best way to work abs

Options
Am trying to lose 48 pounds of weight and jogging nearly every day, but would really like to target my abdominal area. Should I simply do crunches or is there a machine I could use? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• melaniedelgrosso
    Options
    I've really been enjoying the workouts available on You Tube. I think the "Fitness Blenders" workouts (just type that into the search) are really great, and they have several ab workouts (circuit of exercises), even one with standing exercises, no mat work. I usually do those after cardio, like after 30 minutes of brisk walking.

I try to work my abs out in some way every day, and not just with crunches. To really target your abs, you need to work several of those muscles (I think there are six total including lower abs, obliques), and so those circuit-type videos are nice because they provide a variety of exercises that target all of your muscles. I think Jillian says that the bicycle crunches target several at once so those are probably good if you only have time for one exercise.

Also, pilates (in my opinion) is an excellent exercise for working your abs because the movements should originate from your core. A favorite of mine for that is Denise Austin's Power Pilates, which is a 20 minute workout (she also works out your arms and legs but the core workout really leaves you sore at first). You can also get that one on You Tube.
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Crunches and machines are not the way. Look up planks, side planks and other stabilization exercises.
    Pilates and yoga also can be very beneficial as suggested
  • fight_for_fit
    fight_for_fit Posts: 137
    Options
    Whenever you do any strength training just make sure to engage your core. You won't even have to use any machine to tighten up the abdominal area. But also remember "abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym"
  • mstrickland9
    mstrickland9 Posts: 102
    Options
    Thanks guys. I just started on here three weeks ago and still learning about different exercises.
  • wnbrice
    wnbrice Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Holding a crunch and basically doing anything with your legs will blow your abs up