Maintenance calories and exercise

Options
Okay, I have searched the previous posts but can't find the answer to my exact question so I hope that anyone with patience will be kind enough to answer this for me.

I have lost the weight I wanted using the MFP calories (1200) and eating back exercise calories. I had it set at sedentary though I exercise nearly every day (trail running, biking, walking, etc). I just wanted to feel like I could eat more if I worked harder.

I put myself on maintenance calories last week (still at sedentary) and lost another pound-ish. At 110 now I really don't think losing more is the best idea but am confused about adding the "lightly active" option.

My question is this...if I add the "lightly active option" do I no longer eat my calories back? It has given me 1440 (5'4, 110lbs) for sedentary and about 1600 if I choose lightly active. As I frequently burn 300-400 on a run/cycle I would generally be inclined to eat them back.

Can anyone help me and make it clear?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    It depends how active you are in your daily life, not including your running, biking etc. The rest of the time are you mostly sitting at a desk? Or do you walk around a fair bit too? If you choose to include all that exercise in your activity level, (and therefore not eat exercise calories back) chances are you would be more than lightly active anyway.

The real answer will only be found by experimenting. Online calculators (including MFP) can give you a general idea of how much you should eat at maintenance, but you'll only know for sure when you eat at a certain level for a period of time and find that you're not losing or gaining. I would start with what you're eating now and add 100-200 calories each week to your daily intake. If you gain, it's probably water/food weight so just leave it at that level for a week or so to let the fluctuations settle. Then, increase again. You might find you lose a little more, so just increase until you stop losing.
  • dianamatienzo
    Options
    I agree with the previous answer :) Playing with it will definitely be the way to find out. We are all different and I wouldn't be able to tell you what'll work for you. Just make small changes; anything drastic would be bad. Congrats on reaching your goal weight!!!! :D
  • TheYoungys
    TheYoungys Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I am fairly sedentary for the rest of the day as I am a student and often chained to the computer. The only exercise I ever add in is the amount I do intentionally. The laundry, dog walking, etc I never add.

I take your point about adding a bit at a time. I think I am just frightened to put on any weight as I beat myself up about it. I know it is wrong but sadly I'm a little obsessive about it.
  • SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I would keep lifestyle as normal eg if you are light active that is what you are

eat the cals you earn
    add cals extra a little bit each week until you stay the same

good luck

anyone can add me
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    My question is this...if I add the "lightly active option" do I no longer eat my calories back? Can anyone help me and make it clear?

Thanks in advance!

You still eat the calories back. Activity level on MFP is different than exercise. It refers to your general activity level on a day to day basis. Exercise calories should be eaten back because exercise is extra, dedicated physical activity beyond your day to day activities - day to day activities being chores and work, etc. (I've been on maintenance for 2 years.)
  • TheYoungys
    Options
    So just to clarify:

If I change to Lightly Active I SHOULD also eat back exercise calories? Sorry for seeming dense but I want to get it right. :-)

Thanks all!

(sorry replied before I had read last post)
  • TheYoungys
    Options
    My question is this...if I add the "lightly active option" do I no longer eat my calories back? Can anyone help me and make it clear?

Thanks in advance!

You still eat the calories back. Activity level on MFP is different than exercise. It refers to your general activity level on a day to day basis. Exercise calories should be eaten back because exercise is extra, dedicated physical activity beyond your day to day activities - day to day activities being chores and work, etc. (I've been on maintenance for 2 years.)

Just saw this. Thanks very much for the clarity! :-)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Okay, I have searched the previous posts but can't find the answer to my exact question so I hope that anyone with patience will be kind enough to answer this for me.

I have lost the weight I wanted using the MFP calories (1200) and eating back exercise calories. I had it set at sedentary though I exercise nearly every day (trail running, biking, walking, etc). I just wanted to feel like I could eat more if I worked harder.

I put myself on maintenance calories last week (still at sedentary) and lost another pound-ish. At 110 now I really don't think losing more is the best idea but am confused about adding the "lightly active" option.

My question is this...if I add the "lightly active option" do I no longer eat my calories back? It has given me 1440 (5'4, 110lbs) for sedentary and about 1600 if I choose lightly active. As I frequently burn 300-400 on a run/cycle I would generally be inclined to eat them back.

Can anyone help me and make it clear?

Thanks in advance!

MFPs maintenence cals are too low! it sets me net 1600 (so i eat back exercise calories) when in actual fact i eat NET 2000!

just set your calorie goal manually, upping it till you stop losing.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I found it best to just custom set my goal calories increasing a little at a time (weekly) until I found my maintenance level.

It took a little while to fine tune but it also gives you confidence in the mathematics of calories in / calories out.

When you think about it everything to do with weight control is an estimate - from calories consumed, burned, BMR etc.
    It's only really by trial and error you find what number of calories works for you.

Almost forgot - congratulations on reaching your goal.
    :flowerforyou:
  • TheYoungys
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your advice and for the congrats. I didn't have much to lose so always feel a bit shy of accepting plaudits considering there are some really tremendous stories of achievements on here. That said I am happy to have MFP and the advice and support of the folk on here.

I will see how I get on this week and if weight is lost I will be adding (custom) a few more calories until it settles down.

Thanks again, you are all brill! :-)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

Thanks in advance!

Just saw this. Thanks very much for the clarity! :-)

I think it's a good idea if you're still losing weight to increase your MFP activity level so you'll be given some more calories to eat. That ought to keep you from losing. You just have to find that sweet spot where you maintain and then stick with it. I had the same problem. I kept losing when I really didn't need or want to anymore. So I bumped my activity up from sedentary to lightly active and of course kept eating my exercise calories. It was only about 150 calories difference, but it worked. Since then, I've maintained easily. Good luck! :drinker:
  • ThatDamnRobyn
    ThatDamnRobyn Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    So, what I'm gathering is that if you are sedentary all day EXCEPT for your exercise, but you exercise each day, to just choose sedentary and add in your exercise? As opposed to assuming that the exercise itself makes you "active" and choosing that but not inputting your exercise?
    I'm still sorta confused. I have mine at sedentary because many days I am sitting at a desk or piddling around the house or going to the grocery store. But I do exercise almost every day, like yoga plus weights or yoga plus cardio. Right now I have mine set at sedentary and then add those in separately each day. I don't mean to be dense, but I'm not sure I'm clear on it all.