 pounds. These first few days are going to kill me, because it is about this time of day when I want a snack. I have to retrain myself on eating.. ughhhh.
  • kckBxer396
    kckBxer396 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I have been borderline diabetic since I was 12,but I was always thin,except for my hips.It's just hereditary. As a teenager, I was very active,and in shape. 5 years ago, I moved away from home,and I put on a little weight, I didn't think anything about it,and just went on with my life. Now, I am 60 pounds and 9 pants sizes larger. Where did it all come from!? I went to the doctor yesterday for a checkup and discovered that, despite my wishy washy attempts to lose weight, I have gained 20 pounds in the last year! Year before last, I gained around 20. That's 40 pounds in 2 years,and 60 pounds in 5! My doctor actually suggested this website and said she lost 100 pounds with her efforts. I'm embarrassed to see my family, anyone that used to be a friend, any old acquaintances. I hate going places,or having company because I am so uncomfortable with myself. Shopping for clothes is an absolute nightmare. I am with you on this. Enough is enough!
  • kckBxer396
    kckBxer396 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I came to the harsh reality of my weight gain last night. I don't want to be heavy, I still feel like a skinny woman inside a fat woman's body. It totally sucks.
    I decided last night that I am going to succeed in losing weight. I am going to take it hour by hour if I have to. It takes support from family and friends and I will need that. My boyfriend told me that he no longer finds me desireable because of the way I look. That really hurt.. I want to do this for me, and not for him. My goal is to lose 50 pounds. These first few days are going to kill me, because it is about this time of day when I want a snack. I have to retrain myself on eating.. ughhhh.

He shouldn't just desire the way you look. If you matter, he should care for the person that you are. That's what relationships are about, more than face value. Also, good for you to lose it for yourself. That is the only person you should do it for! I know what you mean about snacking. I just try to have an apple or celery and peanut butter. I hate celery,but it gets the job done. Also, I try to keep sugar free gum or little hard candies around to try to curb my snacking.
  • rhogr000
    rhogr000 Posts: 126
    Options
    Hi,

Allow me to offer some advice:

It's important to view this whole endeavor not as a "diet" or "weight loss"...but as a whole new lifestyle. Just replace your old, bad lifestyle with this new, healthy lifestyle. That way, it won't feel like a time sink or chore, and you won't view it as a temporary fix.

It'll take some willpower, but just commit yourself to a healthy lifestyle (sans all the gimmicks) and over time it'll become easier.

I used to be a fat fatty...still am to an extent...but I've committed to living a healthy lifestyle. I don't stress over it, I just do it. It now comes as naturally to me as any other daily activity. I'm down about 35 lbs at this point, but I still have at least another 50 that I want to shed to be at my ideal weight.

Don't stress, don't give into gimmicks...just commit to live a healthy lifestyle and follow through with it. It'll be second-nature in no time.
  • tinethebean2
    tinethebean2 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I've been on this journey for a year now but I was the same as you one morning I thought enough is enough after giving up the *kitten* demon things I put 19 lb on so when my husband went away for 6 months I decided to do something as a surprise when he got back he knew I was losing weight but not how much but was very shocked to come back to me 5 st lighter but kept me focused finding it harder now he's home but I just keep going ill get there in time I just look back at how well I've done and that I haven't gained well to much anyway lol but feel free to add me anyone always good to have support xx
  • hdyanneh
    hdyanneh Posts: 39
    Options
    My recent moment came this past weekend when I was looking at pictures of my lil ones last scout outing. I caught a glimpse of myself in one of the pictures and thought. OMG. This has to be embarrassing to him. Hes 9. I was also embarassed for myself for allowing this to happen. I honestly did not know how I looked. In the mirror I didnt see myself that way but a picture cant lie, I must have a very kind mirror.

I don't want to look like I did in that pic. I am going to print it and keep it visible for when I need a boost in motivation. That pic does not represent how I feel inside or who I want to be. Ive got two boys and I want to be around to see them grow up and I want to set a better example.
  • positivelypeachy
    positivelypeachy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm embarrassed to see my family, anyone that used to be a friend, any old acquaintances. I hate going places,or having company because I am so uncomfortable with myself. Shopping for clothes is an absolute nightmare. I am with you on this. Enough is enough!

This all sounds very much like my situation. I avoid seeing anyone I haven't seen recently and I'm on the cusp of no longer fitting regular sizes - enough is definitely enough!
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    YEAH I ****EN RIPPED THRU 2 PAIRS OF PANTS I GOT THE RUNS FROM HOLDING MY DISGUSTING STOMACH IN IN ALL SOCIAL SITUATIONS...I WAS NEARLY SUICIDALLY DEPRESSED FOR 5 YEARS....AND THEN I WAS DELIVERED I WAS SAVED AND ENLIGHTENED:) IT TAKES THE BOTTOM... IT REALLY DOES!!!
    KRISTIAN ROCCO
  • positivelypeachy
    Options
    I was also embarassed for myself for allowing this to happen.

I can relate so closely to this but I try not to dwell on that shame. Instead, I let myself feel proud for making the decision to improve my health and use that as a motivator. I wonder if using a past photo of you - one you're proud of - will provide a positive source of motivation? I haven't tried it, but it's an idea.
  • positivelypeachy
    Options
    Don't stress, don't give into gimmicks...just commit to live a healthy lifestyle and follow through with it. It'll be second-nature in no time.

I love this advice. Thanks so much for sharing.
  • positivelypeachy
    Options
    Hi
    I've been on this journey for a year now but I was the same as you one morning I thought enough is enough after giving up the *kitten* demon things I put 19 lb on so when my husband went away for 6 months I decided to do something as a surprise when he got back he knew I was losing weight but not how much but was very shocked to come back to me 5 st lighter but kept me focused finding it harder now he's home but I just keep going ill get there in time I just look back at how well I've done and that I haven't gained well to much anyway lol but feel free to add me anyone always good to have support xx

Congrats to you! Keep going!
  • positivelypeachy
    Options
    Hi,

He shouldn't just desire the way you look. If you matter, he should care for the person that you are. That's what relationships are about, more than face value. Also, good for you to lose it for yourself. That is the only person you should do it for! I know what you mean about snacking. I just try to have an apple or celery and peanut butter. I hate celery,but it gets the job done. Also, I try to keep sugar free gum or little hard candies around to try to curb my snacking.

My sentiments exactly re: your relationship. Do this for yourself - to be healthy, to be happy.

I like the sugar-free gum idea, as well as the apple/celery+peanut butter. The protein and crunch will help you feel satisfied. I haven't always made the right decisions when it comes to afternoon snacking but I find it's way worse for me when I avoid snacking altogether, and I end up at the drive-thru on my way home from work. I try to keep healthy snacks handy, and drink plenty of water throughout the day. I find it amazing how much stronger the cravings are when I'm dehydrated.
  • Alafia22
    Alafia22 Posts: 112
    Options
    That is exactly what happened to me. I just woke up one morning and got tired of looking at my unhealthy looking body. So I got a gym membership and each day I ask myself "What have I done for my body today?" Remember it's a marathon, not a sprint. We can DO this!
  • shirleydegrave
    shirleydegrave Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    love your attitude! found this encouraging, and truly ready to do this!!! thanks!!:wink:
  • Tomhoffman84
    Options
    My moment came on Oct 30, 2007... I remember that date so well because I went to get on a roller coaster at Six Flags and could not pull the shoulder guard down. I had to move to row 7...the row for "larger proportioned people."

I was so embarassed and sick with myself, I started working out the next day, and just kept on going...

All change is self-change, it often requires us to get fed up with ourselves in one way or another to motivate that change, seems like you are there so best of luck and enjoy the journey. Remember, its a lifestyle change, not a diet!
  • positivelypeachy
    Options
    My moment came on Oct 30, 2007... I remember that date so well because I went to get on a roller coaster at Six Flags and could not pull the shoulder guard down. I had to move to row 7...the row for "larger proportioned people."

I was so embarassed and sick with myself, I started working out the next day, and just kept on going...

All change is self-change, it often requires us to get fed up with ourselves in one way or another to motivate that change, seems like you are there so best of luck and enjoy the journey. Remember, its a lifestyle change, not a diet!

Amazing - thanks for sharing your story! So motivating.
    All change is self-change

That phrase is so true... I may have to 'borrow' it. :-)
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Why no eating? Don't you have any veggies in the house?
  • Tomhoffman84
    Options
    I agree with the post above...the absolute best advice I can give you is EAT!

Eat things you like, eat snacks between meals, its not about starving yourself. Make healthy food choices, skip the butter, salt, start measuring your food with a food scale, track your calories, etc. Most importantly, start to work out, earn those extra calories so you don't have to starve yourself.

Check my food diary...I eat ice cream or frozen yogurt almost every day! But I also burn between 400-1000 calories a day with working out, so it lets me earn the indulgences.

Don't diet, change your lifestyle, you'll be so much happier and will be able to sustain the gains.