I need advice ladies please!!!

Options
Ok i'm having a hard night...i've been doing really well with doing 30day Shred every night with my hubby along with working out during the day...but I started my period tonite and i couldn't make it through the 30min workout....should i try again tomorrow night or let my body rest during this time of the month?

Replies

• cajrowles
    cajrowles Posts: 3
    Options
    Every once in awhile the body needs a rest day. Perhaps today was it. Try tomorrow and don't let your period get in the way.
  • Jesusfollower72
    Options
    See how you feel tomorrow. Make sure you get at least 7 hours of sleep and drinks lots of water.
  • bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I would exercise anyway but maybe the shred is too difficult for you right now. At least go walking or something to get moving:)
  • erika1223
    erika1223 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are gettting enough iron, either through diet or supplement. I usually find exercise helps with cramps and bloating, but I usually stick to things like yoga and cardio. All the same everybody is different and if it's too much you should listen to your body.
  • lisacarole
    lisacarole Posts: 11
    Options
    My trainer says to listen to your body. If you're tired, you are at greater risk for injury when exercising. Rest, relax and recharge. :smile:
  • hawaiibound
    hawaiibound Posts: 158
    Options
    i litterally threw my weights down and said "i'm done" my husband looked at me and just kept going lol...i felt like such a slacker for not finishing!
  • DarlinNiki
    Options
    I do that too... So I still do some exercise but I don't beet myself up if I can't do it all. I do what I can... usually on those days I do the bike or treadmill. 15 to 20 min is worth something! Keep it up... just don't let urself completly off the hook. and working out always helps my cramps! :wink:
  • Kaneesha
    Kaneesha Posts: 1
    Options
    During that time of the month you jus feel like BLAHHHHH! So taking a break tonite is what your body needs. But try to get back in the swing of things tomarrow because to much time off will set you back.
  • tn2010
    tn2010 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I just had the same problem. I took the day off and got back at it the next day. I felt much better! I'm trying to avoid taking rest days as the Shred is often all I have time for, but I was in a better place after a much needed pity party for myself!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    i litterally threw my weights down and said "i'm done" my husband looked at me and just kept going lol...i felt like such a slacker for not finishing!

Um, yeah, that's because he doesn't have to deal with it! (sorry, having an "I wish men had to deal with PMS" type month here)

I usually give myself a break for a couple of days if I feel really bad. That doesn't mean I stop exercising completely, but I will definitely slow it down, do something easier or even take a day completely off if needed. I'm not sure how 30-day-shred is supposed to work.... but I'm pretty sure that extending it to 32 or 33 days isn't going to hurt the process too much!
  • MissAmandax
    Options
    I'd say give yourself a rest, and see how you're feeling tomorrow. It's okay to take a rest.

By the way, how are you liking the 30 day shred? I was thinking about ordering it online.. I've done Jilian's biggest loser Dvd's, does the 30 day shred really get you toned??
  • dawn_eichert
    dawn_eichert Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    as others have said, listen to your body and give your body and yourself break. It doesn't mean you have failed in anyway. There will always be times when our bodies just aren't up to it. I had it tonight with my knee and while I didn't allow it to keep me from doing my video, I did however modify it to keep the stress off it. See how you feel tomorrow and its OK to do some other type of activity for day or two. Relax...it is all good.
  • diet45
    diet45 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    It seems like your body is telling you it needs a rest day. I started doing the 30 Day Shred and about killed myself. I now do it every other day, but still do my elliptical everyday along with swimming this summer. Some people rest from all exercise, but I'm too hungry eating only the 1200 calories those days, so I something for 20-30 minutes!!! Feel better soon!!
  • GuamMom
    GuamMom Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Rest don't be so hard on yourself!
  • hannah_lin
    hannah_lin Posts: 54
    Options
    I always let myself take 2 days off (w/dieting and exercising) during my period-- then when it's started to chill a bit I get back into it. Don't beat yourself up too much about it. :)
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna be the hard *kitten*, here. Period smeriod. Don't give up! Unless you have exsanguinated, there is no reason you can't work out on your period. Take some motrin and keep on trucking. Most of the time it is purely psychological, and if you push through it you'll feel much better. I have given up before and regretted it. Never again, even if my intensity isn't as great I will finish the workout I've started.

Now I will sometimes schedule my rest day for the worst part of it, but it is not impossible to work out during your menses. To say anything else is to suggest we are less capable than men.
  • creativefrugalmom
    creativefrugalmom Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna be the hard *kitten*, here. Period smeriod. Don't give up! Unless you have exsanguinated, there is no reason you can't work out on your period. Take some motrin and keep on trucking. Most of the time it is purely psychological, and if you push through it you'll feel much better. I have given up before and regretted it. Never again, even if my intensity isn't as great I will finish the workout I've started.

Now I will sometimes schedule my rest day for the worst part of it, but it is not impossible to work out during your menses. To say anything else is to suggest we are less capable than men.

I agree. I can't let it control me, I have to control it. The only issue I have is bloating and no weight loss, which usually reflect big after that week. Always makes me feel good in the end to see those numbers. I actually have always had a tough time with cramps, etc. but now that I have begun working out, it makes me feel better.
  • creativefrugalmom
    creativefrugalmom Posts: 267 Member
    Options

At least he didn't "preach" to you, he just looked at you. Don't feel like a slacker. Today is a new day. Get back on and keep going. You can do it. It's OK to rest every now and then. Just listen to your body, but I wouldn't take the whole cycle off because for me that would just be a set back from everything I have worked for the other 3 weeks.
  • leavinglasvegas
    leavinglasvegas Posts: 1,495
    Options
    I'm going to agree with the listen to your body crew.

PMS is a very traumatic time for the female body. This is a natural time for rest. That doesn't mean you should grab a bag of tater chips and veg in front of a True Blood matrathon, No. But its pefectly normal to switch up your routine for some lighter exercise. Walking, yoga.... Yoga is AWESOME for PMS and a great workout at that. Or just plain take an all day nap. Why not?

Its only once per month anyways. And just one day at that. Next month, switch up so that your rest day falls during your period. Then you won't feel so bad.
  • atynk
    atynk Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I am going to agree with the others that said don't let your period be a reason not to. I get the worst cramps possibly, plus I feel like I have zero energy when I get my time of month, so I will give myself 1 day off maybe, but the next day back at it.. I actually end up feeling better after I workout ( i have heard it helps with cramps). Most of the time I have to drop my weights down because I dont' have the same strength but I still get through it... I like to think of my period as a competition... try to be extra good on it, so when its all done, you will have lost weight on it !! what better way to end it!