Breakfast BLAH!

Options
wensac
wensac Posts: 4 Member
Hi All

SO, is breakfast REALLY that important??? I really struggle with breaky. I just found some "pre made" oats that I have actually been able to eat and have discovered that its loaded with sugar!!!! Grrr. Any hints or tips for something easy, tasty and healthy? or is that not possible.

:ohwell:

Replies

• Cocozest
    Cocozest Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I think breakfast really helps the body's metabolism and can also help supress hunger in the afternoon. I find i don't eat as much for lunch when i have breakfast and I definitely feel more energetic. I don't really like time consuming meals in the morning so i'll either have 1 serving of fruit like a banana or an apple with some tea.

Some days i feel like having bran buds with dried cranberries and sliced bananas. It's very filling and easy to make.
  • wensac
    Options
    MMM fruit, just plain old fruit. Will give it a go!
  • CJDaniel7
    CJDaniel7 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Maybe some low fat yogurt with fresh fruit (bananas, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries) some toasted almonds or pecans.
    I personally am eating Almond milk yogurt with the fruit above or maybe a small scoop of granola (ounce)

Maybe a low sugar shake like Vega One, that is filled with vitamins.
    I found several low sugar, low carb, organic cereals that I love from Trader Joes (Natures Path)
    I don't add sugar to cereal, maybe some fruit or a few raisins.
  • blackgold86
    blackgold86 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Read this article the other day. Eating my breaky a little bit later... If hormones are involved, I'll give it a shot.

http://www.dangerouslyhardcore.com/5084/why-breakfast-is-nothing-but-a-scam/
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to eat breakfast, don't. I don't' eat breakfast half the time and I'm doing fine. As long as you are hitting your calorie goal and macros, it'll be fine.
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    If you don't run your diet... your diet will run you... to some fast food joint.
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Eat when you're hungry. But if it's the foods you are having trouble with, just eat leftovers. No rules saying you have to eat eggs or oatmeal. You can just eat the healthy foods you normally eat during the day.
  • RadioactivePirate
    Options
    So the commercial goes "Studies show that women who eat breakfast tend to weigh less"....

Note that studies DON'T say that women who don't naturally feel hungry in the morning but force themselves to eat breakfast anyway lose weight. They want you to draw this conclusion from the statement, but that is not something that has actually been proven. Correlation does not imply causation, as they say. Just because people who eat breakfast tend to weigh less doesn't mean that eating breakfast will MAKE you weigh less.

I say if it doesn't suit you to eat breakfast and it doesn't make you binge later in the day, just do what feels right for you.
  • aronao
    aronao Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat anything before 10.30am. I have a latte and that's it until then. I found that if I DO eat, I'm actually more hungry throughout the day.

If it's breakfast foods you are having problems with, just eat something healthy and filling, doesn't matter what or if it's a traditional breakfast food or not.
  • wensac
    Options
    Tanks for all your tips and advise. All taken on board!
  • hayleysuel
    hayleysuel Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is really important althought I personally don't have much of an appetite in the A.M. I really like the EAS protein shakes! Easy & nutritious!
  • stagingfirstplace
    stagingfirstplace Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    just have a cup of coffee upon waking and eat a few hours later! nothin wrong with that!

i eat steak for brekkie when i eat it ha
  • emarose90
    emarose90 Posts: 52
    Options
    Agree with the other posters - eat when you are hungry!

I get up around 7.30am but don't eat until around 10-10.30am. If I force myself to eat before then I actually find myself hungrier for the rest of the day! Probably more of a mind thing but eating around 10am suits me fine until lunch around 1pm.

Breakfast is generally a helping of greek or natural yoghurt, honey drizzled over, and berries or banana on top, then a handful of almonds after. Yummy.
  • ChloeRoseLejeune
    Options
    I used to be able to name every nut that there was. And it used to drive my mother crazy, because she used to say, "Harlan Pepper, if you don't stop naming nuts," and the joke was that we lived in Pine Nut, and I think that's what put it in my mind at that point. So she would hear me in the other room, and she'd just start yelling. I'd say, "Peanut. Hazelnut. Cashew nut. Macadamia nut." That was the one that would send her into going crazy. She'd say, "Would you stop naming nuts!" And Hubert used to be able to make the sound, he couldn't talk, but he'd go "rrrawr rrawr" and that sounded like Macadamia nut. Pine nut, which is a nut, but it's also the name of a town. Pistachio nut. Red pistachio nut. Natural, all natural white pistachio nut.
  • Rarity2013
    Rarity2013 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    So the commercial goes "Studies show that women who eat breakfast tend to weigh less"....

Note that studies DON'T say that women who don't naturally feel hungry in the morning but force themselves to eat breakfast anyway lose weight. They want you to draw this conclusion from the statement, but that is not something that has actually been proven. Correlation does not imply causation, as they say. Just because people who eat breakfast tend to weigh less doesn't mean that eating breakfast will MAKE you weigh less.

I say if it doesn't suit you to eat breakfast and it doesn't make you binge later in the day, just do what feels right for you.

I agree with this knowledgeable person. Breakfast works for the majority of people because they are either hungry when they wake up or will be hungry within a few hours of waking up.

I am rarely either of those things. I have one or two cups of coffee and have my first meal of the day around lunchtime, when I actually start to feel hungry. If anything, I find eating breakfast makes me more likely to snack, which I wouldn't normally do without it.
  • broncosbabe
    broncosbabe Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Maybe try having some hard boiled eggs in the fridge ready to go. They keep for a few days if you refrigerate them immediately after boiling and don't shell them until you're ready to eat them.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Some days I eat breakfast, some days I don't. I usually keep it pretty light if I eat before work, like a banana or small muffin / handful of nuts. At work lately I've been stashing a bag of sunflower nuts in my cubby to nom on, but I also like dry cereal, beef jerky, or yogurt. Anything with a good source of protein is good in my book, regardless of sugar content.
  • TwinMumCork
    TwinMumCork Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have to say I love porridge/oatmeal with flaxseed and some fruit on top strawberries are the nicest , but pear, blueberries etc are good too. Or even a small tub of fruit cocktail or tinned peaches can be nice too.

I used to hate porridge/oatmeal and now I miss it on the days I don't have it.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Muesli with natural yoghurt and chopped banana (lot of bang for your buck..... takes you through to lunch easily)

Peanut Butter on toast (seems small and easy to eat if you're not a big food fan in the morning)

Scrambled eggs/Soft boiled eggs/Poached eggs on toast (High protein, good fats - keeps hunger at bay till lunch)
  • AbnormalYak
    AbnormalYak Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    By logging my food on MFP I found that I was eating too many carbs and not enough protein, so I've switched my breakfast cereal for a poached egg and 2 grilled bacon medallions, which is back bacon with all the fatty bits taken off and just the big round lean meaty bit. That with a cup of coffee is my breakfast every day now. It's only 123 calories for the lot but what I like best about it is that it doesn't feel like diet food. I can't stick to carrot sticks and rice crackers and apples and diet-y food for long, I crave real food and I end up bingeing on pies and pizza. But bacon and eggs and coffee for breakfast is delicious, you feel like you've had a proper breakfast.