What keeps you motivated?

Options
i always start off really well but fizzle out in a few weeks. I need advice on how to stay motivated.

Replies

• stagingfirstplace
    stagingfirstplace Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    a routine, consistency and persistance no matter what your mind tells you, tell it different.
  • hayleysuel
    hayleysuel Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Try to have a long term goal; something you can look forward to a few months from now.

A cute Halloween costume, a new dress for 4th of July, a sexy new years eve outfit.

My goal is Thankgiving in Las Vegas.. I want to look HOT! I have a picture of my husband & I on Thanksgiving last year as my desktop background as motivation to look better this year! :)

Good luck finding your own motivation! You can do it! :)
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I do. Nobody else can. My hubby, family and friends are supportive, but in the end, the only one who can motivate me is me, because I'm the one doing it.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Success motivates me..... mine and others.

But, TBH, after nearly a year of working on my weight, it's become a habit.
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Go to a clothing store and get in the dressing room. Strip to your undies and look at your butt in the all around mirrors.

That motivates the He!! out of me! :laugh:
  • sajeffe
    sajeffe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Fear seems to be a good motivator for me. Fear of Type-II Diabetes. Fear of hypertension. Both run in my family. And I never had a weight problem until I quit smoking - and hit middle-age. I didn't mind gaining at first because I had a history of never being able to gain weight before. But a month ago, I was shocked by the fact that I was "suddenly" overweight. My doctors aren't concerned (stopping smoking was more important to them). I decided it was time to do something. I've lost 8 pounds in 4 weeks and that helps keep me motivated too.

***Knowledge is also a good motivator. Vanderbilt University has a free online course in nutrition starting in 5 days through Coursera: https://www.coursera.org/course/lifenutr (Stanford also has one about nutrition for kids starting the same time.)
  • trekkietaz
    Options
    I don't want to be fat again I loss 107lbs and I am Happy so I don't want to get that big again
  • dough21
    dough21 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Progress, Self Esteem/Confidence & How I feel after exercise.
  • Proyecto_AN
    Proyecto_AN Posts: 387
    Options
    My augmented sex drive and more money.
  • judtod
    judtod Posts: 85
    Options
    Health.
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Different things.

When physical tasks get easier I notice and something that remains hard becomes my motivation until I succeed at that.

Currently dropping clothes sizes motivates me. I just recently got out of plus-sized clothes and since I am so short I can now do petite things. That motivates me.

My friends successes... no matter how small. I get excited to see other people hit milestones and reach goals. However, this on it's own would never motivate me if I didn't already have my own motivation.

Getting a bump in calories does occasionally motivate me to exercise more.

Finally, 9 times out of 10 when I have no motivation I get up and do it anyway but I'm certainly not perfect and that doesn't always happen.

ETA: Old, fat pictures of myself motivate me!
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I wanna have visible abs at least once in my life.
  • mkoff32
    mkoff32 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm with Hayley. A goal. My current goal is to complete a 5k. After that, a 10k. And so on, and so forth. When I'm thinking about quitting, I picture myself crossing the finish line and I dig deep.
  • supbanana
    supbanana Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Between March and July 2012 I whooshed off 50 pounds, which was all the motivation I needed. My trouble came when I stalled between July 2012 and March 2013. That's a long freaking time to be dieting and doing everything 'right' and not seeing any results. People kept telling me that I had great willpower or dedication or whatever to stick with it, but honestly the ketogenic (low carb) diet I was on really improved my health - cleared up my acne, no bloating, stronger teeth, etc. I stuck with it because I was clearly healthier and I just felt better, even if I wasn't losing weight. Everytime I cheated I would break out in acne which was enough of a motivator to stick to my actual diet.

Other than that, I have a picture of me from when I was 13 - the last time I weighed less than 200 pounds. That picture keeps me going. I have no idea what I'll look like under 200lbs but the excitement of finding out is very motivating!